Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Corvette, 740iL, 328i
Unwanted / Unneeded Options

Just got a great lease on my 2013 328i convertible, although very limited supply now as BMW is getting ready for the upcoming new 4 series.

For those of you who didn't order your car to spec, but bought straight from dealer's lot, which extra options did you get with your car that you probably won't want to pay for your next car?

Love the Premium package & Navigation system, but These are the options I paid for that I can live without (& don't want to pay for next time):

$550 Mineral White Metallic paint, I can't tell from reg white
$500 Heated front seats, not needed in hot Houston TX
$350 Sirius Satellite radio, my opinion is that Sirius music sound quality really suck
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickh View Post
Just got a great lease on my 2013 328i convertible, although very limited supply now as BMW is getting ready for the upcoming new 4 series.

For those of you who didn't order your car to spec, but bought straight from dealer's lot, which extra options did you get with your car that you probably won't want to pay for your next car?

Love the Premium package & Navigation system, but These are the options I paid for that I can live without (& don't want to pay for next time):

$350 Sirius Satellite radio, my opinion is that Sirius music sound quality really suck
Nick, fwiw, heated seats are not necessary in Los Angeles either, but I have come to love them. I tend to use them like heating pads for my wonky back!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickh View Post

Let me tell you something about these cars. A little known secret that slimy sales people don't want you to know. Listen to this one trick to save thousands of dollars on your car purchase:

NONE OF THESE BMWS ARE "LIMITED" OR "VERY LIMITED".

In the future, custom order - you have to wait for it to arrive, but you get exactly what you want.

Though, how the heck did Houston get heated front seat car???

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Nick, fwiw, heated seats are not necessary in Los Angeles either, but I have come to love them. I tend to use them like heating pads for my wonky back!
Yes, and just like heating pads in a few years they won't get very warm anymore

I actually hate when people abuse the seats in that way. They are not meant to be heating pads. All heating type coils will degrade over time. If you accept that, and want to have the heating elements swapped then go for it, otherwise it's probably not very good advice.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post

I actually hate when people abuse the seats in that way. They are not meant to be heating pads. All heating type coils will degrade over time. If you accept that, and want to have the heating elements swapped then go for it, otherwise it's probably not very good advice.
Yea I don't even like driving my car because it may wear out. I don't want to have to swap out the whole thing. I hate when people drive their cars.
2001 X5, 2009 528i (retired)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:

I don't get what you are complaining about. You're upset because someone is using a function of their car in a way that it was intended to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrocks View Post
Yea I don't even like driving my car because it may wear out. I don't want to have to swap out the whole thing. I hate when people drive their cars.
Same here. People should just buy cars, and leave them on the dealer lot.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrocks View Post
Pretty horrible analogy. Cars are built to be driven and will naturally wear over time. Heated seats are designed to warm up the leather (ie. Cold weather package), not provide muscle relief. Everything will wear out. Using heated seats as a heating pad (not there intended purpose) will cause them to fail MUCH sooner than designed.

Maybe you can come up with a better analogy?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
I don't get what you are complaining about. You're upset because someone is using a function of their car in a way that it was intended to?

Same here. People should just buy cars, and leave them on the dealer lot.
That's my point furby. Heated seats are NOT intended to provide muscle relief. The difference being the length of time they are left on.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Pretty horrible analogy. Cars are built to be driven and will naturally wear over time. Heated seats are designed to warm up the leather (ie. Cold weather package), not provide muscle relief. Everything will wear out. Using heated seats as a heating pad (not there intended purpose) will cause them to fail MUCH sooner than designed.

I never use my heated seat but my wife uses it all the time for lower back muscle relief while sitting in the passenger seat. I can't imagine the heating element costing too much to replace if ever needed, so c'est la vie!

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Believe it or not, I've seen Luxury car makers sell Cold Weather Package w/ snow tires for the Houston market.

I've seen snow on the ground in Houston 3 times in the last 35 yrs.
& funniest show around: Houstonians driving in the snow like elephants on ice skates...
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:

I'm not even following your point. When I use my seat heaters as a heating pad (which, btw, I've done with several cars and never had a heating element fail), I warm up the seat, it gets nice and toasty, and then I turn it off. I really don't see how that is supposed to lead to failures.

I also don't get why you would "hate it" when somebody else uses their seat heater in a certain way.

And, finally, I would like you to come up with one bit of hard evidence that frequent use of a heating element in a car (as in somebody who might run it every day) leads to high rates of failure. I'm not just talking about your own personal speculation, I'm talking about data driven. Via the data in CR's surveys, the failure rate on that part is nil.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 04-29-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I never use my heated seat but my wife uses it all the time for lower back muscle relief while sitting in the passenger seat. I can't imagine the heating element costing too much to replace if ever needed, so c'est la vie!

Probably not a huge cost but it is a labor intensive job... at least it was for my non-functional G35 seats.

You'll probably fine that the seat that gets used more takes longer to get warm and doesn't get as hot. At least that has been my experience on a variety of cars that have people use the seats for extended periods like that. The thing is people don't always notice that they degrade because it happens slowly... it does happen though.

Just want to make sure people are aware.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328IX Sportwagon
That's 5 mins lost!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I'm not even following your point. When I use my seat heaters as a heating pad (which, btw, I've done with several cars and never had a heating element fail), I warm up the seat, it gets nice and toasty, and then I turn it off. I really don't see how that is supposed to lead to failures.

I also don't get why you would "hate it" when somebody else uses their seat heater in a certain way.

And, finally, I would like you to come up with one bit of hard evidence that frequent use of a heating element in a car (as in somebody who might run it every day) leads to high rates of failure. I'm not just talking about your own personal speculation, I'm talking about data driven. Via the data in CR's surveys, the failure rate on that part is nil.
Can't help you if you don't get what I am saying. I was pretty clear. If you only turn it on a few minutes that is fine because it mimics the use for warming the seat.. as it was designed. I have seen many people turn the seat on it's highest setting and leave it there for the duration of their drive. They do this every day. That is using it in a manner that it wasn't intended for. You have to at least agree with that? You ever notice the owners manual says to use the highest setting until warm, then lower it. Reason for that.

I never said it would fail, but would take longer and longer to heat up and not get as warm. Wear out quicker. Do you own a heating pad? Have you noticed it significantly degrades over time... (ie. a few years of use). You might not even notice it as much in a car... especially if you only keep the car a few years. Many people have heated seats here and my last 5 cars have had them. They do fail to get as warm over time, I can assure you of that. Does consumer reports test seat heaters on cars over 3 years ago... I am guessing no.

Oh, and I "hate it" when people use things for purposes they weren't intended for because I hate when things have to be built to be idiot proof.

On a semi-related note, did you know Audi had to lower the temperature of their heated seats a few years ago. Woman were getting too many yeast infections.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
...All heating type coils will degrade over time....
Heating elements are not like light bulb filaments. They do not wear out. If that were so, all the wallboard heaters in 50-year old buildings would have needed to be replaced.

It is possible that the constant flexing of the seat cushion containing the element might cause work-hardening that might cause it to break, but that is not due to it's electrical properties.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Heating elements are not like light bulb filaments. They do not wear out. If that were so, all the wallboard heaters in 50-year old buildings would have needed to be replaced.

It is possible that the constant flexing of the seat cushion containing the element might cause work-hardening that might cause it to break, but that is not due to it's electrical properties.
Other than the thickness of the wire and the fact that a light bulb is in a vacuum how are they different?

I am not saying the seat heater is as fragile as a light bulb but it does degrade. The constant temperature changes of the element causes it to be more brittle combined with the flexing creates the problem in a seat heater.

I wasn't thinking electric heat, but I shouldn't have said every heating element I admit. Electrical baseboards are very static (no flexing whatsoever) and of a much thicker gauge wire.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Options i require..Leather seats & Rear sun shade other than that it's a drivers car no extra fluff required.Exterior options such as Rim upgrade or performance exhaust are worthwhile.

Last edited by Chop362; 04-29-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Other than the thickness of the wire and the fact that a light bulb is in a vacuum how are they different?

I am not saying the seat heater is as fragile as a light bulb but it does degrade. The constant temperature changes of the element causes it to be more brittle combined with the flexing creates the problem in a seat heater.

I wasn't thinking electric heat, but I shouldn't have said every heating element I admit. Electrical baseboards are very static (no flexing whatsoever) and of a much thicker gauge wire.
Seat heating elements don't oxidize like bulb filaments because of the temperature they run at.

The constant heating is more likely (IMO) to cause it to be LESS brittle due to annealing.

Actually, baseboard heaters expand and contract (the outer radiators) lengthwise.

The seat heaters in our '91 525i were still working after 200K miles/17 years. I wouldn't worry.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
I kinda like the Mineral White myself, but it all personal preference. I've had heated seats on my last few cars also. CA is a warm state too, but they're nice on a cold evening or morning.

BTW - I've never had any problems with the heated seats failing, nor have I read anyone else complain about them (and people sure aren't afraid to complain). I have a bad back also, and have been known to turn them on for a little relief. It's hard to imagine someone getting worked up over that
Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Can't help you if you don't get what I am saying. I was pretty clear. If you only turn it on a few minutes that is fine because it mimics the use for warming the seat.. as it was designed. I have seen many people turn the seat on it's highest setting and leave it there for the duration of their drive. They do this every day. That is using it in a manner that it wasn't intended for. You have to at least agree with that? You ever notice the owners manual says to use the highest setting until warm, then lower it. Reason for that.

I never said it would fail, but would take longer and longer to heat up and not get as warm. Wear out quicker. Do you own a heating pad? Have you noticed it significantly degrades over time... (ie. a few years of use). You might not even notice it as much in a car... especially if you only keep the car a few years. Many people have heated seats here and my last 5 cars have had them. They do fail to get as warm over time, I can assure you of that. Does consumer reports test seat heaters on cars over 3 years ago... I am guessing no.

Oh, and I "hate it" when people use things for purposes they weren't intended for because I hate when things have to be built to be idiot proof.

On a semi-related note, did you know Audi had to lower the temperature of their heated seats a few years ago. Woman were getting too many yeast infections.
That last bit is hysterical.

I did not mean to get aggressive with you. My only point is that we are sort of speculating here. And, from what I can see, there really isn't any hard evidence or data that BMW heating elements fail under particular usage patterns.

But, I appreciate your logic nonetheless.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
A heater is a resistive device. Its wattage is computed at W=I^2*R. I have worked with heaters for about 25 years. My industry of experience has used them in a much more extreme environment than a car seat, true heater element failure has been rare. The most common failure mode has been the thing that controls the heater going off and on, that is the thermostat. Heaters need to be well connected by virtue of conduction to sink the heat away and prevent the element from burning up. This can be verified by using an infrared camera. Simply put, heaters have been around a long time and the elements don't generally degrade. The only way the heat output will decrease is if the resistance increases. This causes the circuit amperage to then decrease. The fall off will then be non linear.

I also live in Houston and occasionally turn on the heater for for warmth for about 3 months out of the year. A family member enjoyed the heater on her back and buns for soreness after standing up at a Mardi Gras parade all day long. I was glad i had it for her relief. Life is meant to be enjoyed and not worried about. Its like having a new roof put on your home and hoping it never gets rained on as it will eventually leak.

My favorite option on my D is the folding down rear seats. My unfavorite option is the low to the ground M sport chin that is so easily scraped even when i am anally careful for bumps in the road and minorly steep driveways.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM

"My unfavorite option is the low to the ground M sport chin that is so easily scraped even when i am anally careful for bumps in the road and minorly steep driveways."

Houston has the worst roads, full of potholes & uneven lanes. I had a friend custom make a spring loaded front chin & kept it black to match my dark blue metallic exterior so scrapes won't show as easily...
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
Any in-car media/navigation tech will be trumped by any smartphone now or in the future. With modern cars having full bluetooth audio (in high bitrate), do you need anything in-built besides the HD am/fm audio?

And yes, Sirrius bitrate/quality sucks.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
If you have heated seats and want to use them to warm your buns or incubate an egg, or melt chocolate, just use them.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: e36 328i e46 m3
I feel like cold weather package is pretty much unneeded in the state of california... unfortunately all the m sports i'm looking at got it because all the rich people added every single option under the sun.