Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328I xdrive
Stone into windshield

So I'm driving to work this morning and a truck passing from the opposite direction somehow sent an object that I think was a stone..Bang!!
It hit in the low part of the windshield on the driver side. There was a little glass on the dash but not much. The cracks worked their way out from the impact. I have 1,825 miles on my 328xi.
Finally my question... Insurance Will pay but I want to make sure the replacement is of the same quality as original. Should an authorized BMW service center perform the job? How do I make sure this is original BMW parts, and will I develop rattles because of the change?
Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: E90 335i xDrive
Stone into windshield

BMW uses Pilkington glass. It should have BMW logo

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Save the manuals
Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Windshields are no big deal .... have had two done in my driveway (about $400 each) by a good local independent glass shop using Pilkington glass.

Your BMW dealer will just sub this out and charge your insurance company $1200.

Work it out with your insurance co to minimize / eliminate your out of pocket.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 04-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
I used Safelite two years ago for $600. The glass will have BMW logo on it. Mine was St Gobain (not Pilkington) from the factory and was replaced by St Gobain. However, it IS different from OEM as far as shading on the top goes, but it works perfectly fine and windshield wipers work properly.

If I were in your place, and if there will be NO cost whatsoever for you in this - I would take it to the dealer. As long as your insurance pays 100% and no penalty later for you, why not take it to the BMW dealer?

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: E90 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
I used Safelite two years ago for $600. The glass will have BMW logo on it. Mine was St Gobain (not Pilkington) from the factory and was replaced by St Gobain. However, it IS different from OEM as far as shading on the top goes, but it works perfectly fine and windshield wipers work properly.

If I were in your place, and if there will be NO cost whatsoever for you in this - I would take it to the dealer. As long as your insurance pays 100% and no penalty later for you, why not take it to the BMW dealer?
You are a lucky guy I've heard the Saint-Gobain Sekurit glass withstands rockchips better than Pilkington.
Most glass places have the windshields stocked from the same manufacturers as your OEM glass but without the make logo, the dealer most probably will subcontract the windshield replacement to the same glass place you might go for the replacement anyway.

Save the manuals
Old 04-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 Saloon
JUST had mine done a couple of weeks ago. About a 12" crack near the base of the windshield then worked it's way up. $500 deductible with my insurance and Safelite came out and replaced with BMW OEM factory glass. The guy replaced it in about 1 hour in my driveway. Pretty cool to watch him also. I see no reason why your insurance would not cover OEM glass but I would make sure they do and make sure you see the BMW logo on the glass before installing.

side note if you have rain sensing wipers. Make sure your guy knows he needs to take the condenstation sensor out of the current and put it in the new with a "kit". This is different than the actual rain sensing device. The first guy was clueless about this and thought he needed to get a another windshield. So he left and I immediately called Safelite and described what just happened as I was like, you have my VIN, etc. how could you send out the wrong replacement?? 2nd guy was much more knowledgable and I felt comfortable him replacing it. Looks great and would never know it's replaced. Just glad I did not put my Austrian vignette on there during my ED!

See attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	373160  

ED - 5.14.10
ED Drop off - 5.22.10
Car arrived in Brunswick, GA - 6.21.10
Released from Customs - 6.25.10
PCD Redelivery - 7.12.10

Picking up the car at the Welt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Ulzi58u6I
My 140MPH A92 run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRej5VEQpmc

ED May 14, 2010
Old 04-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
You are a lucky guy I've heard the Saint-Gobain Sekurit glass withstands rockchips better than Pilkington.
Most glass places have the windshields stocked from the same manufacturers as your OEM glass but without the make logo, the dealer most probably will subcontract the windshield replacement to the same glass place you might go for the replacement anyway.
I can't say, never had Pilkington

Sure, I went with SAfelite because, in my State (Ohio), glass is not mandatory included without deductible and it counts as comprehensive. So, I was looking at paying basically the same money by paying all $600 without involving insurance to SAfelite with respect to involving insurance and going to the dealer - but with penalty of using my comprehensive insurance.

If OP is in a State where glass is no-fault fully paid by insurance incident, I don't see a reason not to go to a dealer.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
No comment on the St. Gobain vs Pilkington supplier quality. My car has the Pilkington glass also. I recently opted for crack repair waiting for a more significant hit to come which is a matter of time in Texas. My cost was going to be $408 for a Pilkington non BMW marked piece. The way it was explained to me is Pilkington manufactures say 8000 unit for model year 2012. BMW buys 5000 of them and they are picked from the 8000 and receive the BMW marking. The others are sold as non marked. The BMW marked option was $586. The glass company told me i would be getting the exact same part but either BMW picked/marked or not. Maybe it is just me but I am not that vain to get the marked one. Also, in Texas the repair is a comprehensive claim and my deductible is $500 so I would have to foot the bill.

Anytime you have a windshield changed, you run the risk of hearing wind noise and/or potential for leak. To OP, drive on freeway to inspect for windnoise. Also, do some sort of water hose spraying or equivalent to inspect for leaks (and check rain sensor while your there). I would do this same day as delivery after repair. Concerning dealer vs glass company doing it. The glass guys are the Pros. I would rather have someone do it that that is all that do all day long.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 335i E93
I just got mine replaced by BMW dealership in London, ON. They used the BMW glass and I just had to pay $300.00 deductible out of the $1275.00 total ($975.02 was covered by insurance). I did not really notice any difference from the windshield that I had before in terms of wind or extra noise.
Another BMW dealership was trying to rip me off by saying they have to install new sensors for rain and light. The one i went to, just took my original sensors and transferred them over to the new windshield.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiego View Post
So I'm driving to work this morning and a truck passing from the opposite direction somehow sent an object that I think was a stone..Bang!!
It hit in the low part of the windshield on the driver side. There was a little glass on the dash but not much. The cracks worked their way out from the impact. I have 1,825 miles on my 328xi.
Finally my question... Insurance Will pay but I want to make sure the replacement is of the same quality as original. Should an authorized BMW service center perform the job? How do I make sure this is original BMW parts, and will I develop rattles because of the change?
Thanks
How big is the cracking? Longer than a dollar bill? If possible a repair is preferable to replacement.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I just filled in a crack on my moms X5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
they drill the end of the crack and fill with glue. I had a 7" crack and they halted its propagation. I took a chance that the drilling would zap the crack out much further but it didn't.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus, Volvo
I have a crack that can't be repaired, and I have a lease. The windshield has to be BMW for turn in. My deductible is $1K and my dealer wants $1900. Can I just use Safelite?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=452731

seems yes