Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Where'd you find it for that price? I haven't been able to find a new one that cheap so I ended up (for better or worse) with a rebuilt one
Took a little digging using the Valeo part number. Looks like they have gone up $10 since I bought last August.

I tried to put the link in the post but it looks like they scan for parts house urls and remove the ones they don't like (or don't get paid by).

car parts warehouse dot com (remove the spaces).
Old 05-03-2013, 05:43 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Thanks.

I got it changed out this afternoon. Only took about an hour thanks to cordless impact wrenches. It's really not bad except for getting the bolt holes lined up when putting the new one in.

13.7 volts at idle now. Woot
Old 05-03-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

I got it changed out this afternoon. Only took about an hour thanks to cordless impact wrenches. It's really not bad except for getting the bolt holes lined up when putting the new one in.

13.7 volts at idle now. Woot

I know what you mean about the bolts lining up - the alternator has to be fully seated against the bracket if the bolts are to be straight. And given the tight space I can only imagine the nightmare if one of the bolts ended up cross threaded.

BMWs are complicated machines but I would expect the complicated systems like active steering or ARS to fail. But instead simple everyday stuff like water pumps, alternators, starters, coolant reservoirs and vacuum pumps fail.

I owned many cars before this and never had any of these thing fail, even up to 150K miles, on cars costing a third of the price.

The good part is that if they are maintained they stay tight and fun to drive up to 250K miles or more.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:35 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
I know what you mean about the bolts lining up - the alternator has to be fully seated against the bracket if the bolts are to be straight. And given the tight space I can only imagine the nightmare if one of the bolts ended up cross threaded.

BMWs are complicated machines but I would expect the complicated systems like active steering or ARS to fail. But instead simple everyday stuff like water pumps, alternators, starters, coolant reservoirs and vacuum pumps fail.

I owned many cars before this and never had any of these thing fail, even up to 150K miles, on cars costing a third of the price.

The good part is that if they are maintained they stay tight and fun to drive up to 250K miles or more.
I'm pretty sure I cross threaded the bottom bolt, but that one goes through a nut in the alternator housing, so if I ever have to replace the alternator again the nut will get replaced anyways, so I'm not worried about it. I'd just need to replace the bolt as well, which I usually do anyways.

I ended up getting the top bolt lined up well enough to get it in, then it took about 4ft of extensions as a pry bar to get the alternator pushed on far enough for the bottom one to start to line up. It was a full on cardio workout there for a few minutes when I was wrestling with this damn thing though, lol

Overall not a bad job. Getting to the wiring harness was the other hard part. There isn't much room to move around. You can pull the wiring harness out of some of the clips that hold it to gain a little more room if needed
Old 05-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I cross threaded the bottom bolt, but that one goes through a nut in the alternator housing, so if I ever have to replace the alternator again the nut will get replaced anyways, so I'm not worried about it. I'd just need to replace the bolt as well, which I usually do anyways.

I ended up getting the top bolt lined up well enough to get it in, then it took about 4ft of extensions as a pry bar to get the alternator pushed on far enough for the bottom one to start to line up. It was a full on cardio workout there for a few minutes when I was wrestling with this damn thing though, lol

Overall not a bad job. Getting to the wiring harness was the other hard part. There isn't much room to move around. You can pull the wiring harness out of some of the clips that hold it to gain a little more room if needed
I was lucky enough to have found a good DIY before I started, and the suggestion to place a sheet of cardboard against the radiator to prevent damage was good. And the suggestion to place a cardboard box between the engine and radiator to set the alternator on during removal and installation helped a great deal as when bent over and struggling with the wiring harness and bolts that alternator gets heavy.

I was gentle with the alternator bracket as I had visions of disturbing the profile gasket and causing a leak.

I had to laugh when the Bentley manual suggested disconnecting the harness from the alternator as a first step. Yeah right, like I could get a hand in that tight space.

The only other alternator I ever changed was on my brother's Camry, and it took all of 10 minutes.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
DIY'er

lol, I, of course, was doing this one in same parking lot that I did the coolant pipe seals in, so I was in a rush just trying to get it done so I didn't look like the crazy redneck with a BMW next door that has to be torn apart in the parking lot every week... but ultimately I think I failed on that one after all the yanking and grunting it took to get the alternator lined up. Oh well

I'm guessing I have a huge alternator seal leak next.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Frenchy

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
schpenxel's 2004 545i issues & repairs log

Quote:
As most of you know, I've done quite a bit of DIY'ing on my car (2004 545i), so I've decided to use this thread to keep up with what I do in the future and link to some of the threads of the past. Most of the dates listed below are when I ordered the parts, not necessarily when I did the work, since I didn't really keep records of that.

