Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Thumbs down Open Letter to BMW

I have to compliment you on being able to keep the hype going. The Ultimate Driving Machine.

This is my first BMW, and I have a total of 5101 miles on my car after a 2K trip. I have a 335i Sportsline with all of the options. It also has Continental SSR run flat tires on it. I have never had run flat tires, and for the 55 years of driving, tire problems was something I never had issues with. On this trip I apparently picked up a small nail. The BMW dealer in Vegas didn't have any tires that would work. Neither did Discount Tire, or Les Schwab. Also apparently, no legit tire store will repair it.

The leak is slow, so I keep filling it, and make it home. I call my dealer and he doesn't have any tires and has no idea what the tire warranty covers. I get in touch with Continental and am told that they will cover the tire. I take it to the dealer to verify that it has a small nail and order a tire. Today, I get a call from the dealer and they tell me that the warranty actually only cover 50% of the cost of the tire. That isn't what the Continental email says.

Now the other small fact is that at Tire Rack, that tire is $283, but at the dealer is $436, and somehow 50% is $236 plus tax. Now my friends which you have to love say, "If you can afford a $60K car, you can afford getting screwed with a bad tire.

Now one other issue that I have noticed with this car, is the Nav system. Now I didn't "pick this option", it came with the car. Most of my travel has been local and so I have only used it 10 times, 4-5 times, in each of these times, it couldn't find the address. These addresses have been here for many years. I have had a mid priced Garmin for many years and the difference is amazing. For $200+/- you first get lifetime maps, at BMW the latest map at least outside major cities is old or lack details. The upgrade is $200+.

The Garmin gives me the street coming up, kind of helpful. It also has altitude, my speed and if over the posted limit, it turns red. Direction and the map is actually current. Finding restaurants, banks etc seem to also be more useful in the Garmin than the BMW nav.

I also one day found that all of my phone numbers were missing from the phone book, so going through a number of pairing and unparings, I use my BMW Assist, I paid for it and was told that they would fix everything. First, the person on the other end, didn't have a clue who I was, like you just dialed a number and they have no clue who you are. I literally have to get out of the car and get the Vin# from the windshield, my name and SS# before he agrees that I am legit. In the end its obvious that he doesn't know that Friday is payday. Lucky for me the salesman knew what to do.

Bottom line is that I have had luxury cars in the past and I feel that buying this BMW was a mistake. I can't afford to dump it, but I will never buy another BMW and I would never recommend that my friends buy one.

I have been reading this forum since I bought the car, and I can see that many of you are thrilled with your car and the others that you have owned in the past. I'm happy for you. I also seen where people had totally unnecessary issues with a new car, that thankfully I haven't had. Maybe all new cars are slipping in quality and issues like a $400 tire that is a throw away, is the normal, but I will not be part of this. Next time, I will do a lot more research before I write the check.

Thanks for your time.

Bill

Last edited by pitzerwm; 04-26-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
You likely won't get much sympathy on this board but I completely understand your issues. I've been driving BMWs for over 35 years, still think they are a good car but they are not perfect. Both of your issues are legit and I agree. I still have a BMW but decided to give Audi a shot. Personally, I think Audi has bettered BMW in a lot of areas including their NAV system, it uses Google maps and has built in internet connection using T-Mobile AND they are not using runflats, you actually get a spare tire and jack. My A6 is a fantastic car and it was close to $10K less than a comparable 528ixdrive. I also had 2 335i verts, both were good cars but the NAV and RFT tires left me wondering why BMW can't do better.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)FOR SALE(see ad on BMWCCA website)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)/PCD
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10/PCD
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
On my E90 i switched to Regular continental tires, for lease vehicle it is extra cost to do this, Run Flat looks very good on paper but in reality like in your case it is utter nightmare for no reason. If BMW force people to take RFT than they should cover it under maintenance plan, they said good for us at our expense. If you own the car i would suggest get Regular tires (my conti cost me $600 for set of 4) with spare donut for $350. it will last you longer and you will be driving a quieter car.
E90 2007
E46 2005

Last edited by IAS; 04-26-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 PM

Thanks rmorin49 and IAS, I understand totally. Having been in business all of my adult life, I don't tend to bend over. I have a few ideas to make my point, that won't go un-noticed. Its amazing that dealers and businesses think that you should just bend over and accept the rip offs.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Your tire story doesn't make sense. First off, Discount Tire does repair RFTs that are repairable. Depending on where the nail is located it sounds like your tire is probably repairable. They examine the interior of the sidewall to determine if the tire has been driven with air pressure that was too low and has caused it to deteriorate, thus yielding the tire not repairable.

