Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Ruprect Gern

Mein Auto: 98 Z3
Quick Reply Please - M44 - Timing Case Assembly Plate - 112330

I'm assembling an M44 for a Z3 and putting the timing case back on.
in order to do so, BMW suggests using this tool to make the gasket alignment easier. I believe that the plate is used on the 6 cyl as well.
Has anyone performed this installation, and do you remember the thickness of this plate, I'd like to make one rather than spend $75 to buy one and wait for shipping.

new part number is 83300490867
old number is XXX XX 112 330

EDIT: As i thought, the assembly plate is designed so that you can get the timing case on without damaging or moving the upper seal.

So my question has become, "how can you get the lower cover on while the head bolted up." are there any tricks, etc. what have others done.

thanks

Last edited by RuprectGern; 04-29-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuprectGern View Post
I'm assembling an M44 for a Z3 and putting the timing case back on... how can you get the lower cover on while the head bolted up... are there any tricks, etc. what have others done.
The Bentley Manual page 117-20 says the upper timing chain cover comes off before the lower. Page 117-24 says the lower cover goes back on before the upper. Aside from that sequence, I don't see any particular tricks to it in the book, but have not done it myself.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Ruprect Gern

Mein Auto: 98 Z3
that is true, but in this case i am trying to bolt the timing case to the block.

http://bmw.workshop-manuals.com/3_Se...age-221003.png

the timing case is the aluminum module that fits against the block below the cylinder head and behind the lower timing cover.

I have improvised an assembly tool as illustrated, - very thin 1/16" piece of aluminum.but i am running into a few issues.
  • First, as i push the case back toward the block, the rubber seal wants to start deform its way out of the grooves away from the sealing surface.
    I have used grease on the plate and the gasket to allow it to slide in up against the bottom of the head but it still starts to deform and push its way out.
  • Second. lining up the cover to the oil pump and sliding the case on evenly is quite difficult. there are dowels in the block and those have to be lined up correctly, and i wouldn't want to deform them.
  • I have had the case almost flush, but the seal is pushed out in certain areas and woudnt work.

What i don't want to do is unbolt the head. i would have to get a new gasket and bolts.

this can be done, the tool is proof of that.

any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
... how can you get the lower cover on while the head bolted up...
Quote:
... i am trying to bolt the timing case to the block...
I thought you were trying to get the lower cover of the timing case on, not the case itself. Will scan and post some pages from the Bentley Manual in a few hours - they may show some tips.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Bentley Manual on timing case:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bentley 117-18.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	373995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bentley 117-19.jpg
Views:	23