Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
Paddle Retrofit.....Success!

Well the 2nd try worked out to be the charm. Got my F01 fitted with functioning paddles and upgraded to the M-Sport steering wheel as well. Eventually I had to swap out my steering wheel control cluster along with my old sport steering wheel. Only one issue is I have to be in DS driving mode for the paddles to work. Apparently this is how the 7's are coded I am told. They won't work in just regular driving mode. Nevertheless, I LOVE THEM! So nice to fully have instant control of the transmission whenever I want, really changes the feel of the car!

Here are some pics.

Parts needed:
1. New M-Sport Steering wheel with paddles (Cost me $730)
2. New Steering cluster - $420 (Part # 61319297781). You may not need this if you car is a later model and has this new one already. Mine didn't which is why the first try failed.
3. Airbag? If you have an M-Sport wheel or regular Sport wheel already your airbag is interchangeable. If you have a non-sport wheel you will need a new airbag. Can be pricey new. eBay is probably your best bet for this item.

From what I know I was the first one ever to get an F01/F02 successfully retrofitted with paddles!

If you want your own set talk to Patryk. www.bimmer-tech.net Also email at info@bimmer-tech.net

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.

Last edited by rajeek; 04-25-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Great upgrade, so it didn't need the updated steering wheel control unit in addition to the control stalk switch assembly? That's even better and keeps the cost down. Def my next mod, can't wait.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer750LI View Post
Great upgrade, so it didn't need the updated steering wheel control unit in addition to the control stalk switch assembly? That's even better and keeps the cost down. Def my next mod, can't wait.
Just wanted to add. Don't forget to sell your old steering wheel and steering cluster (if needed). That will certainly put this in the affordable range for most all after net costs.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Superb work!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
I did this on my 3 series awhile back. You have to click the shifter over in DS mode on that model also.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer750LI View Post
Only needed new wheel and control stalk that is all. Some later MY cars will not even need the latter.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
Rajeek, If I already have an M-sport steeing wheel, do you think I could just add the paddles? Did Patryk need to code anything or would just have adding the parts (wheel/control stalk) make it work?

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
Rajeek, If I already have an M-sport steeing wheel, do you think I could just add the paddles? Did Patryk need to code anything or would just have adding the parts (wheel/control stalk) make it work?
Sadly no. There are cutouts at the back of the wheel that need to be there for the paddles to be installed. It has to be a paddle specific wheel. You could just buy the bare bones wheel and use all the other stuff from your wheel now, but the wheel needs to be replaced at a minimum.

Yes, special coding is required to get them up and running.

Last edited by rajeek; 04-25-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM

Thanks! That makes sense... Just a quick question, could sell my M-sport wheel to someone w/ a regular wheel or are the airbags not compatible? (since I assume I can keep my existing airbag if I upgrade to an M-sport w/ Paddle wheel)?

M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600
Paddle Retrofit.....Success!

Congrats! Awesome mod!

Still don't understand why BMW has you switch to DS. Must the only brand to make you work before you can enjoy steering wheel paddles

How fast is the shift response?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
Thanks! That makes sense... Just a quick question, could sell my M-sport wheel to someone w/ a regular wheel or are the airbags not compatible? (since I assume I can keep my existing airbag if I upgrade to an M-sport w/ Paddle wheel)?
Good question. Air bags are interchangeable between M-Sport and regular sport wheels. Non-sport wheel will require a new air bag. I had a sport wheel already so that was just reused.

Will update my original post with that info.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Congrats! Awesome mod!

Still don't understand why BMW has you switch to DS. Must the only brand to make you work before you can enjoy steering wheel paddles

How fast is the shift response?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I was a bit sad about the DS thing, but still thrilled to have paddles. Response is instant. Same as all other BMW's with factory installed paddles that I have driven.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Good question. Air bags are interchangeable between M-Sport and regular sport wheels. Non-sport wheel will require a new air bag. I had a sport wheel already so that was just reused.

Will update my original post with that info.
Cool, thanks for the info!