btw - you can buy a donut spare for considerably less than $350.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-26-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I m with the thread OP I really hate runflat.... It's a biggest scam on earth... And I don't like BMW quality issues in recent times
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: '91 E30
You buy brand new luxury german car and complain that you had to spend $500 on a tire and that no one else has these new technology tires in stock.
And you want BMW to pay for a tire that is your fault finding a nail on the road. You can warranty factory defect but not a nail on the road. You are not being reasonable at all. If you are cheap, then buy a used Honda, quit complaining about the BMW if you can't afford one.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
On my E90 i switched to Regular continental tires, for lease vehicle it is extra cost to do this, Run Flat looks very good on paper but in reality like in your case it is utter nightmare for no reason. If BMW force people to take RFT than they should cover it under maintenance plan, they said good for us at our expense. If you own the car i would suggest get Regular tires (my conti cost me $600 for set of 4) with spare donut for $350. it will last you longer and you will be driving a quieter car.
+1, the RFT tires on my last 3 out of 4 BMWs were removed immediately and replaced with non-RFTs. I sold the RFTs for enough to buy a set of very good non-RFTs. I buy so no worry about having to put RFTs back on when it's time to trade. If I was leasing, I would take the RFTs off and keep them until the lease is over. I did use the RFTs on my 335 d and picked up a nail, tires were Contis SSRs. The local Continental dealer repaired it with no problem, cost me $20.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)FOR SALE(see ad on BMWCCA website)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)/PCD
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10/PCD
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 04-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
You buy brand new luxury german car and complain that you had to spend $500 on a tire and that no one else has these new technology tires in stock.
And you want BMW to pay for a tire that is your fault finding a nail on the road. You can warranty factory defect but not a nail on the road. You are not being reasonable at all. If you are cheap, then buy a used Honda, quit complaining about the BMW if you can't afford one.
Really?! Really?! You're joking, right?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM

tturedraider, DT did say that some RFT are repairable but the SSRs are not as did LS. I have no idea. Being a businessman, I understand their hesitation to get involved in a liability issue.

I would be interested in where you can get a donut, at a reasonable price, if you could PM me. The sad thing is that it appears that you have to give up some of your trunk area, as where you would expect to put a spare, is too small for one. I'm well aware that most things under $100-$150 are now throw away, I'm not really ready for that to now be $400.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
the $350 donut kit comes with everything to replace a tire. it does not take much space in Trunk.
E90 2007
E46 2005
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
so do you like how it drives?
i had a local tire shop plug a nail hole in my e90 RFTs for $10 and drove for 3 years

Last edited by PK2348; 04-26-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
On my first week of owning the E90, I got a big nail in my tire and had to get it replaced. Really sucked to spend like $350 right after buying the car, but bad luck is bad luck. Can't blame BMW for that.

If you got the warranty though, I'd expect them to cover it. Maybe you got a different one, but the one they advertised when I was buying my cars covered any problem, including simple nails. Maybe they just didn't mention the fine print. Either way I didn't get the warranty.

As far as the other things, the Nav problem sounds like user error, to be honest. We also had some problems with it initially. My wife even carried a Garmin with her just in case the Nav "wouldn't work". A little while later neither of us had any problems anymore. It's definitely not as intuitive as simply entering an address like on Google, but it's also not absolutely useless like you describe.

And lastly, BMW Assist. Was this the first time you ever called them? The very first time is supposed to be just to let them set you up in their system, so it takes a bit of time. After that they should know who you are. Thankfully I never needed to actually use it after the initial call. If this wasn't your first call, then yeah, I would admit that it pretty horrible.

Sorry for your problems. I really like the BMW brand now, and I didn't care about it one bit just 2 years ago. Maybe I've been lucky, but I'm very happy with my last 2 cars, both BMW's.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
+1, the RFT tires on my last 3 out of 4 BMWs were removed immediately and replaced with non-RFTs. I sold the RFTs for enough to buy a set of very good non-RFTs. I buy so no worry about having to put RFTs back on when it's time to trade. If I was leasing, I would take the RFTs off and keep them until the lease is over. I did use the RFTs on my 335 d and picked up a nail, tires were Contis SSRs. The local Continental dealer repaired it with no problem, cost me $20.
BMW should give us options... If we opt out rft we get a sace saver at no extra cost

It's that simple
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
I can't comment on the Nav problems, I don't actually have my car yet. But I consider RFT are the single biggest negative of owning a BMW. I got a set of non- RFT to run in the summer, but plan on suffering with the RF A/S for a few months of the year.

I have had to go to the expense of getting a compressor and tire repair kits for the non run flats. And that still does not offer 100% protection in case of a flat.

When looking to buy performance RFT, the options at TireRack were very very limited.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Re: Open Letter to BMW

I don't care a lot about the rft. Yah it'd be nice if normal tires were a choice but whatever.

