Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:47 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 E30 320i
e30 Rotary

Hi guys I was wondering if someone can tell me what will be the most work to do between
putting n Lexus V8 or a 13b Rotary turbo in my e30 320i, It is the 1989 model
Ads by Google
Old 04-27-2013, 03:55 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicTwitt View Post
Hi guys I was wondering if someone can tell me what will be the most work to do between
13B is a lot more common swap

But either way, bimmerfest isnt for you, we are more purists here. Try R3vlimited or E30tech

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 AM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
why a 13b? go 20b or dual 13b synced. really crank out the power and tt them too.

honestly, going the way of carbs would be an easier swap. youll need motor mounts, trans mounts or adapter plate, rework suspension (motor is lighter) then youll have to figure out how to run the gauges, which most likely the speedo and tach will need to be replaced.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
why a 13b? go 20b or dual 13b synced. really crank out the power and tt them too.

honestly, going the way of carbs would be an easier swap. youll need motor mounts, trans mounts or adapter plate, rework suspension (motor is lighter) then youll have to figure out how to run the gauges, which most likely the speedo and tach will need to be replaced.
there are loads of them here, the bogans love them. they all seem to use a 12" rev counter on the dash with a 4" shift light

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Why not swap in a BMW V8 or 24V Six? These are fairly well documented.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 PM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
i'm curious as to why anyone would swap a rotary into anything ?

most Mazda dealerships will do everything they can to try and keep you away from buying a rotary powered car. why would you go out of your way to install that problem child in another car ?

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 E36 M3
Re: e30 Rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsteve View Post
i'm curious as to why anyone would swap a rotary into anything ?

most Mazda dealerships will do everything they can to try and keep you away from buying a rotary powered car. why would you go out of your way to install that problem child in another car ?
Because they are extremely light, fairly easy to work on, amazing power for such a small engine. They make a really cool sound above 7k, they are high reviving and pretty forgiving as far as over revving goes. Also some people just want something different.
That being said I have a distaste for them, my dad had an rx8 and a rx7 for a while and while they are cool and different don't get me wrong, not for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 AM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by tystager93 View Post
Because they are extremely light, fairly easy to work on, amazing power for such a small engine. They make a really cool sound above 7k, they are high reviving and pretty forgiving as far as over revving goes. Also some people just want something different.
That being said I have a distaste for them, my dad had an rx8 and a rx7 for a while and while they are cool and different don't get me wrong, not for me.
Rotarys are arguably the most failure prone and temperamental engines out. the Mazda dealer doesnt even want you to own a rotary .. what other car manufacturer in the world will try and convince you NOT to buy their car ? none. the guy at the dealer gave us a laundry list of issues with them before we could tell him we weren't interested in one anyway. the dealer, this is the place that stands to make the most money from selling the car. can you imagine producing a product, then convincing people not to buy it ?

i've never heard one make any kind of "cool" sound. light weight is great, but not at the sacrifice of reliability and longevity. i'm ok with "different", but not if it makes the car worse than before.

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 AM

Hey I'm with you I think they are stupid, but I wouldn't say they are crap, there is a reason why there is a large group of people who like them. It also depends on which version is in there, the 12b from the FDs is a pretty damn cool engine maybe its the turbos. But all engines have there problems and somebody who is doing a swap should know what they are getting into.

I would love to here from someone who has done it before. Anybody out there?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
i've never heard one make any kind of "cool" sound. light weight is great, but not at the sacrifice of reliability and longevity. i'm ok with "different", but not if it makes the car worse than before.
You have obviously never been in an rx8 from 7-9k rpm that sound is undoubtedly cool.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 AM

amazing power to weight they do put out in theory, but high revving equals high kW. they have relatively less low down torque than most same displacement engines.

but they do sound cool on a track coming down a straight throttle wide open.

but rebuilding a sports motor every 5k or so, or 40-60k in a daily isnt my kind of reliability. its the apex seals that go on them, obviously a race motor has the rotors spinning much faster so more wear. The RX8 engines solved this problem i believe, but not sure how they did it.