E38 740i Jet Black
Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i XDrive (F10)
I want to change my F10 regular wheel to sport one and I don't care about paddles alot. Do I need to change the steering cluster or my current one would work? I guess I just need the wheel and the airbag. Am I right?

2012 528i XDrive, Alpine White
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaman View Post
I want to change my F10 regular wheel to sport one and I don't care about paddles alot. Do I need to change the steering cluster or my current one would work? I guess I just need the wheel and the airbag. Am I right?
You will need a sport wheel and a new air bag. That is all.

I have a pristine sport wheel that I will be putting up for sale. PM if interested.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Do they make a central airbag cover/module that's smooth rather than textured? Seems like a smooth one would go better with that M steering wheel.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 PM
BMW Addict

Mein Auto: 13 740i/12 328i
Great job on the retrofit! I really miss the paddle shifters as I've had them on my past 3 BMWs. Unfortunately, my 7 Msport was an early 2013 build where an error in the ordering system didn't include the paddles with the MSport package. BMW offered to build me a new car or just give me a credit, so I just took the latter, but I miss the paddles for those times where you need to shift instead of having to use the beer tap shifter. And FYI, all BMWs with paddles only work in DS mode.
2009 335i Jet Black/Oyster/Dark Burl (Sold)
2007 X5 Black Sapphire/Beige (Sold)
2007 335iC Alpine White/Red (ED 11/15/06) (Sold)
2004 545ia Jet Black/Black (Retired)
2001 525ia Jet Black/Sand (Retired)
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 PM
BMW Addict

Mein Auto: 13 740i/12 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG13 View Post
Do they make a central airbag cover/module that's smooth rather than textured? Seems like a smooth one would go better with that M steering wheel.
Negative on the smooth airbag cover. It's the one cheap thing that the 6er and 7ers with Nappa leather option should provide. The airbag cover would look so much better with leather stitched cover or at least a smooth vinyl finish as opposed to the grainy look that is same in a 1 series.
2009 335i Jet Black/Oyster/Dark Burl (Sold)
2007 X5 Black Sapphire/Beige (Sold)
2007 335iC Alpine White/Red (ED 11/15/06) (Sold)
2004 545ia Jet Black/Black (Retired)
2001 525ia Jet Black/Sand (Retired)
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Thanks Raj for choosing BimmerTech... again!

If anyone is interested in doing this retrofit we still have brand new M sport steering wheels with paddles in stock now. We can supply the complete kit to retrofit the paddle shifters in any F01/02 or F10.
Drop us an email with your VIN and location to get a quote.

Thanks!
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 750li
beauty! question how did you get your speedo gauges like that!?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Thanks Raj for choosing BimmerTech... again!

If anyone is interested in doing this retrofit we still have brand new M sport steering wheels with paddles in stock now. We can supply the complete kit to retrofit the paddle shifters in any F01/02 or F10.
Drop us an email with your VIN and location to get a quote.

Thanks!
Sent you an email.

E38 740i Jet Black
Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb750 View Post
beauty! question how did you get your speedo gauges like that!?
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...panel-retrofit
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on
Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Now that you've had them for a while, how do you like your new gauges? Do they still have that 'wow' factor to you yourself (not others who see them for the first time) or has the novelty worn off? Are they any more functional in everyday use (i.e.: are navigation indicators on the cluster more useful than on the prior cluster)? Do they feel any less 'luxurious' than the analog instruments? Wondering your actual thoughts...

Last edited by dbs600; 04-26-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Very nice indeed.

2 questions if I may:

1. How do you tell if you need the new steering cluster or not?
2. Do you need to recode the car after making the steering wheel change?

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Now that you've had them for a while, how do you like your new gauges? Do they still have that 'wow' factor to you yourself (not others who see them for the first time) or has the novelty worn off? Are they any more functional in everyday use (i.e.: are navigation indicators on the cluster more useful than on the prior cluster)? Do they feel any less 'luxurious' than the analog instruments? Wondering your actual thoughts...
I still love the new panel. My only wish and this is just personal preference is that the sport red dials would only appear on Sport + vs Sport/Sport +. That is all. Otherwise still love it. It also displays 5 lines of info for songs and phone lists which is very nice.