Your nav gripe is pretty stupid. They make the cat without Nav. Lots of in car navs are not so good the BMW one is one of the more decent ones. You could have just not gotten it either.

Go buy a merc or an Audi. They won't be any different other than run flats which those makes also had until recently. And they won't drive as well.

You get no sympathy from me

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Open Letter to BMW

Hi,

This is my first bmw. I am wondering, what is all this gripe about the run flat tires? Whats so bad about them?

Sounds like two issues?
Road noise: my previous car (soft top conv) was way louder with regular tires
Hard to replace: both cost and availability.

Are these the only two issues people are complaining about?

Thanks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |
Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 328i RWD SportLine F30
Open Letter to BMW

Personally, I'd never go to the dealer for a tire. Oem tires never tend to be optimal and so many are lrr anyway, tire rack ftw.

It's generally the one thing I never even think to bring to the dealer, as they never carry inventory nor reasonable pricing.

Not to mention warranties on tires are rife with exceptions.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I was very frustrated by the RFTs and the poorly sorted out sports suspension on my 2007 335i..The harshness, and the cars inability to cope with poor road surfaces had me tempted to push the car into the East River.

The problem was alleviated by replacing the RFTs and installing Koni FSD dampers. My 750L is a 2012 and I don't have any issues with the RFTs. I think it took BMW a while to figure out how to design a suspension that works with RFTs, and the RFTs themselves have improved but the early model E9x with sport suspension had a definite issue with ride quality and handling poor road surfaces.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Trend Setter!

Mein Auto: BMW 335i ///M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
Same here.. replaced my RFT with non-RFT 3 years back and the results are amazing... The car feels more comfortable and sporty and I don't hear the pot hole explosions anymore..

I switched to the Continental ExtremeContact DW.. Great tires... I am very pleased with these tires and going to stick to them in future as well..

If you are interested, you can also look at these test results (Note that the comparison has Continental ExtremeContact DWS and not DW... however, both of the tires are very similar):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=165

Last edited by deznium; 04-26-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 AM

Mein Auto: Corvette, 740iL, 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
Yep. You'll won't get much sympathy on this board. Even tho you spent $60K on a 3 Series, they still think you're a cheap bastard for not wanting to spend x amt of $$$ more. They'll defend BMW to the death, esp when you have any criticism about their beloved engineering marvel. That's why even when we're already $16 Trillion in the hole, what's another Trillion or Two? Keep payin' up Sucka's...
Old 04-27-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Have you tried using the bmw remote app to send addresses to your phone? It uses google maps.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
This is my first bmw. I am wondering, what is all this gripe about the run flat tires? Whats so bad about them?

Sounds like two issues?
Road noise: my previous car (soft top conv) was way louder with regular tires
Hard to replace: both cost and availability.

Are these the only two issues people are complaining about?
There is also a handling issue. The tires have very stiff sidewalls as part of the run flat technology. This has good and bad effects, but on a public road, mostly bad. The lack of compliance can make the car "hop" over road irregularities, causing a loss of traction and grip.

I'm pretty sure that while run flats have come a long way since I bought my 535 in 2009, they are still not ideal from a handling point of view. I say this because the BMW M cars (M5, M3, M6, etc.) are equipped with non run-flat tires, specifically Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
OP, I made a similar decision already. I will consider buying a BMW again, but never as a proper car, only as a toy. The problem (for BMW) is that there are many good or even better choices out there if you are getting a car to be simply a toy without any practical use.

Guys, don't lose focus bickering about how bad or how good RFTs are ... that's not the point. The point is that YOU DON'T HAVE A SPARE. Which might work (and it does) absolutely perfectly in Germany and in most of Western Europe. It doesn't work in U.S. - again, if you want that car to be able to go between A and B without unnecessary stops in god-forsaken place with population of 1,000 for a day or two until you get replacement for your shredded tire (RFT or non-RFT) via FedEX from South Bend.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .

Last edited by Mark K; 04-27-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: a car
Open Letter to BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
There is also a handling issue. The tires have very stiff sidewalls as part of the run flat technology. This has good and bad effects, but on a public road, mostly bad. The lack of compliance can make the car "hop" over road irregularities, causing a loss of traction and grip.

I'm pretty sure that while run flats have come a long way since I bought my 535 in 2009, they are still not ideal from a handling point of view. I say this because the BMW M cars (M5, M3, M6, etc.) are equipped with non run-flat tires, specifically Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
I see..

I dont know if u ever rode roller blades but it sounds like the issue of plastic wheels vs. rubber wheels on roller blades. Plastic is harder, worse ride quality, slower speed, and less traction than the rubber. If this is the similar case in rft vs. non rft, then im a little bit disappointed in BMW..

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |