Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F02
Questions about PUMA case? No end in sight for my problem.

Questions for the pros and lawyers on the board:

(1) Does PUMA case covers 2nd owner and car under factory warranty?
(2) Is PUMA buyback a US thing only? According to the Service Manager, it is. Is that true?
(2) My car has been at the dealer for 70 days straight now, does it qualify for a buyback?

I am getting nothing but run around from everybody at the dealer. I think I need to get a lawyer. It seems that they are just throwing random parts hoping it will fix the issue. I am more inclined to believe that the mechanic is just incompetent.

The car went in (still under factory warranty, 6 weeks left) for a shifting issues from 2nd to 3rd on February 15, and now it feels it's getting a heart surgery. Long story short, I dropped the car off the day I felt a funny shift from 2nd to 3rd.

"In the absence of any stored fault codes", the technician experienced the engine running rough, so he started with a guibo joint replacement (2 weeks wait from Germany). That didn't fix it. He then changed all the fuel injectors. That didn't fix it either. He then moved on to crankcase ventilation hose replacement. Again that didn't fix it. He then threw in the towel and started a PUMA case. BMW Canada suggested walnut carbon blasting (carbon build-up on the back of the valves, common issue with direct injection engine). Add another week of wait.

When everything was put back together, a power shortage fried the DME that had to be back-ordered from Germany at their cost. Another freaking 3 weeks wait. After what felt like forever, the parts arrived this Wednesday and was installed and programmed. Now they can't clear a CEL. BMW Canada suggested to replace the alternator. This freaking alternator was ordered today and is expected to arrive in 2 weeks...who knows what will come up when they install the alternator!

I have changed 5 loaner cars since! I am just exhausted and got nowhere to go but be at their mercy until this alternator arrives.

What I don't understand is why did the technician decide to do a carbon build-up cleanup while there were no stored fault codes, whereas when I mentioned it before, he brushed me off by saying that "if there are no fault codes, I cannot really tell why your car shakes at idle". It's a $100, 000 piece of ****! It should not shudder at idle with 21,000 miles on the clock I said!

On the bright side, I ain't paying $hit for this, as the car was still under factory warranty. I am dissapointed in BMW's flagship. I am so tempted to sell it when I get it and jump in an S63 on the dark side.

What do you all make of this? I am dissapointed, frustrated, and angry. The freaking PUMA buyback does not apply to Canada or the rest of the world, besides USA, according to the Service Manager.

Sorry for venting.
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
there is no such thing as a PUMA buyback. PUMA is an acronym within BMW, has nothing to do with a buyback... it's just for a BMW technician to open a case with BMW engineers in canada or usa to help troubleshoot the car. USA has lemon laws which will tie BMW's hands and can force them into a buy back situation. Your car sounds old anyway and wouldn't qualify for a buyback in most US states. Best advice is to be cordial and nice to the dealer, have them go to bat for you with BMW canada if they can work something out for you.

btw sorry to hear about all the issues with your car, that sounds awful.

Last edited by Kar Don; 04-26-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:04 AM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
I don't think there's a law in BC that protects you from lemons, I know you have something like 15 days to return the car but that's about it.

I agree with Kar Don; what I would do is call BMW Canada and ask to speak with the regional manager and than fellow up with a e-mail to him/her explaining your situation. Once BMW Canada gets involved they'll speak directly with the dealership and see what the problem is and that revert back to you. Dealers take complaints very serious because dealers always want to be in the good books with corporate so you'll most likely get your matter resolved one way or another. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750I
Ramjamslam, sorry about your situation. To me it looks like the dealer does not know how to diagnose your problem. An alternator for a CEL? Keep us posted. BTW Beautiful car (from your other post).
Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
I don't think there's a law in BC that protects you from lemons, I know you have something like 15 days to return the car but that's about it.

I agree with Kar Don; what I would do is call BMW Canada and ask to speak with the regional manager and than fellow up with a e-mail to him/her explaining your situation. Once BMW Canada gets involved they'll speak directly with the dealership and see what the problem is and that revert back to you. Dealers take complaints very serious because dealers always want to be in the good books with corporate so you'll most likely get your matter resolved one way or another. Good luck.
You are correct about the return policy. I think it only applies if you buy the vehicle new. I got mine CPO from the dealer with a 3 day return/exchange policy. Those 3 days are long gone!

The regional manager and BMW Canada I understand already got involved as they had to OK the walnut carbon blasting. I think my dealer is as frustrated as I am, and they probably want to get my car off their lot as soon as possible

For the record, I think my dealer vouched for me with BMW Canada already. The service manager was great at giving me updates when they did the walnut carbon blasting. The frustrating part has been the waiting period for parts from Germany. I wish they did carry some of those parts.

Give me a call when you get a chance, I would like to chat about my laptop setup if you don't mind.

Cheers
Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwanes View Post
Ramjamslam, sorry about your situation. To me it looks like the dealer does not know how to diagnose your problem. An alternator for a CEL? Keep us posted. BTW Beautiful car (from your other post).
Thanks

Is yours beige interior? I saw one in person with same exterior color as your on beige interior. It was HAWT!

Here's a couple shots in the glorious days...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	373304   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	373305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	373306  
Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
there is no such thing as a PUMA buyback. PUMA is an acronym within BMW, has nothing to do with a buyback... it's just for a BMW technician to open a case with BMW engineers in canada or usa to help troubleshoot the car. USA has lemon laws which will tie BMW's hands and can force them into a buy back situation. Your car sounds old anyway and wouldn't qualify for a buyback in most US states. Best advice is to be cordial and nice to the dealer, have them go to bat for you with BMW canada if they can work something out for you.

btw sorry to hear about all the issues with your car, that sounds awful.
I think the buy back only happens is the US if the dealer failed three consecutive times in fixing the car. No such thing as lemons law for us here. Would be great to have it though.

Last edited by Ramjamslam; 04-27-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjamslam View Post
Thanks

Is yours beige interior? I saw one in person with same exterior color as your on beige interior. It was HAWT!

Here's a couple shots in the glorious days...
Yes, it's called Oyster (light beige).
Old 04-27-2013, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjamslam View Post
You are correct about the return policy. I think it only applies if you buy the vehicle new. I got mine CPO from the dealer with a 3 day return/exchange policy. Those 3 days are long gone!

The regional manager and BMW Canada I understand already got involved as they had to OK the walnut carbon blasting. I think my dealer is as frustrated as I am, and they probably want to get my car off their lot as soon as possible

For the record, I think my dealer vouched for me with BMW Canada already. The service manager was great at giving me updates when they did the walnut carbon blasting. The frustrating part has been the waiting period for parts from Germany. I wish they did carry some of those parts.

Give me a call when you get a chance, I would like to chat about my laptop setup if you don't mind.

Cheers
Sure thing, I'll be back in town on May 10th so we'll definitely touch base when I'm back and get you all set up for coding.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
Sure thing, I'll be back in town on May 10th so we'll definitely touch base when I'm back and get you all set up for coding.
Looking forward to it
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
I am the second owner of my 2009 F01 with 32K miles. I've had the car for about six weeks now. Car is still under warranty so I tried to find every single thing wrong with it before the factory warranty runs out.

I've had various switches, USB ports, front control arms replaced. Then one day I noticed, when the car came to a stop it would lurch forward slightly. I dropped off the car 4/11, of course the car would not lurch during the test drive with the tech. Next day the tech test drove again cold and observed this behavior (thank goodness). The dealer tried different programs and could not fix it. They opened a PUMA case 4/17. Got custom programs from Germany did not fix it. 4/19 they determined that it needed a new transmission. 4/24 transmission came in from Germany. 4/25 my car was ready to go with a new tranny, and it is damn solid.

My experience as been pretty good so far, knock on wood.

Honestly, I don't know much about the f01, but it seems like the transmission in these cars are the weak link from what I'm reading. In your case it seems like they tried everything before throwing in a big ticket item such as a new transmission. Which was probably the right fix in the first place.

When you get it back, make sure that you take a thorough test drive with a tech before taking the car back. I think if you take the car back and drop it off again you won't be covered under warranty (sounds like yours ran out end of March)
Old 04-28-2013, 09:23 AM

4/19 they determined that it needed a new transmission. 4/24 transmission came in from Germany. 4/25 my car was ready to go with a new tranny, and it is damn solid.

I am impressed that they got a transmission from Germany in 5 days! Every parts ordered by my dealer from Germany has been a 2-3 weeks wait. Just unacceptable for me.

Indeed my factory warranty ran out on March 31, 2013. But the SA have agreed to keep my ticket open for 2 weeks after I pick up my car to drive it and see if everything is OK. Then I have 2 years CPO till March 2015 (but it's not as comprehensive as factory). I hope so, but somehow I have a funny feeling that it might need a new transmission. We'll see. Alternator arriving on May 10 apparently. At this point I stop making bets when I'll get my parts.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750i
This might help (for CANADA): www.camvap.ca
Old 05-17-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 F01 SPORT
I have had the exact same shifting issue. I logged all the progress here on the forum. Long story short, took it to the dealer 3 times before I called BMW NA filing a formal complaint. The regional tech came out in a week, took a 10 minute test drive with me in the car, signed off on a new tranny. They kept the car for another few days and now it drives like a new car. Don't let'em push you around. Also, it sounds like they are milking BMW NA on all 4 t1ts with all those unnecessary warranty repairs which they bill BMW NA. You should defnitely let BMW NA know what's going on.

Last edited by coole65i; 05-17-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi, 2009 750LI
4 weeks and counting for mine, now they are checking the engine side vents to see if that'll fix the issue.

Since I have the extended warranty, I am inclined to just drive the car, even when it shakes, and let it die, then let them replace everything. I got another 6 yrs..