For anyone looking at buying one of these fine over engineered automobiles, keep in mind that I'm doing all the work myself and it's still costing me this much to keep it going. If you can't do the work yourself, these prices will shoot up exponentially (although mine does have quite a few miles on it, none of these repairs seem out of the ordinary for the 545i world as far as I have been able to tell, except maybe the AC compressor one). It has averaged over $300 in parts PER MONTH since I have owned it. Even with that, I got such a great price on it that I can't complain.

-9/29/2012: Purchased the 2004 545i at approximately 178K miles

-10/1/2013: First up was to change transmission fluid / pan. Parts were ordered on 10/1/2012, so I am assuming I changed it sometime that month. $287.28

-10/28/2013: Next up was the solenoids and I changed another 6 or 7 quarts of fluid while I was at it. Parts were ordered 10/8/2012, but I waited a while before changing them. 10/28/2012 I posted the video of the work, so I assume it was done that same weekend. This one cost me $625.80

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=453

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zwjvxRZyvWM

-12/1/2012: Next I decided to go ahead and replace all the belts, pulley's, idlers, tensioners, etc. While I was at it I replaced the rubber strip that goes around the front and rear windshield (old ones were disintegrating..). All as preventative maintenance. $316.56

-1/25/2013: Replaced expansion tank, thermostat, water pump, water pump pulley again (ordered just in case I broke it getting it apart..), expansion tank cap/sensor and water temperature sensor. All as preventative maintenance except expansion tank cap which had had started to fall apart where the o-rings go. $287.27 + cost of the water pump (about $73 from rock auto)

-2/28/2013: Replaced AC compressor and planned on replacing all the o-rings, etc. that I touched. Unfortunately forgot to bring the box with me that had all the o-rings in it, so I used the old ones. So far so good. I installed a used AC compressor, vacuumed the system and filled it back up (I'm a little under filled right now actually). This was to fix a "death rattle" that the old one was making. I have read that if you don't replace the compressor before it goes boom, you're looking at a massive job to get the AC system cleaned back out again. $106.06 for the whole order, but it had some other things in the order for a CCC retrofit I'm working on. The AC compressor was another $250.

Thread with everything I have on this repair:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...877&highlight=

-3/22/2013: Valley coolant pipe. Thread below tells the tale. Entire cost, $703.78 for parts + $300 for rental car for two weeks (waiting on parts)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...294&highlight=

-4/28/2013: 192K miles. Today I received an "alternator malfunction" message intermittently. $325 for alternator + overnight shipping (which ended up being unnecessary)

-5/2/2012: "Increased emissions" error. P0492 code. Not sure what's going on here yet. Code hasn't came back since clearing it.
For the Increased emissions error, I'm getting that as well. I was told that it could be either the MAF sensor, or the O2 sensors. I ordered the MAF first since that was the cheaper route to start with. I found one just under $200. hopefully it does rhe trick. If it fixes the problem Ill let you know. If not, I guess I'll be orderin the PRE-cat o2 sensors next. (Roughly $315 for the o2 sensors.)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-05-2013, 12:29 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchyrider267 View Post
For the Increased emissions error, I'm getting that as well. I was told that it could be either the MAF sensor, or the O2 sensors. I ordered the MAF first since that was the cheaper route to start with. I found one just under $200. hopefully it does rhe trick. If it fixes the problem Ill let you know. If not, I guess I'll be orderin the PRE-cat o2 sensors next. (Roughly $315 for the o2 sensors.)

Do you know which code is was exactly on yours?

Mine was for the secondary air system, so I think mine is related to that somehow. I have a feeling I either cracked one of the hoses when I pulled the valley pan off doing the coolant pipe thing, or the ports are starting to get clogged and I need to go ahead and start dumping some cleaner in the lines before they get worse

Someone on here told me to replace the lines when I had the intake off, bbbut I didn't listen
Old 05-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Frenchy

Not sure if they are related but the codes I'm throwing are the following:

2882-fuel trim, Bank 1
2883-fuel trim, Bank 2
9C54-AUC sensor
9C77-Refrigerant Compressor
9AFF-Resistance, Firing Circuit, safety battery terminal, Too High

Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchyrider267 View Post
Not sure if they are related but the codes I'm throwing are the following:

2882-fuel trim, Bank 1 - Either MAF sensor, vacuum leak or O2 sensor
2883-fuel trim, Bank 2 - Same. It being on both banks makes me lean more towards MAF sensor or vacuum leak
9C54-AUC sensor - Automatic air recirculation sensor. Doesn't really matter
9C77-Refrigerant Compressor - 9C77 should be aux water pump, I thought. Mine has the same. They're about $80 on eBay for a used one. I think $150 for a new one--I never have gotten around to replacing mine.
9AFF-Resistance, Firing Circuit, safety battery terminal, Too High - I think there was a recall on this. It's for the explosive on one of the battery terminals if I remember correctly

Feedback in bold above. You probably already knew all of that, but figure it may help someone at some point
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Frenchy

Well, it wasn't the MAF for the low emissions error. Just got my brand spanking new sensor this past Monday and the error came back. Looks like I'm going to have to spend 300$ on two o2 sensors next

Old 05-25-2013, 06:16 PM
DIY'er

Just hit 194K miles today.

