Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
Very nice indeed.

2 questions if I may:

1. How do you tell if you need the new steering cluster or not?
2. Do you need to recode the car after making the steering wheel change?
1. You would probably have to email Patryk with your VIN and he would be able to hash out the parts your car has in it currently. He is the expert on that.
2. Yes, Coding is needed to activate the paddles.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnin View Post
And FYI, all BMWs with paddles only work in DS mode.
That's incorrect. F10 5-er can shift with paddles in D mode. In fact if your F10 has paddles, you don't have DS mode at all.

Nice work on the retrofit, looks awesome!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:29 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
That's incorrect. F10 5-er can shift with paddles in D mode. In fact if your F10 has paddles, you don't have DS mode at all.

Nice work on the retrofit, looks awesome!
Yes, the F10 can shift with paddles in the D mode, but not the F01/02.
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on
Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: F10 '11 535i xdrive
This is a very nice mod!
I am sure I will be doing this myself on my '11 F10 at some point soon. Love it!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM
SWB3

Mein Auto: 2014 i8 and some others
Paddle Retrofit.....Success!

Rajeek, that looks great and thanks for the feedback and sharing info on the cluster I have my coding scheduled with Patryk next week.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: '10 740Li
Enjoy your paddles. One question, which side is the + on right or left? Also where did you get the black airbag bmw emblem?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaranE View Post
Enjoy your paddles. One question, which side is the + on right or left? Also where did you get the black airbag bmw emblem?
+ on right. - on left.

eBay for the special emblem. It is a thick carbon fiber sticker.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.

Last edited by rajeek; 04-26-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:15 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Re: Paddle Retrofit.....Success!

Well done rajeek!

I enjoy your posts and unique yet tastefully performed mods.
I love a nice thick chunky steering wheel like that!

Sent from my EVO using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Well done rajeek!

I enjoy your posts and unique yet tastefully performed mods.
I love a nice thick chunky steering wheel like that!

Sent from my EVO using BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks man. Now get some pics of your ride up. You guys have started me looking into 22's now!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:14 AM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
Just put the order in w/ Patryk, thanks again for the two of you doing all the legwork on this retrofit. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly, can't wait!

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Taillight LCI Tint | Mtec V3 Halo LED | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
Just put the order in w/ Patryk, thanks again for the two of you doing all the legwork on this retrofit. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly, can't wait!
Good luck. This was one of my most basic retrofits so should go easily! Pics when done!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks! Glad to hear it, will do!

M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Taillight LCI Tint | Mtec V3 Halo LED | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 04-27-2013, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li

So I kept reading here you can't use the paddle shifters without being in D/S mode, I was driving on the freeway today, in comfort +, hit my downshift paddle and knocked it down to 7 then 6, and back up to 8, not in D/S mode, yours could be a coding problem?

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popoemt View Post
So I kept reading here you can't use the paddle shifters without being in D/S mode, I was driving on the freeway today, in comfort +, hit my downshift paddle and knocked it down to 7 then 6, and back up to 8, not in D/S mode, yours could be a coding problem?

Thanks. Will have Patryk look into this. That is the only downside of the paddles right now. Gonna work with him to try and get it like yours then. If we can get it coded that way it would be perfect then!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Thanks. Will have Patryk look into this. That is the only downside of the paddles right now. Gonna work with him to try and get it like yours then. If we can get it coded that way it would be perfect then!
I'd be curious what the answer is! This is great work brother, you're rocking it on the DIY stuff... Very cool, V/r, Tim

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popoemt View Post
I'd be curious what the answer is! This is great work brother, you're rocking it on the DIY stuff... Very cool, V/r, Tim

Thanks!

Ya, I thought it was a little odd about the DS mode only. The 2013 7 manual confirms what you say when I just reviewed it. That is how it has been in all other 5's I was in, so I was a bit surprised with the way it is now. I have emailed him all this. Lets cross our fingers that hopefully it is just a coding issue. Will post with his updates.

Last edited by rajeek; 04-27-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: '10 740Li
Quote:
Thanks!

Ya, I thought it was a little odd about the DS mode only. The 2013 7 manual confirms what you say when I just reviewed it. That is how it has been in all other 5's I was in, so I was a bit surprised with the way it is now. I have emailed him all this. Lets cross our fingers that hopefully it is just a coding issue. Will post with his updates.
It might be a new feature with the LCIs and the new 8spd.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaranE View Post
It might be a new feature with the LCIs and the new 8spd.
Valid point that I was thinking of also, however F10's with 6 speed do it. Hopefully we can find a way to mimick that in the 7's. I will let Patryk investigate, he is the guru on this stuff.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Great upgrade! You are paving the way for retrofits on the F01! I still can't get over how cool your instrument cluster is.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
Great upgrade! You are paving the way for retrofits on the F01! I still can't get over how cool your instrument cluster is.
Thanks. The only other retrofit left for me currently would the LCI LED's......gonna pass on that though. Don't want to drop 8K+ for parts and labor.

Next is springs and 22's! Hope that will be it....for now. :-)

Old 04-27-2013, 08:58 PM
David

Quote:
Thanks. The only other retrofit left for me currently would the LCI LED's......gonna pass on that though. Don't want to drop 8K+ for parts and labor.

Next is springs and 22's! Hope that will be it....for now. :-)
Yeah I agree the cost is just way too much for is here in the US. Probably more worth it in the countries where the 7s cost two times as much.

What wheels are you considering?

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah I agree the cost is just way too much for is here in the US. Probably more worth it in the countries where the 7s cost two times as much.

What wheels are you considering?
Currently like the M310's from Avant Garde and the F14's from Forgestar.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Strangely, I wouldn't mind having to have it in DS first. That's the way it works on my E38 w/ a retrofit so I'm kind of used to it. Also, I can just imagine someone else driving the car, accidentally hitting the "-" then going down the freeway in 3rd gear for 40 miles!

E38 740i Jet Black
Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 PM
David

Quote:
Currently like the M310's from Avant Garde and the F14's from Forgestar.
Nice! I really love that style of wheel. I haven't read anything bad about either brand, but given the two I would probably go for the Forgestar as it seems like one of the best values out there.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of whatever you choose.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Nice! I really love that style of wheel. I haven't read anything bad about either brand, but given the two I would probably go for the Forgestar as it seems like one of the best values out there.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of whatever you choose.
Going with the F14's in 20's now. There were really no tires that could handle the full load requirement of the car in 22's with it going to be lowered. Oh well. Still should be amazing.