Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Stripped Down 328i

My budget for a 328i is low as I currently live off my savings while working on my own ideas. So I have been looking at the "striped down" version of 328i. i.e. no metallic paint, no leather, no package etc, just no-trim "Classic Line". The only options are automatic and alarm. The invoice (incl. destination fee) from Edmunds is 35K. How much I have to pay on top of that price in my area? $500 or $1k? Will the stripped down version be delivered sooner or later?

Considering my priority order for options is safety, maintenance cost, convenience, comfort and performance, what are the options I should add if I have extra $3K (excl. tax) to spend?

Try to get some thoughts here before starting to talk to the dealers Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
One should consider the priorities in life and in cars and make choices suited to their own life. To some, a particular option is important. BMW NA also makes decisions for you.

U.S. 328i cars have a tinted strip at the top of the windshield as well as seat back nets. These are options in some countries.

Would you be happy with a black or white car? Do you think it is likely that someone who is deterred by an alarm would smash your window or break into the trunk? What kind of suspension do you want? Is it very cold in your area? Do you want to spend a few thousand less and get a 320i?

Perhaps you are asking whether there are areas where there is widespread agreement among bimmerfest users where the 328i is deficient but where there's an option? My guess is that quite a few people like sports seats and DHP. On the other hand, there is not universal agreement for the need for winter tires even though this is an area that I have a strong preference for. I'd recommend metallic paint since I an not a fan of black or white. I'd also get wheel locks.

Enjoy your car!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post
My budget for a 328i is low as I currently live off my savings while working on my own ideas.

Considering my priority order for options is safety.... add if I have extra $3K (excl. tax) to spend?

!
You will need to order such car. Dealers will not stock it.

Perhaps you should consider a new Saab 9-3? They are being sold at fire sale prices. $19,000 will buy a new one. There are only a few dealers with more than one or two cars. Phoenix has such a dealer. Louisville, KY has a dealer with several dozen since they bought the remaining stock
Old 04-28-2013, 06:07 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
My budget for a 328i is low as I currently live off my savings while working on my own ideas. So I have been looking at the "striped down" version of 328i. i.e. no metallic paint, no leather, no package etc, just no-trim "Classic Line". The only options are automatic and alarm. The invoice (incl. destination fee) from Edmunds is 35K. How much I have to pay on top of that price in my area? $500 or $1k? Will the stripped down version be delivered sooner or later?

Considering my priority order for options is safety, maintenance cost, convenience, comfort and performance, what are the options I should add if I have extra $3K (excl. tax) to spend?

The BMW 3 Series is a $50,000 German luxury car.

Once you start stripping out all of its features, it becomes a very expensive car with very few features, and since BMW now forces customers to pay money for the great handling and performance it used to give you for free, it becomes a brutal value.

Unless you must have a BMW for the badge, I strongly suggest you turn your attention to other brands that give you significantly better bang for the buck.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | Dynamic Handling Package | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Ash Grain | Park Assist | Adaptive M | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
I think the base model is still pretty good, I think if you have to spend 3k extra go with
Dhp
Bmw assist with enhance USB
Moonroof ( car does not look good without it)
Car comes with power seat and leatherette and is very decent, it ages well also. Or base car with premium package which is 3200.
You need to order it though dealers don't have these cars in stock.
There are lot of features in car which is standard as compared to e90.

Other case would be go 320 and add options to ur price point. I would stay with 328i though.
E90 2007
E46 2005

Last edited by IAS; 04-28-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The BMW 3 Series is a $50,000 German luxury car.

Once you start stripping out all of its features, it becomes a very expensive car with very few features, and since BMW now forces customers to pay money for the great handling and performance it used to give you for free, it becomes a brutal value.

Unless you must have a BMW for the badge, I strongly suggest you turn your attention to other brands that give you significantly better bang for the buck.

BJ
A little harsh BJ! It all depends on what YOU value. I agree with BJ that the value proposition isn't the best with BMW relative to other brands. However, if you heavily weight Bimmer design and driving performance instead of the extra gadgets/features on cars these days, then I think a base 3 could work for you.

For example, I've probably opened the moonroof on my current car like 2-3 times in the 6 years I've owned it, but love it's xenon/HID lights and heated seats. So I got to save money on a feature I will never use!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Byron

Mein Auto: BMW F31
Quote:

I don't know how substantial your savings are but you seem to make a case for not buying a stripper BMW now. Wait until your cash flow situation improves.

If you do feel that you need a car at this time, why not look for something used? You might be able to slip into a low mileage E90 with options galore.

If you are fixated on new, why not check out some loaded alternatives, like the VW Golf R? There are plenty of possibilities out there but a stripped three series doesn't seem like one of the more appealing ones.

BMW F31 Touring / Mineral White / Sport Line
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAS View Post
I think the base model is still pretty good, I think if you have to spend 3k extra go with
Dhp
I an curious about this. No DHP = junk??? Or a boat?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'06 Saab 9-5
I would do...

BASE+MoonRoof+Lighting+DHP

or

BASE+Lighting+port installed MPerformance Suspension

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@11-16lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, SOLD

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt AERO+ TUNED
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
How about looking at the new 320?

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328xi
OP:

The base 328i is just as good as the 328i costing 50K. As long as you have the roundel on your hood, you're good. Don't let anyone dissuade you. as someone else pointed out, you should also consider the 320i, which should be good enough, as well.

Everyone is different. For me, the three top options would be

1- Driver Assistance Package

Its 900 and MUCH WORTH IT. For me, no other option offers as much bang for the buck.
The cameras in the 3 series is the best implementation I've seen. God forbid if a tyke wonders behind your car, you wouldn't be able to see him, unless you had the rear camera. The park distance control is also tremendous, because it helps you judge how far objects are behind and in front of you. Active Blind Spot Detection will probably save lots of people from accidents.

2 - Moonroof

might be hard to sell your car without a moonroof

3 - Xenon Headlights

they sure look nice and are brighter than the stock headlights
Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcreese View Post
How about looking at the new 320?
I wouldn't go with a new car being in a precarious situation as the OP, but I would prefer an equipped 320i (sport+sunroof+walnut trim) to a base 328i. 36295$ incl. D&H.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
I think dealers do order cars like this -- mainly to offer them at low monthly lease rates.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
I an curious about this. No DHP = junk??? Or a boat?
Neither.

It's just that many people expect the current 3 Series to have the same tight crisp handling as the older versions and that no longer is the case. BMW softened the base suspension, it's still handles very nicely, but it isn't that rock hard tight suspension most people are used to.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | Dynamic Handling Package | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Ash Grain | Park Assist | Adaptive M | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: E46-E92 M3s,997TT,997C4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by er3 View Post
A little harsh BJ! It all depends on what YOU value. I agree with BJ that the value proposition isn't the best with BMW relative to other brands. However, if you heavily weight Bimmer design and driving performance instead of the extra gadgets/features on cars these days, then I think a base 3 could work for you.

For example, I've probably opened the moonroof on my current car like 2-3 times in the 6 years I've owned it, but love it's xenon/HID lights and heated seats. So I got to save money on a feature I will never use!
...because BJ is an idiot (see his prior threads and judge for yourself). He is very fond of his 328i and thinks all other models are worthless (i.e. 335). He tends to brag that he spent nearly $50K on his 328i but he got taken to the bank.
They gave me a 328i Luxury loaner and it felt like my g'parents new Buick Verano in terms of steering feel and somewhat in handling. Read the reviews or better yet, go test drive one.

With that said, get a stripped down 328i if that is what you like...period. Another option is to get a lightly used and loaded E90 series.

Last edited by mark_12345; 04-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
A stripped 328 is still a great car. It is THE best value if you're absolutely set on rear-wheel drive and four doors, and not too concerned about luxury. If you're willing to go with AWD or FWD, obviously that makes numerous alternatives possible.

I think the 320 is also a great value on the whole, but it would feel underpowered to most drivers. The 328 has just enough to spin up the rear wheels a little bit.

Base suspension is a bit soft, but not enough to annoy me. Would certainly not call it a "boat".

