Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
front passenger window won't go down

I was looking at a V8 (Australian delivered thus right hand drive) model and the passenger windows won't go down. I searched the net and most of the response I came across says it has something to do with the regulator. Would it be possible to know if it's the motor that has gone bad?

Are these easy to replace? as I said, this a right hand drive model so not sure if I should get the left or right part (as listed in pelican or ecstuning).

thanks!
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0i
most likely the regulator.

its pretty easy to fix. i managed it and it was my first car repair ever. there are plenty of guides around here. dont waste money letting a shop do it.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis55 View Post
most likely the regulator.

its pretty easy to fix. i managed it and it was my first car repair ever. there are plenty of guides around here. dont waste money letting a shop do it.
found a youtube guide but there are some instances where the guy is blocking the camera's view.

Can you share the guide you used? thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Yippikayaaaay

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 4.4
I've fixed a few things inside the door. I have the X5 manual and it goes through step by step how to do it. Real easy once you know how.
I have the Australian version V8 you talk about. When I depress the window lock button which is on the driver side control panel, the rear windows cannot be operated by the rear window switches, they can be only operated by the main driver panel. Could it be that your lock is on but the indicator lamp is out? Other than that it seems unlikely that both driver motors would go out at the same time indicating that it could well be the regulator. I would test with an electrical tester and see if the power is going through properly. You can pop out the control panel easily and test the electric current. I would use the operating windows as a guide to see how the current is supposed to work and see if you can find an anomaly.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyace20 View Post
I've fixed a few things inside the door. I have the X5 manual and it goes through step by step how to do it. Real easy once you know how.

snip...
do you mean the bently manual?

also did you buy the left or right side regulator (assuming you bought it from a US shop like ecstuning/pelican)? just unsure because of the location of the steering wheels in the US models.

thanks again!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Yippikayaaaay

Yes the bentley manual.
Its the window lifter without motor, front left. that I replaced. Thats how you would know which one it is at realoem.com they don't call it driver side or passenger side because of obvious reasons, they make the car with steering wheel on both sides.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Yippikayaaaay

I will add that when you specify which vehicle you have at the beginning of the search at realoem.com you do enter that it is european and right hand drive. from then on I believe you just choose front left or front right.