Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
2001 325i caught on fire! Please help

I am 21 years old and worked 3 jobs all summer just to save up for a nice BMW as they are the most quality cars in the world. I bought a 325i, 2001 and have had it for about 4 months when yesterday is caught on fire, "in the trunk on the battery side of the vehicle." I had only had liability on the car considering i could not afford full coverage, so i dont get a penny back from insurance. The car was my pride and joy, i kept great car of it, and was looking forward to having it for the summer. I am unaware why it caught on fire as i was driving, i am extremely heart broken and upset with the whole situation. I feel as if BMWs out of all brands should not have this issue without having any reasoning behind the matter... basically i have looked for recalls online, and spoken with BMW in hope to recieve some sort of reimbersment for the freak accident. They said there are no recalls for this year (2001) of a bmw, however there are recalls for newer year vehicles that seem to apply similarly to my situation... all in all, i refuse to give up and accept the situation as a 100% loss, but are not sure of what to do or how to pursue this situation. I need help and advice, please and thank you...
Ads by Google
Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Help!

I am 21 yrs old, and just spent the majority of my money on a 2001 325i BMW 4door. I had it for about 3 months, untill yesterday i was driving to work and it caught on fire. I came to a red light, the power died, and a fire was started in the back right hand side of my trunk- right where the battery is. It was a freak accident, and i am extremely heart broken. Having minimun $ i could only afford liability isurance therefore i recieve no money back at all. I called BMW to check for any recalls and they said there are none. I have done some research online and there are a few relatively related recalls that could apply to my situation however they are issued to newer model cars... All in all, i do not know much about cars, or how to handle this situation. I refuse to believe or accept that the best brand made cars in the world just catch on fire for no reason and that i am at a 100% loss. Please, help! Any advice or underlying information to resolve this is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a bunch!!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Weird. There was a thread four days ago with the exact same problem.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=on+fire

I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your car, but the biggest thing is that you made it out okay.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 PM

RECALLS ON 01 325i

My 2001 325i randomly caught on fire while driving to work yesterday. Are there any recalls on this model?? Any advice??..... I had only liability insurance and refuse to accept this as a 100% loss. PLEASE HELP! Thank you.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

I know you're upset, but one thread at a time, please.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 PM

Very upset haha... Do u have any information on a 2001 325i recall? That would relate to my situation?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
After I totaled my first BMW and didn't have full coverage and got nothing back?. That's the day I got full coverage on all my cars. Never know what's going to happen. With that said, there was a rear light recall for bad wiring that shorts, that might help.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
After I totaled my first BMW and didn't have full coverage and got nothing back?. That's the day I got full coverage on all my cars. Never know what's going to happen. With that said, there was a rear light recall for bad wiring that shorts, that might help.
"If you can't afford a new car, you can't afford NOT to have full coverage."

Words to live by, right there.

EDIT: Did you have an aftermarket sound system or anything? Just... curious.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 04-29-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
Re: RECALLS ON 01 325i

I think your out of luck.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntbimmer View Post
Very upset haha... Do u have any information on a 2001 325i recall? That would relate to my situation?
Nope....there is none. These cars are not prone to catch fire. Yours is most likely a freak occurrence. Any time you go into a situation under-insured, it`s a gamble.....the odds came back to bite you in the ass....sorry....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Sorry to hear that you lost your pride and joy, that has to hurt. What recalls are you looking at that might apply to your car? To be up front it is unlikely that you're going to get BMW to pay for a 12 year old car that caught fire if their was a recall and the service wasn't performed, especially if it doesn't directly apply to your VIN.

Do you know the exact cause of the fire?

Tim

Last edited by tim330i; 04-29-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
Sorry for your loss. I pay thousands of dollars every year to cover my cars against losses, money that could be better spent elsewhere, but I've learned my lessons about being under-insured. It's a hard lesson for sure!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM
The UltimatE46 Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
-

Last edited by JayKayo; 04-29-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 PM

tim330i

I dont know the exact cause of the fire. All i know is it happened directly where my battery is located which leads me to believe it had to have been some sort of electrical wireing issue? i know there were some recalls on rear light defects...
Old 04-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Your 2001 wasn't covered by the recall -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=565571

As I said before I think you're SOL. I'm going to move this thread over to the E46 forum so you can see if any other E46 owners have any advice but you're going to have an incredible uphill battle (more then the car is worth) to get BMW to pay for anything.

EDIT - I see you had threads in the E46 forum already. I've merged them together and updated the subject to something useful.

Tim

Last edited by tim330i; 04-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
Bmw fire!

Sadly this is a lesson to be learned. Do no dump all your hard earned money into a car then not be able to carry full coverage. Sadly since you didn't carry full coverage you are not going to get any help. Depending on how bad the damage is you can sell parts of your car or try to sell it as is to someone who is looking for parts or a project car. No way will you recoup your money into what you paid. I do agree that there is most likely no way BMW will pay to replace your car as it is out of warranty driven by some one who didn't carry full coverage and who's to tell over the years someone hasn't messed with the electrical.