I think Mercedes were the first with the rotary engine not Mazda correct? some motorbikes used the rotary as well cant remember which make maybe Norton?

E30 above Sold

Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 AM

Actually Audi was the first to use the wankle rotary back in the 50s but I believe a engineer from Mercedes invented it gets wankle or something like that.
Yes they have less balls then a Prius down low, that is for sure. They are definitely finicky little things especially in the cold my dads rx8 flooded 5 times this winter which is a pain because to get at the spark plugs you have to go under the car and they are up next to the driver side fender and you have to remember which coil is leading and which is trailing. But the inner workings are very simple so there is not much to go wrong. Just really as you said apex seals. And fouled out spark plugs.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Thumbs down Rotary :(

Rotary was invented by Felix Wankel and everybody thinking they are the bees knees is a Wanker
The Wankel or rotary engine is the most misunderstood hunk of metal in the market
For my engineering degree I wrote a paper on why the Rotary engine is less efficient than the Otto engine...
I am most biased against this excuse of a internal combustion piece of rubbish
Maybe as a anchor
And as far as sound goes, rather give me a Ferrari opposed 12 at full tilt, than this piece that sounds like it has a built in miss
Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 AM

Lol I'll agree on the inefficient bit for sure less than 20 mpg out of a 1.3 are you kidding me?

But they are an interesting engine that has made a pretty decent impact in the modern automotive world after all they did win le mans and for that I give them credit.

As for your Ferrari v12 how much dose one of those cost again?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 E30 320i
Do yourself a favour..Go on youtube an search Mad mike rx7...He uses a 4rotor motor to drift...If you can come back and tell me that is doesnt sound amazing you simply have no taste whatsoever..no offence but nothing beats the sound of n Wankel motor.....I think the only thing that comes close to making such n beautiful noise is my all time fav e46 M3......
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Audi inline 5 turbos. They just sound so angry and ready to kill.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Quote:
why would you use either of these engines? the M62b44 is far superior to both and cost abut the same if not less and also comes with a great gearbox thats affordsable.

the lexus v8 needs the supra gearbox whih is extremely expensive, and youll need a cusom made flywheel and bell housing to adapt the box.

The 13b is an easier swap, because you have the trans, but the rx7's box isnt as strong as bmws getrags and the 13b doesnt have the torque and all natural power potential as the m62b44.

yes you can theoretically make 300hp in a 13b al motor, but that engine wont last more than a few hours. a m62 makes 280hp in stok trim. a race built m62 (basically a s62) will easily make 400 hp all motor.

Also tunning a rotary is not easy. those engines are very delicate, they cannot tolerate detonation at all.

Last edited by 3star; 04-29-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tystager93 View Post

actually they arent that light. the rotor housings are made of cast iron. the m62 is all aluminum, and is the lightest v8 engine easily available yes it weighs LESS than the 1uZ even with 400 more ccs.

ALso you cant over rev a rotory thats the beauty of them. They are great engines but they have issues.

d never put on in a street car but in a race car hell yeah. Not in an E30 though there are several way better engine choices.

M62b44 being the obvious candidate.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Rotarys are arguably the most failure prone and temperamental engines out. the Mazda dealer doesnt even want you to own a rotary .. what other car manufacturer in the world will try and convince you NOT to buy their car ? none. the guy at the dealer gave us a laundry list of issues with them before we could tell him we weren't interested in one anyway. the dealer, this is the place that stands to make the most money from selling the car. can you imagine producing a product, then convincing people not to buy it ?

they are great engines for race cars, just not for street motors

Last edited by 3star; 04-29-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: 318i E30 1992 (M40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3star View Post

they are great engines for race cars, just not for street motors
It sounds great, no doubt, but, you know ... what the hell is wrong with you?

They are great engines for people who are a bit mentally unstable who don't want to drive their cars.

They'd rather fix it all day.

Seriously taking the car from the Mobil Million Mile advertisement and putting the most unreliable popular motor out there is quite a bit of a slap at practicality.

I still feel bad about my SR20'ed E30 but it proved to be a much cheaper bump in power.

I still want a straight six, they sound much better. One day I will go S52.