Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
TTurboFest

Mein Auto: F02 (750Li)
Great mod , how do I know if I have the sport steering wheels?

Coded, BMS S1 431whp/479wtq 93 Oct /Run Conditions 91*F
Options: Camera Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Driver asst, F&R Luxury Seating, Prem/Sound, Rear Entertainment, Sport Pkg, Massage rear seats, Ceramic Controls, Active Cruise, SmarthPhone Int., Night Vision, Head-UP Display, Sat, Leather Wrapped Dash&Doors.
(N54 E82 135i) JB4 ISO FBO, 4434whp & 470wtq / Run Conditions 90.28 *F
Old 05-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
You already have the sport wheel since you have the sport option. You will need a new M wheel, but can reuse your airbag. You will also need a new steering cluster like I did based on the year of your vehicle. Enjoy if you decide to do it!

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
Thanks to Rajeek and Patryk for all their work getting this going! Got the new steering wheel and cluster in yesterday, installed it and had it remotely programmed today. Works like a charm. It was the one thing that was holding me back from a F0x (since I managed to mod my E38 to have them and felt like I was going backwards by not having it on my F0x) and I hated the fact that F10s had them optionally and that BMW of course decides to wait until 2013 (or maybe 2012) to have it on the F0x. This really makes the car!

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Taillight LCI Tint | Mtec V3 Halo LED | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded

Last edited by aom; 05-16-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 AM
RocknDoc

Mein Auto: 2012 F02 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
Thanks to Rajeek and Patryk for all their work getting this going! Got the new steering wheel and cluster in yesterday, installed it and had it remotely programmed today. Works like a charm. It was the one thing that was holding me back from a F0x (since I managed to mod my E38 to have them and felt like I was gong backwards by not having it on my F0x) and I hated the fact that F10s had them optionally and that BMW of course decides to wait until 2013 (or maybe 2012) to have it on the F0x. This really makes the car!
Did you guys loose the heated steering wheel option in the mod process going to the paddle shifters?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
Thanks to Rajeek and Patryk for all their work getting this going! Got the new steering wheel and cluster in yesterday, installed it and had it remotely programmed today. Works like a charm. It was the one thing that was holding me back from a F0x (since I managed to mod my E38 to have them and felt like I was gong backwards by not having it on my F0x) and I hated the fact that F10s had them optionally and that BMW of course decides to wait until 2013 (or maybe 2012) to have it on the F0x. This really makes the car!
Congrats man. I love just using the paddles especially on the freeway. Anytime I want to pass in a hurry, just drop it to 4th in two quick clicks and I am off like a banshee. Enjoy!

See you soon at Bimmerfest!!!!!

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haastx10 View Post
Did you guys loose the heated steering wheel option in the mod process going to the paddle shifters?
Nope, I purchased a M Wheel with heating. Nothing lost, only paddles gained.

On another note, if you just have the sports wheel and not the M one, the wheel upgrade itself is amazing. The better grip and feel of the soft leather is just the best.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Congrats man. I love just using the paddles especially on the freeway. Anytime I want to pass in a hurry, just drop it to 4th in two quick clicks and I am off like a banshee. Enjoy!

See you soon at Bimmerfest!!!!!
Thanks, well, it was all you and Patryk! Yeah I love being able to do that and also, when taking on ramps or curves, it's great to control the gear box w/o having to take a hand off the wheel. It's a safety feature I tell ya!

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Taillight LCI Tint | Mtec V3 Halo LED | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded

Last edited by aom; 05-20-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 PM
RocknDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popoemt View Post
So I kept reading here you can't use the paddle shifters without being in D/S mode, I was driving on the freeway today, in comfort +, hit my downshift paddle and knocked it down to 7 then 6, and back up to 8, not in D/S mode, yours could be a coding problem?
Quote:
Thanks. Will have Patryk look into this. That is the only downside of the paddles right now. Gonna work with him to try and get it like yours then. If we can get it coded that way it would be perfect then!
So I just ordered my new wheel with paddle shifters from Patryk. I asked him about the "D/S" mode issue and he said on some it works only in that mode and on others it works in "D". I ran this by my BMW installer and he said they had a software issue on the earlier cars which wouldn't recognize the sport mode and activate the paddle shifters... fixed with software update apparently. That may be what the earlier cars doing this retro need if an update is available...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works on mine in the "D" mode also. I'll post results as soon as I get instal and coding in about two weeks!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
So I just ordered my new wheel with paddle shifters from Patryk. I asked him about the "D/S" mode issue and he said on some it works only in that mode and on others it works in "D". I ran this by my BMW installer and he said they had a software issue on the earlier cars which wouldn't recognize the sport mode and activate the paddle shifters... fixed with software update apparently. That may be what the earlier cars doing this retro need if an update is available...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works on mine in the "D" mode also. I'll post results as soon as I get instal and coding in about two weeks!
EXCELLENT. You will love them. Please keep up up to date on your D vs DS functioning. If this update thing is true that would be just gravy.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 PM
RocknDoc

Quote:
EXCELLENT. You will love them. Please keep up up to date on your D vs DS functioning. If this update thing is true that would be just gravy.
Rajeek... I've got your back! Thanks for all you've done to take a chance and pioneer on this forum!!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Rajeek... I've got your back! Thanks for all you've done to take a chance and pioneer on this forum!!
No worries. I want all of us to love our cars with a little mod here and there. I have run out of stuff for the time being. I just can't justify the LED headlights although that is all that is left I think.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Can that be retrofitted??

Mein Auto: 740d (F01)
Re: Paddle Retrofit.....Success!

I just had mine done by Patryk too.
I had the msport wheel anyhow so just needed a swap of the wheel and a bit of coding.

I agree though it a bit crazy you have to be in ds before the paddles will work. Used to have an Audi S8 which didn't do this... think it's a BMW quirk!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
I noticed that the bezel is different. I've never seen that bezel accept in a focus group some time last year, about what the new BMW F01/02's were going to look like and include touch screen. Anyone else have the bezel shown on the first page of this thread?

2013 750i (F01) :: M-Sport | Executive Pkg (BMW Apps / Ceramic Controls / Front Ventilated Seats / Power rear & side window sunshades rear sunshade / Smartphone Integration / Head-up Display / Instrument panel with Napa leather) | Rear Entertainment Pkg | 20" 303 5 spoke wheels
Old 06-03-2013, 03:22 PM
RocknDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9877 View Post
I just had mine done by Patryk too.
I had the msport wheel anyhow so just needed a swap of the wheel and a bit of coding.

I agree though it a bit crazy you have to be in ds before the paddles will work. Used to have an Audi S8 which didn't do this... think it's a BMW quirk!
What year is your 7? Seems that it makes a difference depending on the software version your car is running on... I'll get the coding done next week so we'll see how it works on a '12.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
What year is your 7? Seems that it makes a difference depending on the software version your car is running on... I'll get the coding done next week so we'll see how it works on a '12.
Mines a Euro spec. 2011 model.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9877 View Post
Mines a Euro spec. 2011 model.
I see. That's why the bezel is different. Your bezel looks like what I was shown in a focus group earlier this year. A lot of what I saw is in production, except for the touch screen technology, which essentially makes the display a functioning tablet computer, and allows you to manipulate things several levels deep. Oh, and the touch scribble pad on top of the idrive. I think Audi has something like that.

2013 750i (F01) :: M-Sport | Executive Pkg (BMW Apps / Ceramic Controls / Front Ventilated Seats / Power rear & side window sunshades rear sunshade / Smartphone Integration / Head-up Display / Instrument panel with Napa leather) | Rear Entertainment Pkg | 20" 303 5 spoke wheels
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)

Quote:
No worries. I want all of us to love our cars with a little mod here and there. I have run out of stuff for the time being. I just can't justify the LED headlights although that is all that is left I think.
Why does your post have a date of 1969...

Oh and you still have some 22s to go.

~Big Marcus
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Why does your post have a date of 1969...

Oh and you still have some 22s to go.

~Big Marcus
Not seeing the 1969, maybe I'm missing something.

Opted against the 22's because of the load issues it was creating with the tires. Went with 20's that are in the final phase of fabrication. Would have liked 21's but that size is very limited for tires and rims. Should have them next week!

Last edited by rajeek; 06-06-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)

Quote:
Not seeing the 1969, maybe I'm missing something.

Opted against the 22's because of the load issues it was creating with the tires. Went with 20's that are in the final phase of fabrication. Would have liked 21's but that size is very limited for tires and rims. Should have them next week!
Strange... The date is normal now.
My phone is prob having a twilight zone moment.
I feel you on the wheels. If I weren't in such a nice roads area, I wouldn't even consider them.

~Big Marcus
Old 06-10-2013, 03:40 PM
RocknDoc

Quote:
Just got the coding done on the paddle shifters....

They work great... but again you have to be in M/S mode for them to be active... So having a 2012 didn't make the difference. Probably something in the core software...

Still a nice addition and the whole process with Bimmertech was easy!!

Thank you Patryk!!!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Just got the coding done on the paddle shifters....

They work great... but again you have to be in M/S mode for them to be active... So having a 2012 didn't make the difference. Probably something in the core software...

Still a nice addition and the whole process with Bimmertech was easy!!

Thank you Patryk!!!
Congrats. Enjoy. Really bring the car to life when you feel like it!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:47 PM
RocknDoc

Quote:
Thanks Rajeek... She already purrrrs with the Stage III Dinan... but kinda completes the transition from stock...

Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
I'm probably one of the very few people who don't really appreciate paddle shifters. Maybe because deep inside I'm still the passionate manual transmission driver I used to be for a very long time especially as I was younger.
Whatever it is, I use the joystick shift even on my m3 over the paddles. My son makes fun of me because of this :-)

Old 06-10-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
I'm probably one of the very few people who don't really appreciate paddle shifters. Maybe because deep inside I'm still the passionate manual transmission driver I used to be for a very long time especially as I was younger.
Whatever it is, I use the joystick shift even on my m3 over the paddles. My son makes fun of me because of this :-)
If you're referring to the m3 smg gearbox then isn't that just a semi-auto box anyhow...with the "paddles" function being on the gearstick? (yes I know there are differences in the box etc but in reality they can both be fully or semi-auto).

One interesting note is that when using the paddles the gearbox really does hold the gear right into the red line... It really is very direct.

Also for the 0-60 club...you can put the gearbox into 2nd from a standstill allowing you to set off in second (on my 750d the first gear is fairly short and only really useful for crawling. For my American cousins who still don't believe in diesel I'm currently running 400hp and 800nm torque... with only a moderate engine remap. Oh and still getting 40+mpg on a mixed city/motorway run!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 PM
RocknDoc

Quote:
OK... so I went back through the owners manuals at My BMW, for the 2012 & 2013 7's. Turns out the paddles were never a factory option until 2013, and on those cars they engage when in "D" but default back to auto mode when not used. I'll bet there's some other setting that needs to be coded for them to work in "D" mode but who knows what that is?