Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535i XDrive
Misfiring Issue

Hey Guys
My car has been misfiring on essentially every cold start in the morning, after the RPM drops from about 1 to around 600. Last sunday it was misfiring so bad after I didn't drive it for a full day the day before that when I put it in reverse I was literally jerking back and forth, and when i was driving I could feel a trembling under my foot along with the car shaking. When it gets to this extent, the Check Engine light comes on and after driving for about 5min, the misfiring stops, and the check engine light clears itself right then and there. Now this morning after letting the car sit for about 11 hours, the same exact events of last sunday occurred where it would misfire terribly and cause a check engine light, I drove it around in hopes to rush it to my indy but the light cleared itself.

Everyday except for last Sunday and this morning, it misfires upon start up, but it's not bad enough to rock the whole car and cause the check engine light to come up. It's more of a subtle misfire around 600.

Last month, I had a sold Check Engine light that turned out to be "Cylinder 4 Misfire" I took it to the dealer, and they changed the HPFP and Low Pressure Fuel Sensor, that helped with my long cranks, but apparently not for the misfire.

The car has 45K, and I think the problem might be the fuel injectors? Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2013, 11:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to hkninja
Mein Auto: 2008 535i sport pkg
Most likely injectors. Try to swap coils and spark plugs around first to see if the misfire go to another cylinder.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Check the thread under "Check engine pop up" above. This appears to be the same issue.