Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
temperatures

I was curious as to the temperatures of the kit when it is all connected. I measured at 75 deg F room temp.

Heatsink on the light bulb - 164 deg F
Resistor - 138 deg
Driver - 90 deg

The heatsink on the bulb gets really hot. So I have made sure not to have any wires touching the heatsink. Perhaps it would be better to have a bigger heatsink or a fan on it. Feedback for V3 maybe.

I've been getting error codes off and on. But the angel eyes always work. I'm not even going to bother with the resistor.

Temps will probably be higher in an enclosed headlight.

I did not observe any melting after 30 minutes of driving at least.

With the resistors it is pulling 1.17A.
Without the resistors is is pulling 0.869A.

Love the look of the bulbs in any case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130603_006 (Large).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	380096   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130603_012 (Large).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	380097   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130603_016 (Large).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	380098   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130603_018 (Large).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	380099  
Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Re: TXSTYLE Reviews: Mtec v2 LED Angel Eyes

That's some TESTING there lol!

Nice going man. Mine are still going strong for nearly two months. Just as bright and I've monitored the install and no issues enclosed. Although I may look to wrap the wires in black snake tubing just as a precaution.

~Big Marcus
Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
I was curious as to the temperatures of the kit when it is all connected. I measured at 75 deg F room temp.

Heatsink on the light bulb - 164 deg F
Resistor - 138 deg
Driver - 90 deg

The heatsink on the bulb gets really hot. So I have made sure not to have any wires touching the heatsink. Perhaps it would be better to have a bigger heatsink or a fan on it. Feedback for V3 maybe.

I've been getting error codes off and on. But the angel eyes always work. I'm not even going to bother with the resistor.

Temps will probably be higher in an enclosed headlight.

I did not observe any melting after 30 minutes of driving at least.

With the resistors it is pulling 1.17A.
Without the resistors is is pulling 0.869A.

Love the look of the bulbs in any case.
Great tests. One thing that really does concern me is the heat generated in the enclosed area. Your tests are out in the open. I would be interested to see heat numbers inside the enclosed lighting fixtures with covers on. I can only presume generated heat may be over 2X-3X that since there is absolutely no ventilation in there.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.

Last edited by rajeek; 06-06-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Re: TXSTYLE Reviews: Mtec v2 LED Angel Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Great tests. One thing that really does concern me is the heat generated in the enclosed area. Your tests are out in the open. I would be interested to see heat numbers inside the enclosed lighting fixtures with covers on. I can only presume generated heat may be over 2X-3X that since there is absolutely no ventilation in there.
Don't assume....

In fact it could actually be cooler inside the enclosure AWAY from the engine heat.

~Big Marcus
Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Don't assume....

In fact it could actually be cooler inside the enclosure AWAY from the engine heat.

~Big Marcus
Marcus,

Huh? His tests above are no where near the engine. The tests are on an open bench. Putting these in the enclosed light housings will increase heat due to lack of dissipation. Adding a hot engine compartment to that again will only elevate that heat level. Not sure how your surmise it would be cooler. Probably going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Don't assume....

~Big Marcus
Wouldn't it be the other way around? The engine would get some air through the grille, and the heat would be moving towards the passenger compartment, away from the light housing. Where the enclosed light housing would be like sitting in a car with the windows rolled up?

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.

Last edited by ChrisF01; 06-06-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF01 View Post
Wouldn't it be the other way around? The engine would get some air through the grille, and the heat would be moving towards the passenger compartment, away from the light housing. Where the enclosed light housing would be like sitting in a car with the windows rolled up?
No since the air circulates. so temp will be constant but still high
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Hot engine air will circulate under the hood, but the light enclosures are essentially sealed when you put that cap on. I am concerned it is an oven in there. Even hot engine air is still quite a bit higher than typical ambient temperatures, thus there is another source of heat to raise temps even further in the enclosure.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750lxi
Hello to ALL,

I just installed my Mtec angel eye LED's into my 2011 750lxi... I did not use the resistors at first, however, after driving it for a little bit I noticed that the passenger side angel eyes were OUT and the driver side were ON. Also, when I unlock the car before the install my original yellow angel eyes would come ON and remain ON. Then, when the new Mtec LED's were installed they would not come ON when I unlocked the car. In fact, when I turn off my car the angel eyes go OUT with the Mtec LED's.

Does anyone have any input on the subject is this the way it is or did I install the Mtec LED's backwards and upside down? (Just kidding)

By the way they LOOK AMAZING IN THE DAYLIGHT cant wait to see them tonight!!!

P.S. TXSTYLE - Amazing write up... pushed me over the edge to purchase!

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bob View Post
Hello to ALL,

I just installed my Mtec angel eye LED's into my 2011 750lxi... I did not use the resistors at first, however, after driving it for a little bit I noticed that the passenger side angel eyes were OUT and the driver side were ON. Also, when I unlock the car before the install my original yellow angel eyes would come ON and remain ON. Then, when the new Mtec LED's were installed they would not come ON when I unlocked the car. In fact, when I turn off my car the angel eyes go OUT with the Mtec LED's.

Does anyone have any input on the subject is this the way it is or did I install the Mtec LED's backwards and upside down? (Just kidding)

By the way they LOOK AMAZING IN THE DAYLIGHT cant wait to see them tonight!!!

P.S. TXSTYLE - Amazing write up... pushed me over the edge to purchase!

Thanks!
Glad to hear that! And you're welcome. Always nice to receive positive feedback from a install writeup or suggestion I post.

My thoughts: Must be the year or software version of your car (soooo much technical stuff in these cars!) which is giving you these different results? *check your settings for Daytime Running Lamps* Mine are set to on.

Here is what happens with mine to this date from the beginning (without resistors just drivers):

I do NOT have/leave my heads set to AUTO. If and when I hit unlock on my fob (or open a door if unlocked) the Eyes do NOT light up! Only after I start the car do they fire up. I figured this is what should happen anyway.
To this very day, neither have gone out while driving because when I pull up somewhere many times in front of glass, they are on! Still get an occasional "parking lamp malfunction error" usually upon cranking but it is very random some days no error at all after several starts!
So I continue to be VERY pleased! The look is quite noticeable. And when I see other F0s with creamy yellow eyes I just
Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM
The Entertainment Guru

*edit* Not sure where you purchased... But, I'd still shoot Mtec a email as they are good about responding and helping in my experience. Remember... this is not my first set. I had them on my e65 but they were not as bright as these.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750lxi
Mtec suggestion

This was the reply that I received from Mtec, also, I agree that they have been very responsive! Which is greatly appreciated!!

I have not tried the solution provided below yet...but, I will this morning and will then provide a follow up to the forum with results...

"Hi,

Did you install the resistors? If so, please unplug the resistors and follow the following steps. Turn on the engine and headlight. Then turn everything off, and LOCK the door with remote. Then you can unlock the door and turn the engine/headlight.

If you do these steps, and you still have problem, please let me know.

Thank you

Thank you for the business!"
Old 06-22-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 10 750i
Sounds like these Mtecs don't need the resistors on our cars, just the driver
Old 06-23-2013, 02:20 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
This was the reply that I received from Mtec, also, I agree that they have been very responsive! Which is greatly appreciated!!

I have not tried the solution provided below yet...but, I will this morning and will then provide a follow up to the forum with results...

"Hi,

Did you install the resistors? If so, please unplug the resistors and follow the following steps. Turn on the engine and headlight. Then turn everything off, and LOCK the door with remote. Then you can unlock the door and turn the engine/headlight.

Thank you

Glad to hear. Hope that works for you.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750Li XDrive
Quote:

"Hi,

Thank you

they told me to lock and un lock the three times flash the high beams once and then do a head spin on the hood and then they should be fine
Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
V3 just recently came out.

BMW CREE LED ANGEL EYES ALL BMW MODELS MTEC V3 V4 DTEC V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 NO ERROR
BMW ACCESSORIES and PARTS
BMW LED INTERIOR KITS
please PM/Email us for member discount/combo pricing
info@e92-lighting.com "e90post5" for 5% off as the promo code
Old 10-31-2013, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 10 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
V3 just recently came out.
What are the specs?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
What's the difference with V3? Any pictures?

Old 06-24-2014, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Well I brought my car into the dealer so that they can look at a side camera malfunction.

When my service adviser unlocked the car, of course the MTECs don't stay on (which I guess the standard bulbs do). He did it again and only one bulb came on. Now I never thought anything of it. But he is adamant that there is something wrong.

Here is the thing. I could see in his mind that he was trying to tie the bulbs to the camera malfunction. Of course, this is definitely not the case because I had the camera malfunction long before I installed the MTEC bulbs.

Lesson here is that the dealer is always looking for something aftermarket that could get them out of warranty work. Even if has nothing to do with the same system.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Bingo!
Da fuk outta here with that and fix the real problem!

Bimmer App on HTC-One