Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 08-17-2004, 01:51 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
How do you get back in the reigns? I'm not sure if I want/can drive again

I've always been an uber safe driver. I've never caused a wreck but been in a few thanks to some bad incidences. (S) After my talon died, I realized I had no reason to drive around town. If I can't walk there, I can get a ride. If I don't need a ride then I don't need to go. Well, tonight a friend needed me to drive his car while he took his rental to the lot.

Something has happened over the years. I used to drive my Talon like it was on the track every day and was always in control. A while back I rented a car and was almost bitten by the driving bug. Tonight when I was told I was driving one of the cars I wasn't excited. I was terrified. I'm already a "sissy" driver in adhering to the posted limits as is, but I was over checking intersections, paying over adherance to the speed limits on streets and driving like a complete grandma. I know it wasn't a race to the rental store, but here I was stuck right at 35mph, no higher no lower indicated, properly signaling well in advance of every turn, even when not necessary (neighborood streets where we were the only ones ont eh street.)

A couple years ago, this would have been a Grand Prix run for me. I know this car pretty well and I tink I was wigging most b/c if I wrecked it I'd have to deal w/ my friend, but damn. Even when I had the right of way on a turn I was extra sure that I actually had it and the other person didn't go anyway. IN the back of my head I felt like I missed something or someone and was going to get crunched on every corner.

Was I over paranoid? Was I just taking care of my bud's car or have I totally lost it? I never felt driving (even while street running) so scary as just taking a casual drive down the street as I did tonight. I know I'm out of practice, but damn. I'm about to never drive again, at least not on the streets. Oh, the dumbass in all black clothes on his black bike that popped off the curb didn't help any! It should be legal to run over retards like that. I only say that b/c I've ridden w/ no reflectors and black clothes in the dark and popped out into traffic. I sure wouldn't have complained if I got hit.

Anyway guys, I know the old "If you fall off the horse" lesson, but I'm really doubting myself right now. In my own defense, the car wasn't set up for me to be comfy and blind spots were there, but damn. Just being scared on the road has really made me wonder about things. How sad is this that a perspective M3 owner is now almost scared to death to drive?

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Last edited by Jever; 08-17-2004 at 02:07 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2004, 04:16 AM

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Don't sweat it. Your chops are rusty, and it was an unfamiliar car.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:46 AM
Vegan, not Romulan

Send a message via ICQ to Pete Teoh Send a message via AIM to Pete Teoh Send a message via MSN to Pete Teoh Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Teoh
Mein Auto: ****
rein ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rn)
n.

1. A long narrow leather strap attached to each end of the bit of a bridle and used by a rider or driver to control a horse or other animal. Often used in the plural.
  2. A means of restraint, check, or guidance.
  3. A means or an instrument by which power is exercised. Often used in the plural: the reins of government.

reign ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rn)
n.

1. Exercise of sovereign power, as by a monarch.
  2. The period during which a monarch rules.
  3. Dominance or widespread influence: the reign of reason.

I think you should use the word "rein"... unless you're wielding Excalibur while driving and jousting with Sir Lancelot.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Broom
Its just that you were driving someone else's car I drive over a hundred miles a day, I'm pretty confident with my driving ... but as soon as I get into someone else's car, I'm not so confident, I worry about doing anything wrong with their car ... that's why I don't drive anyone else's car but mine
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 08-17-2004, 06:48 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Well if your scared driving now...
you may want to take some performance driving lessons before you get that M3.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Aren't you a little young to be scared of driving?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Lovin' Life

Mein Auto: 2000 540i6
Driving School!!!!!

I drive aggressively. However, I always assume everyones out to get me and always look for options to escape situations. It make me a less sociable driver to occupants but makes everyone safer.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
you just need to get laid!

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 08-17-2004, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: Broom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamZ4
you just need to get laid!
I don't think your his type ... but you never know
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 08-17-2004, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtorbn
Driving School!!!!!

I drive aggressively. However, I always assume everyones out to get me and always look for options to escape situations. It make me a less sociable driver to occupants but makes everyone safer.
This is a good answer but TeamZ4's is better.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Lovin' Life

Mein Auto: 2000 540i6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod
This is a good answer but TeamZ4's is better.
Z4 scooped me again!

Is that like the fortune cookie thing where you add in bed to the end of each one. I.E. getting laid is the universal answer?

Old 08-17-2004, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
I have days like that sometimes. Everything is just "off" for some reason. Give it another try on another day, and I bet you'll be fine.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:16 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
I think ya'll are right here on all points. It's an unfamiliar car and most of all, not mine. There is a definate relaxation knowing that if I wreck my own car then oh well. Taking away someone elses mode of transportation was probably more of what I was scared of. Not to mention, all the students are back so we've got an extra 25k people here and if you want to see some non-drivers, this is the place to be!

Once I decide to go buy a ride, I'll definately be taking advantage of my CCA membership adn going to as many school as I can afford to go to. I've also been thinking of giving up my dream car for now and stepping down to a 330, at least for a couple years or so to get back in the hang of things w/ 100 less HP.

Getting laid...hmm, 2wks till payday and I'll see if I can find a hooker somewhere.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jever
How do you get back in the reigns?
Mixed metaphors are snowballing home to roost like a house on fire!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:47 AM
call me darkcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Teoh
rein ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rn)
n.
  1. A long narrow leather strap attached to each end of the bit of a bridle and used by a rider or driver to control a horse or other animal. Often used in the plural.
  2. A means of restraint, check, or guidance.
  3. A means or an instrument by which power is exercised. Often used in the plural: the reins of government.

reign ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rn)
n.
  1. Exercise of sovereign power, as by a monarch.
  2. The period during which a monarch rules.
  3. Dominance or widespread influence: the reign of reason.

I think you should use the word "rein"... unless you're wielding Excalibur while driving and jousting with Sir Lancelot.
Actually I would have said saddle but I wasn't thinking. By the time I posted this I was home and comfy w/ a few bourbon's in me.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina
Its just that you were driving someone else's car I drive over a hundred miles a day, I'm pretty confident with my driving ... but as soon as I get into someone else's car, I'm not so confident, I worry about doing anything wrong with their car ... that's why I don't drive anyone else's car but mine
Quite likely.

I sometimes worry about driving other people's cars (but not rentals). And a couple of my friends refuse to drive mine worrying that they might hurt it.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY