Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 525i
I'll give almost anything a try if it can be done with a floor jack and some basic tools. The coding scared me the most but if you pay attention that's not too bad. Installed the satellite radio and Dension along with coding. Cooling system rebuild. This past weekend power bled the brakes and removed the clutch delay valve (why did I wait so long?).

The clutch delay valve had me nervous for awhile, took almost a full quart of fluid, with the power bleeder, to get all the air out of the line. I was beginning to think I was in trouble then that last burst of air came out and all is well.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 525xi
I just joined the forum a week ago, but have been lurking for a while.

Way back in high school and college I did most of my own repairs out of necessity (and it was fun). As life got busy and cars more complicated, I would always try to find a decent independent shop for repairs. Lately I've been doing almost all of my repairs on my 2007 525xi and my wife's 2009 Mercedes E350 for three reasons:

1) I have a 12 and a 14 year old that need to learn these things like I did! It's fun watching them learn. Even if they decide later they don't want to do their own repairs, OK, but they will know when they are getting ripped off!

2) I had fooled myself into thinking that cars were getting harder to work on, but with great resources like this forum and assuming you have the right tools and some basic skills, in some ways repairs are often easier... not always, but worth checking out the DIY's and deciding for yourself.

3) I always like saving money! As my cars have gotten more pricey from my college days, I find that cost gap between repairing yourself and repairing at a stealer has significantly widened. Come on... an oil change is still just an oil change... and brakes still fundamentally work the same as they did back in the 70's no matter what kind of car you drive.

In the past few years I have done the following on my E60:
  • Spark plugs
  • New Coil
  • Cleaned stuck exhaust VANOS
  • Brake fluid flush
  • Clutch fluid flush
  • Oil and filter changes
  • Air Filter
  • Cabin Filters
  • Soon - Front brake pad, rotor, and sensor
  • Soon - Replace coolant hoses and thermostat (have parts)

Here's an example of how I probably saved well over $1000 on one repair. This $ will go to my next 3 year old BMW a few years from now! Earlier this year, at about 100K miles I had an intermittent stumble at low speeds. Also had the engine intermittently go into limp mode at highway speeds. I had assumed that this was caused by 1 of several possible things. It turned out to have multiple causes, but easy to diagnose with the right info (this board!) and diagnostic tools.

1) Changed spark plugs that were due for replacement anyway... no improvement. I bought a Kiwi OBD dongle and BMWhat app for my iPhone to read BMW specific codes. Worked like a charm (more expensive than some options, but fun and much, much cheaper than the eventual repairs would have cost at a stealer). Found misfire on #6 and potential VANOS related code. Swapped #6 and #1 coil and the misfire moved to #1. Put in new coil in #1 and misfire code went away. Car ran fine, but a few days later on highway went into limp mode (no more misfire code, but this VANOS related code reoccurred: #2A99 - Crankshaft - exhaust camshaft, correlation). Removed and cleaned intake and exhaust VANOS. Switched VANOS positions on re-install to verify whether a VANOS solenoid issue or a more serious channel wear issue. Car runs like new!

I would guess that these repairs alone would have cost me well over $1000 (stealer likely would have replaced vs cleaned the both VANOS). I did all repairs for - 1 ignition coil - $65, 6 spark plugs - $45, Kiwi + iPhone App $160... and now have a diagnostic tool I can use in the future. Much of the help I needed for they DIYs came from this forum (thanks for sharing everyone). Safe driving.

Last edited by hilltopsw; 05-25-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 05-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
hilltopsw:
How do you like the BMWhat iPhone app?
The app was just updated and I ran the free (LITE) version, which showed 2 errors. They were:
Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC:
- Fault: :Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems invalid
- Code: BMW 6E83

and

Light / Licht:
- Fault: sorry, unknown DTC fault
- Code: BMW 9CC5

Then I ran ISTA-D which only shows the second fault wich I have had show up before.

I am not sure what to make of this.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 05-25-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 08 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
i diy everything i possibly can. Either in my garage or at a friend's house (he has a lift). At the end of the day these are just cars and can be fixed at home if you have the tools, knowledge (and there's tons on the internet) and the nerve. Go for it, dive right in.
+1
Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 535i X drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1 View Post
You guys are maniacs!!!

I am NOT a DIY guy, but have a great relationship with the local service manager (post nice reviews on their web site) and he always matches or beats local Indie prices. Oil change - $79...

Helps there are 4 dealers within 30 mins...
Who is your local Dealer? I just started serving at open road bmw in edison. I can use a good service manger.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 525xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend700 View Post
hilltopsw:
How do you like the BMWhat iPhone app?
The app was just updated and I ran the free (LITE) version, which showed 2 errors. They were:
Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC:
- Fault: :Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems invalid
- Code: BMW 6E83

and

Light / Licht:
- Fault: sorry, unknown DTC fault
- Code: BMW 9CC5

Then I ran ISTA-D which only shows the second fault wich I have had show up before.

I am not sure what to make of this.
legend700,

I like the BMWhat app in that it does what it says it says it does... it shows me all the BMW specific codes and descriptions that are being thrown. Interpreting them is another story! For some codes there are enough posts here or Google results to figure out what the problem is, but like you I have a few codes I have not been able to chase down what there true meaning is. The car is running fine, but knowing the errors are there is not optimal.

You were able to get codes from the lite version. When I tried the lite version, it only could verify connectivity and that it would work with my model car. I don't remember getting actual codes from lite version. Anyway, I searched a bit on the codes you posted and like you I found nothing nor have I seen these on mine. Are you experiencing any noticeable issue or just seeing the codes? It might be worth a call to your stealer's service department and tell them you are reading these codes but don't want to bring the car in for any unnecessary service until your sure this is a real issue and see what they say. Who knows, maybe there is a related recall or perhaps they might give you a clue what to look out for.

Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39
Who here does DIY on their e60/61?

So my e39 got totaled after it got rear ended last week. Opted to jump into the e60 club. Picking her up tomorrow. 2004 530i with the familiar to me M54 engine. Pretty clean car with 78k mi for $13.7k OTD. Me thinks its a good deal. Already compiling list of maintenance items. First off I will take it to my Certified BMW tech to look over the car while he does an oil change and brake fluid flush for me. I could do those myself but he offers to take a good look at the car for me while he does he has it. Just for a proffesional eye to see what's up under there. From there on it will be DIY what I can. Drives great and no leaks or issues from what I could tell. Seller/dealer said it belonged to an ASE certified friend of his and that he maintained the car well. He sold me the e39 and that was a good car. The engine on this e60 is smooth and sounds good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1370320053.616065.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	380110

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1370320073.999032.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	380111

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1370320087.582900.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	380112

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by BM109R; 06-03-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
^^^Nice, I got my previous 2005 530 also because I was familiar with the M54 and knew it had been used in BMWs for quite a while (I figured they had worked the bugs out).

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 PM

Re: Who here does DIY on their e60/61?

Quote:
^^^Nice, I got my previous 2005 530 also because I was familiar with the M54 and knew it had been used in BMWs for quite a while (I figured they had worked the bugs out).
Thanks. I'm excited about it and can't wait to get the Bentley manual. I already have TIS. Any tips on what I should do or look out for? First order of biz is all fluids changed.

One question I have if someone can clear up for me is can I use a different oil in the tranny for the fluid change? Like Redline, Castrol Multi Import etc as long as it meets the required specs? Is it safe? I think TIS says use original bmw fluid and don't mix the type of fluid. I do read here on this forum where people have changed it with other fluids aa well.

Last edited by BM109R; 06-03-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM109R View Post
Thanks. I'm excited about it and can't wait to get the Bentley manual.
Where does one get said Bentley Manual and does it cover all things E60?
Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelLonewolf View Post
Where does one get said Bentley Manual and does it cover all things E60?
Check this out on AMZN: BMW 5 Series (E60, E61) Service Manual - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010: 525i, 528i, 530i, 535i,...
http://amzn.com/0837616212

Old 06-04-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I'm excited about it and can't wait to get the Bentley manual. I already have TIS. Any tips on what I should do or look out for? First order of biz is all fluids changed.

One question I have if someone can clear up for me is can I use a different oil in the tranny for the fluid change? Like Redline, Castrol Multi Import etc as long as it meets the required specs? Is it safe? I think TIS says use original bmw fluid and don't mix the type of fluid. I do read here on this forum where people have changed it with other fluids aa well.

Found my answer on tranny fluid here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=574529

Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
Quote:
Check this out on AMZN:
Thank you.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

I think one of the better things about the E60 is the plethora of repair and maintenance info available for free online. Previously as soon as I bought a car I would get the manual for it, but in this connected age? No need, everything I need to know is freely available.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Its how I roll

Mein Auto: 1985 M635csi, 2008 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeykraut View Post
I'm the same way. I come from Jaguars, and have done all my own work, plus work for other people, up to and include swapping engines and/or trannies. Although there is an intimidation factor, and a fear of making things worse through ignorance, when the time comes for my new-to-me wagon to need something, it'll be me doing it.

Admittedly, the correct tools, good parts sources, and the correct information are critical, as pjinca says.
I have had a few Jaguars over the years and spent quite a lot of time (and money) working on them. My favorite bumper sticker, which I've seen on a couple of XKE's reads - "Yeah - but when it runs - - -"
Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: '97 528i
I have a 2008 535xi auto on which I have done the following:

- replace brake pads
- flush brake fluid
- change transmission oil & filter & pan
- change differential oil (front & back)
- replace electric water pump & thermostat (what a PIA diy! )
- clean intake manifold carbon build up using walnut blaster
- install BMS oil catch can

btw anyone in Toronto interested in me doing the walnut blasting for a fee? I have all the tools including the BMW wand.

Ben
Old 06-04-2013, 08:59 PM

Picked her up today. Just did an oil change this evening with Mobil1 0W40 and Mann filter. Got a set of 6 NGK3199 spark plugs from advanceauto.com using code ES123 to get me at $36 for the plugs. Picked them up at local store. Will install those this weekend

A few parts on the way from Autohausaz.com and FCPeuro.com for DIY later this week:
-air filter
-cabin filter
-differential oil(redline) and 2plugs
-timing chain spring tensioner
-all weather floor mats
Also will order ate blue brake fluid and tranny oil change kit. Basically a tune up plus all fluid change to get started. I also plan to take it in to my mechanic for inspection of the suspension system. At highway speeds I noticed a bit of a front wheel shake when I remove my foot from the pedal. Not sure what it could be. Maybe a front suspension overhaul is due but we'll see. Belts a bit cracked but not too bad. Cooling system overhaul coming up too if the e60 suffers from the same failures of the e39

Last edited by BM109R; 06-06-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

The front wheel shake is almost certainly either upper/lower control arms, or an unbalanced wheel/tire. Good luck, keep us posted.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 06-05-2013, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopsw View Post
legend700,

I like the BMWhat app in that it does what it says it says it does... it shows me all the BMW specific codes and descriptions that are being thrown. Interpreting them is another story! For some codes there are enough posts here or Google results to figure out what the problem is, but like you I have a few codes I have not been able to chase down what there true meaning is. The car is running fine, but knowing the errors are there is not optimal.

You were able to get codes from the lite version. When I tried the lite version, it only could verify connectivity and that it would work with my model car. I don't remember getting actual codes from lite version. Anyway, I searched a bit on the codes you posted and like you I found nothing nor have I seen these on mine. Are you experiencing any noticeable issue or just seeing the codes? It might be worth a call to your stealer's service department and tell them you are reading these codes but don't want to bring the car in for any unnecessary service until your sure this is a real issue and see what they say. Who knows, maybe there is a related recall or perhaps they might give you a clue what to look out for.

Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck.
The Lite version lets you send a log report to the support team. When they respond to it they include a readable copy of the status of all ECUs. Not sure they will do this more than once. Lite does not let you reset faults, though. I was told that BMWhat will include some coding capabilities in the future. Right now you can just run a test of which ECUs in your car can be coded.

Just returned from a 3,000 mile trouble free road trip and ran ISTA-D diagnostics which still shows the LIGHT fault (38 events, but not currently present). I am not too bothered and will reset next time I run diagnostics.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather
Old 06-09-2013, 04:25 PM

This morning all new NGK3199 spark plugs & power steering fluid flush. Thanks to this forum and shout out to pjinca for a few pointers in the right direction for the DIY.

Next is tranny pan and fluid change by my indy, brake fluid flush and new air and microfilters by me:beer:

Old 06-09-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
The front wheel shake is almost certainly either upper/lower control arms, or an unbalanced wheel/tire. Good luck, keep us posted.
My suspension checked fine during the state inspection. I asked him to check it for me for any play in the control arms and overall condition. He said its all good and everything is tight as it should be. He thinks I have a slight off balance issue on the tires.

Last edited by BM109R; 06-09-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: E90 E60
How much can I save if I get the BMWhat app? How good is the fault diagnosis? I need a tool that helps me to find where there a problems when I go an look for a new used car for my wife
Old 07-21-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
I did my own work on both my e30's and my e34 (when I had them) but anything e90/e60 and higher I leave that to someone else. yes I could do my own brakes and oil changes but why? I have a very very good service dept 20 minutes from my house, with good rates. plus they give me loaners and car washes lol.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535 xit
anything that would cost money i will do.. i still have some warranty left.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:23 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
asdfasdf

delete

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-21-2013 at 05:25 PM.