Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F12 / F13 M6 & F06 M6 Gran Coupe (2012 - current)

F12 / F13 M6 & F06 M6 Gran Coupe (2012 - current)
F12 / F13 BMW M6 and F06 M6 Gran Coupe Forum.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Rumored: M6 Competition Package

BMW M6 competition package

Remember when 560 horsepower was a lot of power? The joys of modern engineering now means mid-500 hp is expected in mass produced cars such as the M6 and M5. The problem is that BMW ins't the only one who has figured out how to wring massive power out of their engine. The BMW M5 is especially coming under fire from competitors with equivalent HP numbers. Rumors are that Bavaria plans on fighting back with a competition package for the M5 and M6 that include a power bump for the S63tu engine. Unlike pervious competition packages, such as the M3 competition, the M5/M6 package will be show and go.

For reference the stock M6 is powered by the S63tu making 560 horsepower and 500 ft-lbs of torque. This is what the rumor mill says about the possible competition package for the M6.

Quote:
Here's what you can expect according to what we're hearing:
  • Power bump of approximately 15 hp, probably a few torques too
  • Competition Pack-specific suspension
  • New M steering wheel
  • New 20-inch wheels, probably lightweight
  • New sport exhaust system with black chrome tips
  • Increased top speed
If the rumors are true the competition package will be available for the M5, M6 coupe, M6 convertible and M6 Gran Coupe. Stay tuned for what we hope is conformation from BMW. In the mean time what is your guess on pricing for an M6 competition package?

Read more about the M5/M6 Competition Package at AutoSpies.com
Ads by Google
Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: '14 BMW M6 & M-B ML63AMG
M6 Competition Package - Does it really make any sense?

I am probably in the minority here, but for the approx. additional $15,000 cost for this package I have to question is it really worth it....?
For and extra 15-20 bhp? In the US, who really cares about top speed.... it is the acceleration ability of these vehicles that really counts and one can use and appreciate.

The car already has the spoiler and I for one prefer it to be painted body color and not carbon fiber, which looks like an aftermarket add-on. The 2013 M-B SL63 AMG's originally came with a carbon fiber spoiler and most customers requested that they be painted body color, to the point that M-B decided to just do that as the standard configuration...

Over half of the people who purchase M6's do not get the ceramic brakes at the silly expensive additional cost. I appreciate the benefits of ceramic brakes, especially the reduced brake dust coating the wheels, but they do squeak when cold. I do not plan to track my M6 so these brakes are an expense that I cannot really justify.

I happen to like the current optional 20" wheels on the M6 and am not a fan of black colored wheels, (just my personal preference).
Maybe I am missing something here, but I wonder how many M6 owners or potential owners would really spend that additional money for what this package includes...???

The photo of the M6 at the beginning of this post appears to have the car lowered by at least 1 1/2 inches. It sort of looks overweight to me and not very attractive. I guess since my M6 will be a daily driver on some roads that are less than ideal, I do not want to sacrifice any suspension play to absorb ruts and pot holes that could damage the tires, wheels or worse. (Yeah, I know I sound like an older East Coast driver, but that is what I am.....)

I am in the camp that believes that BMW should just include many of these items as standard equipment on the 2014 model, except for the ceramic brakes, due to their cost.
It just starts to get silly when these so-called performance packages become options. I think it is much better to keep is simple.

2014 BMW M6 Coupe (Daily Driver)
2007 M-B ML63 AMG (Vacation & Winter Vehicle)
2013 BMW 335 xDrive Coupe (Wife's Daily Driver)
1961 M-B 190SL (Fair weather weekend treat)
2004 M-B E55 AMG (leased, returned)
2004 BMW X5 4.4i (leased, returned)
2001 BMW X5 4.4i (leased, returned)
2000 M-B E45 Sport (leased, returned)

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 05-17-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
I have heard that it will also have improved software update for hydraulic steering.