Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
I was actually thinking of H&R springs as well because I don't like the front wheel gap on my Sportline (even on my RWD). I am a total noob with this....could I just get the springs for the front wheels? Or...is that really unorthodox? Also, would those springs affect my warranty? Finally, I can see the springs are listed online for around $260....is that for a set of four? Only two? How many hours of labor for the install?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Just fronts would not be a good idea(they come only as a set of 4).

The gap is nice front to back with the Sports springs.

I have found a retailer willing to do $245 shipped which is good as most places want $235-260+$35 shipping.

Not sure on install, a good shop typically charges about $350 including alignment on past cars.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: f30 335i
It's official now! 335i 8AT 0-60 tested as 4.6 seconds by CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Just fronts would not be a good idea(they come only as a set of 4).

The gap is nice front to back with the Sports springs.

I have found a retailer willing to do $245 shipped which is good as most places want $235-260+$35 shipping.

Not sure on install, a good shop typically charges about $350 including alignment on past cars.
^Thanks....would it affect the warranty? Much firmer ride? (I don't have DHP).

Old 04-27-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:

It will affect the warranty, but by law only on the springs themselves or any damage they can prove was caused by your replacement springs. They can't say they won't fix a defect in your seats because your springs were replaced.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
Yeah. It would be interesting to know if this test was done with DHP or not. From what I've heard about DHP (haven't driven one yet), it seems like that may solve some of their complaints, but if the test WAS done with DHP, then that makes me a little concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
After reading the article and the other thread, I think it did have it.
The article said "Even with the optional suspension, body control falters."...what else could that be aside from DHP?

With steering comments such as "comparatively lazy", "light and vague on center", and "lifeless electrically assisted steering", I don't think BMW will sit on that for too long.

With only 1 point separating 1st and 2nd, that is not a convincing win. I would say CD is probably doing what it can to make BMW do something about non-responsive electric steering.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
23K mi Aug14
Hergestellt in Deutschland

Last edited by LarryboysUDM; 04-27-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added quotes
Old 04-27-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:

People comment on having no or minimal impact to ride quality. They make a more aggressive version, the Sports are a modest drop compared to the Super Sports.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
The new IS is actually ok looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryboysUDM View Post
The article said "Even with the optional suspension, body control falters."...what else could that be aside from DHP?

With steering comments such as "comparatively lazy", "light and vague on center", and "lifeless electrically assisted steering", I don't think BMW will sit on that for too long.

With only 1 point separating 1st and 2nd, that is not a convincing win. I would say CD is probably doing what it can to make BMW do something about non-responsive electric steering.
M-sport suspension.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
M-sport suspension.
That's what I thought. DHP everywhere else has gotten great ride quality and handling reviews.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 04-28-2013, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
The new IS is actually ok looking.
It looks like its trying to eat you.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 04-28-2013, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: 335i M Sport
Before I purchased my 335i, I had seriously considered the ATS 3.6 Premium. Test drove both cars and even brought the ATS home to my wife. Before I pulled the trigger brought the ATS up to my BMW dealer and put both cars side by side. Then took the ATS on the same test drive that I went on with my BMW dealer took me on and drove the ATS just as hard. The ATS transmission almost seized doing the circuit. BMW won looks and performance with me.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer dreamer View Post
Before I purchased my 335i, I had seriously considered the ATS 3.6 Premium. Test drove both cars and even brought the ATS home to my wife. Before I pulled the trigger brought the ATS up to my BMW dealer and put both cars side by side. Then took the ATS on the same test drive that I went on with my BMW dealer took me on and drove the ATS just as hard. The ATS transmission almost seized doing the circuit. BMW won looks and performance with me.
I am pretty sure it is the same auto transmission as the one in the E90 3 series. Very similar to the 6 speed ZF in the E90 335 but not as quick as 8 speed ZF in the F30. It received very good reviews in most comparisons. I am not sure why C & D did not like it as much during this one. I drove a E90 335 and 328 back to back and I though the two transmission were nearly identical in behavior. If anything the GM unit shifted a little quicker.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
I'm never sure how much value there is in car reviews, and I'm not saying this only because the BMW came in 2nd. Well, I don't think I am anyway.

