Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si Sport Pkg
Tappet Noise

Try and try again friends. I asked that the shop foreman listen to my noisy valve train a year ago. 2007 3.0si Xdrive. The response was that they couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. Well now that the original warranty has run out (aka free job) I asked that they take another listen. Amazingly there is now excessive noise. Thank God I have the remaining CPO warranty. A $50.00 co-pay. New exhaust lifters and associated roller rockers installed and now blessedly quiet as it should have been from day one. So be persistent.

Last edited by turbotom; 04-24-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 X3 3.0i
CarTalk mentioned that a loose spark plug can sound just like tappet noise; tick tick tick.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotom View Post
Try and try again friends. I asked that the shop foreman listen to my noisy valve train a year ago. 2007 3.0si Xdrive. The response was that they couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. Well now that the original warranty has run out (aka free job) I asked that they take another listen. Amazingly there is now excessive noise. Thank God I have the remaining CPO warranty. A $50.00 co-pay. New exhaust lifters and associated roller rockers installed and now blessedly quiet as it should have been from day one. So be persistent.
I never heard the valve noise. When I brought my car in for routine servicing the SA insisted he heard something, I still couldn't hear it. But they replaced the lifter unit.

Quite a bit different from your experience. Dealers vary!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 AM

spokelizard
I was wondering which dealership did that for you.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotom View Post
spokelizard
I was wondering which dealership did that for you.
I was going to PM you, since generally I (and others) don't specify dealer names here. But as I thought about it, while I don't like the idea of using these forums to spread negative comments about a dealer, why not for a positive comment?

Are you in NoCal or SoCal? I bought my car at Stevens Creek BMW in Santa Clara. I've used them for servicing and I've been very happy with them. The SA who caught the noisy lifters is no longer there, but Steve Bertolacci is the SA I use now and he's both knowledgeable and responsive.

BTW a year later the ticking came back and the entire head was replaced by a redesigned head under warranty. If your CPO warranty is almost over, you'll want to make sure the lifter replacement has solved the problem, since changing the head (the next step if lifter replacement doesn't work) out of pocket would be prohibitively expensive.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your thoughts on mentioning dealerships. Dealer bashing is not productive as there are always unsatisfied customers no matter what they do. I am a NorCal Bimmerphile. I have used Stevens Creek BMW, Peter Pan BMW and Seaside BMW for work. The personnel we interact with make or break the experience and our attitude going in affects the outcome greatly.

Good luck with your X3 down the road and once again thanks for the reply.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Service Bulletins?

Are there any service bulletins for the 2007 N52 engine pertaining to this?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Yes there is an SIB. BMW SIB 11 09 07 as listed on my R.O.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Does outside temperature matter for the ticking to happen? I currently have my car at dealer and they cannot reproduce the vibration/ticking noise. Just about every time I have driven the car for the last month in stop and go city traffic the car has started to vibrate with the chatter noise. Just now the temperatures in the Chicago area have gone from the 30's to the 80's. I told him to keep it another day to test it again.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Tappet Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
Does outside temperature matter for the ticking to happen? I currently have my car at dealer and they cannot reproduce the vibration/ticking noise. Just about every time I have driven the car for the last month in stop and go city traffic the car has started to vibrate with the chatter noise. Just now the temperatures in the Chicago area have gone from the 30's to the 80's. I told him to keep it another day to test it again.
Yes. The n52 ticking valve lifter noise is most pronounced in cold weather. Google n52 ticking lifters for your reading pleasure.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 PM

mtbrdad, I usually noticed the ticking to be most pronounced when cold. Outside temps here do not go to the extremes you get in IL. I am a native of Naperville and am glad I live in California now. I never really experienced any valve train related vibrations. Only ticking noise from start up until after many miles of Highway driving. I did, however, previously experience a howl/vibration at about 45-55 mph. The transfer case was replaced under warranty at that time.