Personally I've only ever heard of two or three fires with E46 cars and that's because member here have posted there stories. Good luck.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Thanks a bunch, i appreciate your help... Im going to copy paste this article to see if u have any advice on it......
2001 Bmw 325i Engine And Engine Cooling Recall 02V138000

NHTSA: Action Number: N/A Service Bulletin Number: 02V138000
Report Date:
May 16, 2002
Component:
Engine And Engine Cooling
Potential Units Affected:
Manufacturer:
Bayerische Motoren Werke

Summary: On certain passenger vehicles, the engine auxiliary/cooling fan operation, including variable speed, is electronically controlled. Failure of the fan motor can cause the electrical circuitry of the fan control unit to overload and fail, causing the fan to stop operating.

Consequence: If this were to occur, engine overheating and subsequent engine damage could result. In addition, it is possible for the failure of the electrical circuitry to cause a fire in the fan control unit located in the front of the engine compartment.

Remedy: Dealers will replace the fan. Owner notification began september 28, 2001. This is a supplement to a recall that began during september 2001 (see recall campaign 01v206). Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact bmw at 1-800-831-1117.

Notes: Also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's auto safety hotline at 1-888-dash-2-dot (1-888-327-4236).
Old 04-29-2013, 03:17 PM

Bmw fire!

Full coverage is the way to go unless you are not worried about loosing your car at some point. I do not believe that make and model was covered by that recall. Maybe you can google or call BMW and ask for a recall list but I doubt you'll find anything useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post

Old 04-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Bmw fire!

Pretty sure your only going to have your front end catch fire in this case. This recall was completely different then the tail light recall. Keep looking you might get lucky and find something.

Key words in that article::
In addition, it is possible for the failure of the electrical circuitry to cause a fire in the fan control unit located in the front of the engine compartment."

Your going to loose either way, and if your lucky enough to find a recall good luck getting BMW to cover it now that the cars caught on fire.

Quote:
Thanks a bunch, i appreciate your help... Im going to copy paste this article to see if u have any advice on it......

Report Date:
May 16, 2002
Component:
Engine And Engine Cooling
Potential Units Affected:
Manufacturer:
Bayerische Motoren Werke

Summary: On certain passenger vehicles, the engine auxiliary/cooling fan operation, including variable speed, is electronically controlled. Failure of the fan motor can cause the electrical circuitry of the fan control unit to overload and fail, causing the fan to stop operating.

Consequence: If this were to occur, engine overheating and subsequent engine damage could result. In addition, it is possible for the failure of the electrical circuitry to cause a fire in the fan control unit located in the front of the engine compartment.

Remedy: Dealers will replace the fan. Owner notification began september 28, 2001. This is a supplement to a recall that began during september 2001 (see recall campaign 01v206). Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact bmw at 1-800-831-1117.

Notes: Also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's auto safety hotline at 1-888-dash-2-dot (1-888-327-4236).

Last edited by kbeamer; 04-29-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:

the electrical circuitry of the fan control unit to overload and fail, causing the fan to stop operating.
).
OK....enough is enough....KNOCK IT OFF ALREADY

Your situation is turning into Ghidra The Nine-Headed Monster....

You fcuked up, pure and simple, OK....and now you`re grasping for straws. Except there are no straws to be had....you`re DONE....learn something from this, and move along with your life....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
Even with insurance you are usually screwed, and in a case of total loss the insurance company will greatly undervalue your car, but at least you would have gotten something. You took a gamble, you lost. Move on.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Administrator

^ harsh but true. If you want to exhaust all possibilities simply call a dealer with your VIN and see what recalls were available for your car. There isn't going to be anything that caused this, but if you want closure that will give it to you.

Again even if you found a recall that might have caused this it is possible the service was already performed. If it wasn't good luck getting BMW to admit anything. As I stated you'd spend more in lawyer fees then the car is worth, and you still won't get anything.

Here is the same situation where there was a recall on the issue. Doesn't sound like the owner got anything from Buick, it appears the onus is on the owner of the vehicle, not the manufacture to get someone to bring the car in for the recall repair. Which if you think about it makes sense.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/re...consumers.html

Tim
Old 04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
01 330CI

Mein Auto: 01 330CI
How bad is the damage?
Post some pictures.

Last edited by car5car; 04-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

One more time: Did you have an aftermarket stereo system?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
2001 325i caught on fire! Please help

Sorry about the fire but do you know if the battery was replaced? Was it the proper battery with venture and all?
At the end of the day, you should have had adequate coverage if the car meant that much to you. The car caught on fire, but anything could have happened. Someone could have stolen it, it could have suffered hail damage, a tree could have fallen on it, anything. Looking to blame BMW on a 12 year old car that probably did not have a BMW battery and probably had not seen a BMW service bay in 7 years is really pushing the limits. Your posts make it sound like you are making excuses for not having insurance and looking for ways to get BMW to pay for your mistake.
It is an expensive way to learn a hard lesson.