My point is, look how much difference in opinion there is just on this forum. Everyone has a different set of criteria and a different opinion. If I happened to be an auto journalist and wrote a review in a magazine, why would my opinion suddenly be more important than it is here on the forum? Because it's in print?

This is why I almost prefer the Consumer Reports "reviews". They state objective facts like reliability, which I have no other way of knowing. Then I go sit my butt in several cars and make my own mind up on the subjective issues like steering feel, "excitement", or whatever.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
Really nice numbers for the 335.
Yet the 335i got the worst rating for engine flexibility at 3/5! Unexplainable.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Yet the 335i got the worst rating for engine flexibility at 3/5! Unexplainable.
I noticed that as well, however C & D is very pro BMW in their reviews.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
I'm never sure how much value there is in car reviews, and I'm not saying this only because the BMW came in 2nd. Well, I don't think I am anyway.

My point is, look how much difference in opinion there is just on this forum. Everyone has a different set of criteria and a different opinion. If I happened to be an auto journalist and wrote a review in a magazine, why would my opinion suddenly be more important than it is here on the forum? Because it's in print?

This is why I almost prefer the Consumer Reports "reviews". They state objective facts like reliability, which I have no other way of knowing. Then I go sit my butt in several cars and make my own mind up on the subjective issues like steering feel, "excitement", or whatever.
I somewhat disagree, specifically when it comes to C & D. Every time I drive a car (whether it is a Civic or a Tundra) and come across a C & D review of it, most of the time I feel exactly the same as the review. On the other hand I really don't get some of the MT reviews.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
Yeah. It would be interesting to know if this test was done with DHP or not. From what I've heard about DHP (haven't driven one yet), it seems like that may solve some of their complaints, but if the test WAS done with DHP, then that makes me a little concerned.
Yeah, I have DHP which comes with variable steering. I have yet seen any real comparisons between the standard electrical assist steering and the variable steering that comes with DHP.

Every car I test drove had the standard steering, but I honestly didn't drive them enough to get a real good feel.

I really like the steering in my car, but since it has DHP, I doubt my steering experience is the same as those without DHP.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer dreamer View Post
Yes. All I know is that I'm thrilled I got a 335. I'm sorry, but the ATS or Lexus are not for me. No regrets at all.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Brakes?!?!?!

Mein Auto: 335i, Outback, '62 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
Yeah, it's interesting how quickly favor and opinion changes on cars. It's best to keep in mind that it's all relative. I got a little down-hearted reading C&Ds review of the M Sports handling when in a previous article they were quite pleased with the 335 Sports handling (minus the steering). I had to remind myself C&Ds comments were in the context of this 3 car comparo.

I was listening to the WSJ This Morning podcast this morning (the Saturday edition) and Dan Niel was reviewing the 2014 Porsche Cayman S when he made a statement that the Porsche is not a fast car by European standards, but is by American standards. He then proceeded to share a story about driving the Cayman in Germany at 130mph on the Autobahn and having 911 Turbos and Audi S7s blow past him. My thought was, "well yeah, you're doing 130mph, but the Cayman S is good for more like 175mph. Try pushing the pedal a litle further." To use his story as the basis of a statement that a car like the Cayman isn't fast is just asinine... And yet, like a fiend I check all those sites on a daily basis to get my fix.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
It is sad that BMW once known for its steering feel and feed back on 3 series is not among the best thanks to crappy electric steering wheel. I think BMW engineers need to put the life back into the life less steering wheels.

