Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
I once had a nail in my RFT. I went to my local gas station, and 20 minutes and $10 (yes, ten, that's not a typo) later, I was back on the road. They pulled out the nail (actually two nails), plugged the hole, and that was more than 5,000 miles ago. I'm still driving the car, with that tire, and everything's fine.

If you went to a place that doesn't know what they're doing ... find a place that does. Let's not make a holy war out of nothing, ok?
2006 BMW Z4 3.0 si (2006-2008)
2008 Infiniti G35x (2008-2010)
2011 BMW 328xi (ED August 31st 2010, Redelivery November 1st, 2010)
2013 BMW 335xi (ED May 6th, 2013, PCD Redelivery August 7th, 2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 AM
conf t

Mein Auto: 2014 328xdT M Sport
As others have said, you won't get much sympathy on these forums, and I will not comment on the other issues & complaints. However, the following paragraph intrigues me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
I call my dealer and he doesn't have any tires and has no idea what the tire warranty covers. I get in touch with Continental and am told that they will cover the tire. I take it to the dealer to verify that it has a small nail and order a tire. Today, I get a call from the dealer and they tell me that the warranty actually only cover 50% of the cost of the tire. That isn't what the Continental email says.
This sounds like the Pirelli road hazard warranty fiasco. Manufacturer says it's covered but dealers pretend it doesn't exist, because they want you to buy BMW's road hazard protection. If you have an email stating that Continental will cover the full price of the tire & the dealer won't play ball, I'd take it to BMWNA. Or call/email Continental for further instructions - they might direct you to a local dealer and make arrangements directly with them.

This is not a debate about tire prices or whether RFT's are viable - to most, they aren't, to others, they are. We all know dealers have huge profit margins on parts, tires & whatnot. The consumer has the final choice on whether one wants to spend money on one thing or the other, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But in this case, it's a matter of whether Conti is backing up its product or not. If they provide road hazard warranty on their new tires, they should have a backend arrangement with their authorized dealers. IANAL, but IMHO you can't sell a product as an authorized dealer without honouring the manufacturer's warranty processes... YMMV

Current: '14 F31 328d xDrive M Sport.
Gone: '09 E90 328i xDrive.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 AM
conf t

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstas View Post
I once had a nail in my RFT. I went to my local gas station, and 20 minutes and $10 (yes, ten, that's not a typo) later, I was back on the road. They pulled out the nail (actually two nails), plugged the hole, and that was more than 5,000 miles ago. I'm still driving the car, with that tire, and everything's fine.

If you went to a place that doesn't know what they're doing ... find a place that does. Let's not make a holy war out of nothing, ok?
You got lucky - some places around here absolutely refuse to even take a look at a nailed RFT. Same thing happened to me, got it repaired but had to sign a waiver (no warranty in case of 2nd leak, blowout, etc).

Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: Corvette, 740iL, 328i
I've replaced my run-flat tires on my Corvettes with non run-flats Nitto 555's at Discount Tires. Great prices, less than half, great grip, great service. Many cars now supply you with a tire repair/inflation kit, in place of a spare tire. So I carry:
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40013-Sm...+tire+inflator
with my non run-flats on Vette. Still much cheaper than replacing with run-flats.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Write to the president of BMWNA. In my experience, they pay attention to things like this.

Quote:
I have to compliment you on being able to keep the hype going. The Ultimate Driving Machine.

This is my first BMW, and I have a total of 5101 miles on my car after a 2K trip. I have a 335i Sportsline with all of the options. It also has Continental SSR run flat tires on it. I have never had run flat tires, and for the 55 years of driving, tire problems was something I never had issues with. On this trip I apparently picked up a small nail. The BMW dealer in Vegas didn't have any tires that would work. Neither did Discount Tire, or Les Schwab. Also apparently, no legit tire store will repair it.

The leak is slow, so I keep filling it, and make it home. I call my dealer and he doesn't have any tires and has no idea what the tire warranty covers. I get in touch with Continental and am told that they will cover the tire. I take it to the dealer to verify that it has a small nail and order a tire. Today, I get a call from the dealer and they tell me that the warranty actually only cover 50% of the cost of the tire. That isn't what the Continental email says.

Now the other small fact is that at Tire Rack, that tire is $283, but at the dealer is $436, and somehow 50% is $236 plus tax. Now my friends which you have to love say, "If you can afford a $60K car, you can afford getting screwed with a bad tire.

Now one other issue that I have noticed with this car, is the Nav system. Now I didn't "pick this option", it came with the car. Most of my travel has been local and so I have only used it 10 times, 4-5 times, in each of these times, it couldn't find the address. These addresses have been here for many years. I have had a mid priced Garmin for many years and the difference is amazing. For $200+/- you first get lifetime maps, at BMW the latest map at least outside major cities is old or lack details. The upgrade is $200+.

The Garmin gives me the street coming up, kind of helpful. It also has altitude, my speed and if over the posted limit, it turns red. Direction and the map is actually current. Finding restaurants, banks etc seem to also be more useful in the Garmin than the BMW nav.

I also one day found that all of my phone numbers were missing from the phone book, so going through a number of pairing and unparings, I use my BMW Assist, I paid for it and was told that they would fix everything. First, the person on the other end, didn't have a clue who I was, like you just dialed a number and they have no clue who you are. I literally have to get out of the car and get the Vin# from the windshield, my name and SS# before he agrees that I am legit. In the end its obvious that he doesn't know that Friday is payday. Lucky for me the salesman knew what to do.

Bottom line is that I have had luxury cars in the past and I feel that buying this BMW was a mistake. I can't afford to dump it, but I will never buy another BMW and I would never recommend that my friends buy one.

I have been reading this forum since I bought the car, and I can see that many of you are thrilled with your car and the others that you have owned in the past. I'm happy for you. I also seen where people had totally unnecessary issues with a new car, that thankfully I haven't had. Maybe all new cars are slipping in quality and issues like a $400 tire that is a throw away, is the normal, but I will not be part of this. Next time, I will do a lot more research before I write the check.

Thanks for your time.

Bill

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
....btw - you can buy a donut spare for considerably less than $350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
Write to the president of BMWNA. In my experience, they pay attention to things like this.
I'm more interested in knowing where to get the sub-350 donut spare.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Open Letter to BMW

I have Conti SSRs, got a nail in one, causing a slow puncture. Discount tire repaired it for free, done about 5k miles since with no issues.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSport; 02 RSX
My Bridgestone RFT warranty booklet says this:
"While the comprehensive procedures and recommendations for tire repair are beyond the scope of this manual, a proper tire repair includes the following:"
See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire fix 1 of 2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	373328   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire fix 2 of 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	373329  
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg (Adaptive M Susp, Var Sport Steering), Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Sunroof, Alarm
Mods: Tint, DIY lower intake grill guard, ASS recoded
18K miles
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5d
I've posted this in another thread before, but the way this was explained to me by a knowledgeable source is that BMWNA's position is to always replace a run flat. If you get a flat and drive on the rft as you are supposed to, the tire sacrifices itself. If you drive on a rft at a psi lower than 18 or something like that, the tire can be permanently damaged. Since there is no way for the customer to know how little psi is left in the tire, or trust how long the tire was driven on, there is no way to say it is safe 100%.

yes you can get them plugged, but the dealers arent supposed to be doing that.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
one annoying thing is ... most BM cars use staggered rims

so I switched to Normal tires and got some spares at home... I need two spares 235/35/19 and 265/30/19

then my other car runs on 18"... so I ended up have four spares
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 PM
conf t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjbr View Post
I've posted this in another thread before, but the way this was explained to me by a knowledgeable source is that BMWNA's position is to always replace a run flat. If you get a flat and drive on the rft as you are supposed to, the tire sacrifices itself. If you drive on a rft at a psi lower than 18 or something like that, the tire can be permanently damaged. Since there is no way for the customer to know how little psi is left in the tire, or trust how long the tire was driven on, there is no way to say it is safe 100%.

yes you can get them plugged, but the dealers arent supposed to be doing that.
Don't you guys have TPMS from the get-go? We don't in Canada but always though US cars had mandatory TPMS. Not sure if it's accurate though...?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Bitch Bitch Bitch some people just have to bitch,whine, about something. I remember when BMW put Continental Tires on there cars in 2005 most of the people that had them couldn't understand why BMW put such a sh**** tire on a BMW. Now its the RFT's. I agree the very first RFT were pretty bad with the noise and the wear that Dunlop replaced them free before 20,000 miles on them if you had that problem. Today RFT are so improved from the past IMO I can't understand all the whining except for the price.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Bitch Bitch Bitch some people just have to bitch,whine, about something. I remember when BMW put Continental Tires on there cars in 2005 most of the people that had them couldn't understand why BMW put such a sh**** tire on a BMW. Now its the RFT's. I agree the very first RFT were pretty bad with the noise and the wear that Dunlop replaced them free before 20,000 miles on them if you had that problem. Today RFT are so improved from the past IMO I can't understand all the whining except for the price.
cheers
vern
And the selection if you are shopping for a non OEM option.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Now one other issue that I have noticed with this car, is the Nav system. Now I didn't "pick this option", it came with the car. Most of my travel has been local and so I have only used it 10 times, 4-5 times, in each of these times, it couldn't find the address. These addresses have been here for many years. I have had a mid priced Garmin for many years and the difference is amazing. For $200+/- you first get lifetime maps, at BMW the latest map at least outside major cities is old or lack details. The upgrade is $200+.
I used the Nav all the time in my E90 and same goes for my F30. I never ever had this problem.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
And the selection if you are shopping for a non OEM option.
Not really a "option". To the best of my knowledge the RFT and the suspension go hand in hand on the BMW's thats how is was designed. So whats the option?
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I used the Nav all the time in my E90 and same goes for my F30. I never ever had this problem.
When I picked up my 535, the CA decided to show me how to program the nav by keying in my home address so I could get home. It couldn't locate my home. FAIL! (Sad trombone.)

I've since moved and it knows my new address. "Some say" I moved just to live at an address the car knows!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
I'm more interested in knowing where to get the sub-350 donut spare.
me too

dealer charges $800 here
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Not really a "option". To the best of my knowledge the RFT and the suspension go hand in hand on the BMW's thats how is was designed. So whats the option?
cheers
vern
Sorry, by option I meant different tire manufacturers and/or tire styles. For example, I wanted to put Michelin Pilot SS on my car. It is not offered as a RF. when buying RFT your selection is much more limited. What if I don't like the OEM offering?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Ok, here's a crazy idea. If you don't like RFTs, and can't get anybody to fix yours, and you're constantly driving over nails and blowing up your tires, just buy a AAA membership and regular tires. When you have a flat, call AAA and have them tow you. You can have any tires you want, for 40 bucks a year. Problem solved.
2006 BMW Z4 3.0 si (2006-2008)
2008 Infiniti G35x (2008-2010)
2011 BMW 328xi (ED August 31st 2010, Redelivery November 1st, 2010)
2013 BMW 335xi (ED May 6th, 2013, PCD Redelivery August 7th, 2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
I like the run flats. I believe they prevented a serious accident for me. When I had my E90, I hit a pot hole doing 65 (on I95 in downtown Wilmington DE). If I had traditionial tires, I would have had a blow out, and probably would have lost control of my car. The run flats worked as advertised. I had to change the tire the next day, but I wasnt stranded on the side of the road, and I was able to drive home safely.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
Sorry, by option I meant different tire manufacturers and/or tire styles. For example, I wanted to put Michelin Pilot SS on my car. It is not offered as a RF. when buying RFT your selection is much more limited. What if I don't like the OEM offering?
From what I was told that BMW uses brand name tires that are price affective to the cars they are manufacturing and are still fit in with the design of the suspension of the car your buying if they don't have any tires to your liking then its up to you to buy tires to fit your needs. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 04-29-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
UPDATE:

I talked to Continental this AM. If the tires came on the car there is NO road hazard coverage, but if you buy a tire to replace your OEM tire then you have a 13 month road hazard coverage. I will have to think about that awhile to understand.

For those of you that feel that I'm "bitch, bitch, should suck it up and shut up", The title of the thread is "An Open Letter to BMW" It has nothing to do with you, and frankly, if you are happy, I could care less your thoughts about your car or about me. Personally, I doubt that BMW reads this or could careless if we are happy with their product or policies. Having been in business all of my adult life, I've made thousands of decisions some were smart ones and some not so smart, so far IMO this is one of the not so smart ones. The key to all mistakes is to learn from them, don't repeat them, and if possible save your friends from making the same mistake.

As for the actual value/safety of a RFT, I would agree that they make sense with the exception that you may or may not get them repaired with a small puncture and if you can't and need to buy a new tire then IMO the value doesn't override the cost. As for the comfort of the ride and road noise, this isn't something that I have paid a lot of attention to in the past, so other than a perception that this car has more road noise than I would think in a luxury car, I'm happy with the ride.