The "Increased emissions" error / P0492 code has not come back for some reason. It's been a week or two since I reset any errors last. I'm sure it will be back sooner or later!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM
DIY'er

194.5K. P0492 is back

Also changed oil and filter last weekend. Should be good to hit 200K
Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Schpenxel.. After I swapped out my alternator I also put in a new charging relay. Thought u might want to change yours as well. A little preventive maintanence ( only 25 bucks ) to go with your new alternator will help keep your charging system in tip top shape....
Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
Schpenxel.. After I swapped out my alternator I also put in a new charging relay. Thought u might want to change yours as well. A little preventive maintanence ( only 25 bucks ) to go with your new alternator will help keep your charging system in tip top shape....
Will have to look into that. Seems like I saw that as a common failure when I was looking into my battery discharge messages. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Will have to look into that. Seems like I saw that as a common failure when I was looking into my battery discharge messages. Thanks!
It's a 1inch x 1inch square fuse with a diagonal handle in the trunk fuse box, u can't miss it. It actually takes longer to take the side cover out than to change the relay . Takes a sec to replace it..
Old 06-05-2013, 06:18 PM
BMW Master Wannabe

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
It's a 1inch x 1inch square fuse with a diagonal handle in the trunk fuse box, u can't miss it. It actually takes longer to take the side cover out than to change the relay . Takes a sec to replace it..
It is the black colored relay 1x1. I replaced mine last fall when I was having battery issues. Turned out to be a bad battery, but at least I know that my charging system is working as it should. I only paid $18 at my dealer. I have seen BMW original part online for cheaper too.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racooper3 View Post
It is the black colored relay 1x1. I replaced mine last fall when I was having battery issues. Turned out to be a bad battery, but at least I know that my charging system is working as it should. I only paid $18 at my dealer. I have seen BMW original part online for cheaper too.
Well I reckon I got burned,,,, LOL. 18 bucks is btr than 25, lol
Old 06-22-2013, 09:01 PM
DIY'er

197k!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
DIY'er

198K+

Change front brake pads today. Old ones weren't gone nearly as bad as I thought they'd be (there was a horrible squeak sometimes) but whatever, it fixed it
Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM
DIY'er

Hit 200K miles the other day... Not too shabby

I'm going to have to break down and replace valve seals / intermediate levers at some point. It's smoking a little more and once the weather turns cold again it'll have the rough idle in the morning crap again from the levers being out of spec, but I can't do that until I have another car to drive in the mean time.. so, we'll see
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 005.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	388313  

Last edited by schpenxel; 07-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Hit 200K miles the other day... Not too shabby

I'm going to have to break down and replace valve seals / intermediate levers at some point. It's smoking a little more and once the weather turns cold again it'll have the rough idle in the morning crap again from the levers being out of spec, but I can't do that until I have another car to drive in the mean time.. so, we'll see
Hey Bro check out this thread interesting concept... Dual oil catch cans, think it would be worth giving this a shot.

http://forums.5series.net/e60-parts-...p-pics-133703/
Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 AM
DIY'er

Thanks, will look into it. Worth a shot..
Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 PM
DIY'er

~205K miles, two new front tires. $220 for the tires (were mounted by someone else and then taken right back off..) + $40 for mounting/balancing

holy god it's like a completely new car. No more steering wheel shake, so much quieter, smoother, etc. It was like someone had a window rolled down the last month and finally rolled it up, lol. My old tires literally had wire sticking out of them and some of the tread pealing off. I had no idea they were that bad!

Active steering initializing error is up right now. And steering wheel is a little crooked. Reset everything tonight, hopefully it just needs some driving time to fix itself.

Looking in INPA, the steering wheel angle shows up dead on, and the angle for the tires is perfect.. for some reason it's setup an offset between the two though. Hopefully it will figure it out on it's own

Last edited by schpenxel; 08-26-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM
DIY'er

Active steering went right back to normal this morning, woohoo. I had reset everything last night after I finally figured it all out, but didn't feel like taking it for another drive.. the first time I came to a stop this morning, it straightened up on it's own. Guess it's good it didn't do that while I was driving, lol