As for 328i vs 335i anyone that thinks both are on par with regards to straight line performance needs to get their brain checked or their might be a cheaper less expensive way. I would suggest you line up your 328i vs my 335i or any other 335i and all you will see is tail lights all day.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Re: It's official now! 335i 8AT 0-60 tested as 4.6 seconds by CD

This is why no one takes car and driver seriously .

How did the Lexus win? They said the same type of stuff when the first is350 came out which other mags have said actually have a more engaging drive. Not to mention the BMW destroyed it in almost every measure of performance

I've driven the old is350 and its got nothing on a BMW. I actually have a friend who was going to buy an is350 and went to a Lexus drive event where they had an e90 330i and it convinced him to buy an 07 335i instead. ...

And all this bashing the f30 steering? I don't get it. Magazines make it sound like its terrible but its definitely not.

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-29-2013, 01:17 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
This is why no one takes car and driver seriously .

How did the Lexus win? They said the same type of stuff when the first is350 came out which other mags have said actually have a more engaging drive. Not to mention the BMW destroyed it in almost every measure of performance

I've driven the old is350 and its got nothing on a BMW. I actually have a friend who was going to buy an is350 and went to a Lexus drive event where they had an e90 330i and it convinced him to buy an 07 335i instead. ...

And all this bashing the f30 steering? I don't get it. Magazines make it sound like its terrible but its definitely not.

When the design is the deciding factor between the Toyota and the BMW, it shows that C&D is a joke. BMW supposedly lost by 2 points (one interior, one exterior) that cost it the top spot. Thats laughable, because thats purely subjective, and shouldn't be included, also rebates were judged?????

I like the look of the BMW, Cadillac then the Lexus in that order. Some might be inverse or all mixed up. Thats like saying the Cadillac is the best because its not white like the BMW and the Lexus, well thats up to the buyer. Overall the BMW is the better of the 3, if you take into account their skewed aesthetic appreciation - or lack there of, then give it to the Toyota.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 04-29-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:21 AM

Mein Auto: 335 luxury line
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Yes. All I know is that I'm thrilled I got a 335. I'm sorry, but the ATS or Lexus are not for me. No regrets at all.
Same. This review doesn't change anything for me. Although 4.6 seconds to 60 is amazing!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Re: It's official now! 335i 8AT 0-60 tested as 4.6 seconds by CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF02 View Post
When the design is the deciding factor between the Toyota and the BMW, it shows that C&D is a joke. BMW supposedly lost by 2 points (one interior, one exterior) that cost it the top spot. Thats laughable, because thats purely subjective, and shouldn't be included, also rebates were judged?????

I like the look of the BMW, Cadillac then the Lexus in that order. Some might be inverse or all mixed up. Thats like saying the Cadillac is the best because its not white like the BMW and the Lexus, well thats up to the buyer. Overall the BMW is the better of the 3, if you take into account their skewed aesthetic appreciation - or lack there of, then give it to the Toyota.
Car and driver has randomly added points for things like 'gotta have it' factor on other comparos. They always just skew it to make whatever they want the top choice. They are easily the worst mag

Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Why does this thread highlight 0-60 times as if they are gospel?

Look at the quarter mile times, the 0-100 and 0-130mph times, quarter mile trap speeds, etc.

But for the love of God 0-60 is just about the worst measurement since it can be manipulated so easily (one foot roll-out, for example).

I'm impressed by the 0-100 and 0-130 numbers for the n55 engine in that comparison. It speaks to how HARD this engine pulls up top.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
There is no question mags manipulate rating numbers to rank cars they wish to be ranked. But then it is not unlike how people shop for their cars. A lot of it are opinion based, not on hard facts.

Every car gets its turn, I am just surprised no one here accused the mags being bought out. It isn't impossible, advertising dollars do get in the way.

But more likely than not, one good way to sell the mag is to generate publicity. Controversies, and breaking a trend, generate publicity. The bottom line is, the cars today are so close in their objective stats, it is easy to forget, all it really matters is one's subjective view.

Mags aren't different, they are written by humans.