Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0SI
BMW Z4 3.0SI gas cap light sensor problem

Hello fellow Bimmers,
I am a new member here and I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I have a gas light sensor problem. When ever I refill my gas, the gas cap light should be on to tell me that my cap is not close and it needs to be closed; but the car doesn't tell me that. Also I purposely open the gas cap to see if the light is on, but it wasn't; so, I was wondering if you guys can point out to where I can fix this? Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix4583 View Post
Hello fellow Bimmers,
I am a new member here and I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I have a gas light sensor problem. When ever I refill my gas, the gas cap light should be on to tell me that my cap is not close and it needs to be closed; but the car doesn't tell me that. Also I purposely open the gas cap to see if the light is on, but it wasn't; so, I was wondering if you guys can point out to where I can fix this? Thanks.
I don't mean to rag on you, but in my several years on this forum this is the first time I have ever seen a question regarding a non-report of a non-problem.

Most issues such as this are of people asking why a "problem light" ls lit when there is no problem. You are asking the opposite. I suppose you might have found a non-warning when you desire one, but I would just let it go and enjoy your car.

EB
Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebruder View Post
I don't mean to rag on you, but in my several years on this forum this is the first time I have ever seen a question regarding a non-report of a non-problem.

Most issues such as this are of people asking why a "problem light" ls lit when there is no problem. You are asking the opposite. I suppose you might have found a non-warning when you desire one, but I would just let it go and enjoy your car.

EB
I understand, but the problem is that when ever I put gas into the car; I forgot to close the cab, so I need to find a solution in order to fix this. I do love my car by the way. Every time I drive that car, people always stare at it. It is a black color with black rims.

Last edited by matrix4583; 04-26-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Quote:
I understand, but the problem is that when ever I put gas into the car; I forgot to close the cab, so I need to find a solution in order to fix this. I do love my car by the way. Every time I drive that car, people always stare at it. It is a black color with black rims.
If is that important to you, then if you have not done so already, try to simulate exactly what you do when you fill up. Turn off the car completely. Remove the gas cap completely, and then either leave it off or put it on loosely. Start the car and drive a few hundred feet.

See if you get a warning light then. Some of the lights only come on when a real driving issue is at hand. This might be one of them.

Good luck.

EB
Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebruder View Post
If is that important to you, then if you have not done so already, try to simulate exactly what you do when you fill up. Turn off the car completely. Remove the gas cap completely, and then either leave it off or put it on loosely. Start the car and drive a few hundred feet.

See if you get a warning light then. Some of the lights only come on when a real driving issue is at hand. This might be one of them.

Good luck.

EB

I did try your method today and that was like 2 hours ago; I didn't fill up my gas though, because the gas station there doesn't accept my credit card for some reason, so I went to a new one. While driving to a new gas station; I notice that my gas cap was open and the light didn't turn on. The light usually turn on immediately after I forgot to close it, but not tonight.

Last edited by matrix4583; 04-26-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
The OBDII system does periodic system integrity leak checks. It does the system leak check within a certain fuel tank level range; so while the system may not detect a loose or missing gas cap immediately, it will eventually. Keep in mind that the purpose of the light is not to tell you the gas cap is loose. It is verifying that the entire fuel vapor management system is not leaking hydrocarbons into the air and destroying the planet. All of the vapors generated by a fresh load of gasoline are directed into a charcoal canister where they are held until they can be burned off by the engine. In the olden days, gas tanks were vented directly into the atmosphere. In this case newer is better. I don't miss the odor of fumes myself.

2007 3.0si w/Sport Pkg, Navi, Leather, Strut brace, garage door opener and delete airbag warnings on sun visors
Old 04-27-2013, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
Quote:
The solution is "To Close The Cap". Take an 8"x12" piece of paper and write, in large letters, "Did You Close The Cap?" and tape it to your console.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
The solution is "To Close The Cap". Take an 8"x12" piece of paper and write, in large letters, "Did You Close The Cap?" and tape it to your console.
lol.