Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525i
E60 Sunroof Seal Replacement DIY

I noticed some water stains on my headliner and also, there is some very significant audible difference between when the sunroof shade is closed or open. I figured that it's time to replace the sunroof seal.

What you need:

New seal: Part No. 54107245551
Goo Gone for cleaning off the adhesive. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=539309_0_0_
A couple of rags for wiping and cleaning
Scissors or cutters to trim the seal
Black silicone adhesive sealant. You can get this from Autozone. It comes in a tube. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=526731_0_0_

Initial Warning. Work by standing in the back seat area. If you work in the front seats, you may be tempted to put your foot down on the passenger seat and possibly mess up your OC3 or passenger occupancy matt. If you do you can get the dreaded Passenger restraint malfunction errors on the iDrive.

First off, using a masking tape, I marked the center of the sunroof towards the rear window. This gave a center and beginning point of installing the new seal.

Then I began to start peeling off the old sunroof seal. Taking off the old adhesive is lengthy. It's best to just sort of roll it off...

Some of the old adhesive rolls I took off:

Once you got all the adhesive off, use some Goo Gone to clean out all the extra adhesive. Then use a wet cloth to wipe up all the Goo Gone until the surface is nice clean.

Once all the adhesive is cleaned up, I noticed that there is a small dimple to mark the center. It seems I didn't need to use the masking tape to mark the center after all.:

Now it's time to install the new seal. Notice the big difference in size\width between the old and new seal. I think the new seal is redesigned to be thicker.:

As you can see, there is a lip that extends out. That goes on the top side of the sunroof.

From there, peeling and mounting the new seal is self explanatory. Start mounting and feeding the new seal and work your way around the sunroof. No need to worry about stretching the seal to make sure you have enough, because you have plenty. When you finally reach the end, cut about 1.5mm extra and make the ends meet.

A little extra I did was to fill in the gap with some black silicone adhesive.

Once you're all done, it's time to initialize the sunroof. Otherwise, the sunroof anti-trap may not let you close the sunroof.

I took the car for a test drive and what a difference it made in road noise as far as the sunroof is concerned. I can't tell an audible difference whether or not the sunroof shade is closed or not. I still have to do a freeway test though.
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2016, 11:09 PM
Desi

Mein Auto: 07 550i SMG, 09 MB ML550
I'm so glad I found this 3-year old thread last week. I had no idea that the road noise from open sunroof shade is not normal. Followed the well written instructions here and replaced the sunroof seal. After 2 hours of labor and 2 blisters on both my thumbs, I am extremely happy with the result. No more discernible increase in road noise when I open the sunroof shade. Even on the freeway.

10/10, would recommend all E60 owners to do this.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:03 AM

Glad it helped you out. I still have my E60 and the sunroof is still leak free. Also, yeah, I remember my thumbs' nail bed was sore afterwards.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: E61, F11
I searched online on this topic, and found some mention of the need to recode the system for the new seal. "PUMA measure AG20315810-01"
Do you think this is really needed?

Last edited by eoxaal; 08-30-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:08 AM
:D

Mein Auto: Dirty 530i
has anyone ever experience when its raining, and the roof is tilted open, u hear a weird noise, hard to explain so ill try my best... it sounds like a soft knock I forget what culture it is but it sounds like an African language but its not English...
Sports package | Prem package | Prem sound package | Cold weather package | Light package | 18x8 Matte Black / 15mm spacers: 20mm offset | Carbon Fiber: Grill, Side mirrors, M5 trunk spoiler, LED gear shift knob | Mtech v3 AE | M-Tech front bumper | Interior LEDs | Muffler delete | Dual exhaust gun metal tips

---
RIP Selina - 2001 BMW 525i (Prod: 10/2000)

"Call it what you want, it's a BMW"
Old 08-30-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxaal View Post
I searched online on this topic, and found some mention of the need to recode the system for the new seal. "PUMA measure AG20315810-01"
Do you think this is really needed?
No need to code. Just follow the sunroof initialization procedure as shown in the video.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburnz View Post
has anyone ever experience when its raining, and the roof is tilted open, u hear a weird noise, hard to explain so ill try my best... it sounds like a soft knock I forget what culture it is but it sounds like an African language but its not English...
It's probably the metal deflector. When the sunroof is open or tilted, you can feel for the plate. It's spring loaded so you can push it down and it goes back up. However, when it's up, it tends to hit the top of the roof when you drive over slight bumps or uneven roads. What I did was I used a piece of wood to keep it from going down but push down on its edge so that it bends a little lower until it stops hitting the top of the roof.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
about the need to code you sunroof. its not coding but programming (also called updating). It updates the antitrap tolerances to accept the new seal. Most people skip that step and are fine, i wouldn't worry about it.
2007 Silver Grey BMW 550i - Black Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Sport Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Navigation - PDC - Debadge - Eibach Pro-Kit on M-Sport Shocks - Matte Black Grill - Matte Black Exhaust - 5000K LED Angel Eyes - 5000K Interior LEDs - BMW License Plate LEDs - Euro Taillights - Silver Amber Turn Signal Bulbs
2004 Black Opal Mercedes-Benz CLK320 - Sold
2004 Pewter Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Coupe - Sold

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search