Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-24-2013, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 01 e38 sport
speaker polarity for tweeters

hi folks, i have an 01e38 sport with nav/dsp.i am upgrading the speakers with MBQUART 0sc213. on the front door the wires for the tweeters are green ,and black, on the mid bass it is green-, and green/black+. so im thinking that the tweeter is black+ and green-. feel free to chime in as i have my soldering iron hot.
Ads by Google
Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Pretty sure on BMW's if it has a black strip or brown strip, thats the ground. I put MB's on my fronts also. I had to mount the tweets where the mid go's, because the factory tweet hole was to small. The wires I used for - had a brown strip or black strip. The wires at the doors are a differant color then the DSP amp pin out colors.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 PM

tweets

thanks for the info,do you have dsp?.the tweeter location is small, but you could have pulled the plastic ring out and they would fit perfect ,just need glue gun. the rears just drop in. what did you do with your mids up front?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 PM

I put my tweets in the mid location. I just cut the wires and used them. I put my amps in the trunk so I tapped into the wires for everything at the DSP amp, useing the DSP amp pinout you can find online by typeing in "DSP amp pinout". I put my MB mids in the woofer location. The crossovers are in the trunk by the DSP amp. I ran the wires from my aftermarket amps to the crossovers by the DSP amp and just used the factory wires from there foward. I just cut the wires coming out of the DSP amp for the mid and woofer and just wired those to the MB crossover for the MB mids and tweets up front.

Dont know if I explained that well. I could take a pic of my crossovers/wiring at the DSP amp if you need it. I unpluged all the connectors from the factory DSP amp so it does'nt even power up.

Last edited by JasonSC540ia; 04-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSC540ia View Post
I put my tweets in the mid location. I just cut the wires and used them. I put my amps in the trunk so I tapped into the wires for everything at the DSP amp, useing the DSP amp pinout you can find online by typeing in "DSP amp pinout". I put my MB mids in the woofer location. The crossovers are in the trunk by the DSP amp. I ran the wires from my aftermarket amps to the crossovers by the DSP amp and just used the factory wires from there foward. I just cut the wires coming out of the DSP amp for the mid and woofer and just wired those to the MB crossover for the MB mids and tweets up front.

Dont know if I explained that well. I could take a pic of my crossovers/wiring at the DSP amp if you need it. I unpluged all the connectors from the factory DSP amp so it does'nt even power up.
wow, that sounds sweet.so you are not using the dsp amp at all,ok,yeah i would like a pic of that whenever you can do it,maybe i will swap out the amp if its not too complicated.again,thank you. cheers!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 PM

As requested. Keep I mind I changed my head unit and ran RCA's to the apms in the trunk. A single DIN radio fits perfect where the tape deck is. I also replaced 2 of the 4 "woofers" in the package rack with 2 3-way Kenwoods.