I have the technology package, but I'm a little disappointed with it. HUD is very cool though.

"Leatherette" seats certainly look very nice, but be aware they don't feel at all like leather.

As far as wait time goes, you can probably get a base line in inter-dealer trade, in a week or two. They may tell you longer, to set your expectations low. They'll probably ask for several hundred to pay for transport.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_12345 View Post
...because BJ is an idiot (see his prior threads and judge for yourself). He is very fond of his 328i and thinks all other models are worthless (i.e. 335). He tends to brag that he spent nearly $50K on his 328i but he got taken to the bank.
They gave me a 328i Luxury loaner and it felt like my g'parents new Buick Verano in terms of steering feel and somewhat in handling. Read the reviews or better yet, go test drive one.

With that said, get a stripped down 328i if that is what you like...period. Another option is to get a lightly used and loaded E90 series.
First off, you can keep your opinions of other posters and your personal attacks to yourself. That comment was completely unwarranted.

And if you knew anything at all about the current generation 3 Series you would know that the Luxury line suspension you just criticized is exactly the same as the suspension on the base model. Unless the OP chooses a Sports line or opts for DHP, he winds up with the same suspension that all the other cars have and that you just described so ineloquently.

In its full $50,000 configuration, the F30 is a fantastic car. If one wants to knock it down to $40,000 one can still get a few options and BMWs excellent sport handling. Anything less and you might as well buy a Volkswagen.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 04-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Here is the order in which I would pick options.

1> DHP/moonroof (not sure which I would pick if I had only one)
2> DHP/moonroof (DHP is critical because there's something missing in the handling of the base car)
3> Camera (which forces you to get PDC)
4> Xenons.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 2K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Another alternative is a base 320i, provided a $30k+ brand new car still makes sense. If cost is a concern, then a 2-year old <15k miles used japanese cars for $10-15k may work too.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
OP, have you considered European Delivery? Round-trip airfare, one night stay, and 6 week delivery in exchange for roughly $3K less. Either put that $3K in your pocket or put it towards a moonroof and DHP.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Woodswatchco

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
I agree. With the 320i you can still have a good performing, rear wheel drive car with the sports package and the 4 year total maintenance package and warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Another alternative is a base 320i, provided a $30k+ brand new car still makes sense. If cost is a concern, then a 2-year old <15k miles used japanese cars for $10-15k may work too.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
320i on paper looks about like my 1994 E34 530i -- but with half as many cylinders, a lot more safety features, and a lower price!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:

It is not a 328i that you should be even thinking about. It is the 320i, the upcoming 1-Series or an used BMW if a BMW is what you are fond of.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Dude, don't buy a BMW in your condition, especially a stripped down version of it which you will "SURELY REGRET SOON AFTER"

For that Money, I would recommend a Kia Optima, the fully loaded one is about that price.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM

I've thought of the original post more and come a conclusion.

1. Decide whether you should spend the money for this car or if you are better off saving more for retirement. Or consider a 320i
2. Assuming you buy, choose what is important to you.

If I chose a 328i, I would pick:
1. metallic paint. I've had enough of a black car and I don't think I want white.
2. DHP. Handling is nice.
That's it. It would be the essence of a BMW. I might add an alarm.

I would not add xenon lights because I am not convinced they are that much better and I don't like lights moving around with every turn. That spells repair to me. I might add that my experience with xenon lights is with a Mercedes Benz.

I would not add leather because I've had enough of leather cracking and needing moisturizer. Let me try vinyl and report back in a few years. Perhaps, I'd add a sheepskin seat cushion. I'd skip navigation if I were on a budget.

Instead of getting active blind spot detection, I'd buy a German spec aspheric mirror and turn my head. I don't use a moonroof much and there's the potential for wet carpeting if the draining holes are plugged.

I would not add the cold weather package unless I lived in South Dakota to Chicago to Washington and northeast of there.

An unanswered question is how bad is the radio. Is a Harman Kardon a big improvement?

If money wasn't as tight, I'd gradually add some things that I crossed out. I wouldn't buy a Kia Optima or, in some countries, a Skoda.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 04-28-2013 at 01:58 PM.