Just for the record, I was on a freeway when I apparently picked up the nail. I don't do construction sites.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
I get your frustration but a tire isnt bmw's fault neither are brake pads or a clutch. THese are consumer wear and tear items. Things that their failure engineers cant predict.

If your warranty covers tires which i bet it doesnt then they need to honor the warranty and replace your tires for free. If it doesnt it sucks but go buy a new tire. 400.00 isnt that bad on a tire. And you can ditch the run flats and go to all seasons.

As for the nav issue, you dont have to use it.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 M Sport
Pierilli P7 Run Flats $147 ea Tire Rack

I found OEM Pierilli P7 UHP all season RFT's on Tire Rack for $147 ea. 225/45/18 (see below). 2013 328i M Sport. No complaints here; the Conti's suck! I see BMW is using both tire makers for the 328. As long as I can get these tires when needed, at near this price, I'm OK with run flats.

: 225/45R18
BMW, Run Flat
LRR: EcoImpactLow Rolling Resistance Tire Technology
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 91V

UTQG:

500 A A
Price: $195.00 (each)
$147.00 (each) Special
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 10.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	373806   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	373807   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-8.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	373808   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw6.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	373809  

Last edited by 328 M Sport; 04-29-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
UPDATE:

I talked to Continental this AM. If the tires came on the car there is NO road hazard coverage, but if you buy a tire to replace your OEM tire then you have a 13 month road hazard coverage. I will have to think about that awhile to understand.

For those of you that feel that I'm "bitch, bitch, should suck it up and shut up", The title of the thread is "An Open Letter to BMW" It has nothing to do with you, and frankly, if you are happy, I could care less your thoughts about your car or about me. Personally, I doubt that BMW reads this or could careless if we are happy with their product or policies. Having been in business all of my adult life, I've made thousands of decisions some were smart ones and some not so smart, so far IMO this is one of the not so smart ones. The key to all mistakes is to learn from them, don't repeat them, and if possible save your friends from making the same mistake.

As for the actual value/safety of a RFT, I would agree that they make sense with the exception that you may or may not get them repaired with a small puncture and if you can't and need to buy a new tire then IMO the value doesn't override the cost. As for the comfort of the ride and road noise, this isn't something that I have paid a lot of attention to in the past, so other than a perception that this car has more road noise than I would think in a luxury car, I'm happy with the ride.

Just for the record, I was on a freeway when I apparently picked up the nail. I don't do construction sites.

Couple questions for you...

First, why are you going to a dealership to get a tire replaced? Call Tirerack and get it for 240 and have discount tire install it. Infinitely cheaper than the dealership for a non-warranty issue. It is no different than hitting a pothole and blowing tire or even a self inflicted curb rub that pops it. Tires are considered a wear and tear item and unless they explode with no external cause they are not covered. That is why dealerships charge so much for tire replacement warranties. We have all been there at one time or another and it friggin sucks, but I dont really blame BMW for this. The other issues related to RFTs and repair vs replace and no spare etc can be considered a BMW issue and like all issues there are pluses and minuses to every business decision. You just experienced a bunch of the minuses there.

Second, the BMW navigation is much like BMW in general. There is a specific method to the madness. Just like the double door pull to open, or turning the wheel left to zoom and right to go wide for maps, you need to add addresses in a specific method to guarantee success. Once you have figured that out, you will never have a problem again. If you start at the bottom and work up you will find more success. They handle addresses like the post office would. Zip first, then find the city, then the actual street name then the number. You may notice if you dont go in that order when you enter a street name you get 40 different versions of the same street, especially if it goes through multiple towns. You can also send to Car from google maps and remove the hassle of entering in locations while on the road.

Like people said before the dealership and CA should have sat in the car with you and set up BMW assist the before you left the dealership. If they did not then you are indeed going to have a hassle if you call them later as the account needs to be set up.

I personally feel like your issues are easily fixable and dont really lie with the BMW brand, but the great thing about cars are there are a million different models from a ton of different manufacturers so if you decide this is your last BMW, I am sure you will find another you love. At the same time once you have figured out all the little bits and bobs that seem off to you, you may suddenly realize you love the car more than you thought possible. I added non-RFTs to 20 inch wheels and dropped my car with H&R sport springs. Suddenly it is the most planted car I have ever driven and every complaint I had about the car went out the window. Just remember that they are trying to make a car that appeals and works for the majority not just you. And as a result what you may find vital may be secondary for the next guy. But cars are adjustable. And at the end of the day, enjoy the ride!