Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
Some MP3 songs will not play in CD changer

Hi,
I ran into this recently and finally figured it out. I didn't find any threads on this particular subject / solution, so figured I'd post this. Sorry if it's a dup of some other thread.

I ran into an issue where I'd create a CD of MP3 files, and some would play and some would not in the CD changer. I seemed to have better luck if I played them through the single disk player in the dash rather than the 6 disk changer in the trunk, but even there I seemed to run into issues.

I typically download my music from Amazon.

The issue is the bitrate of the MP3 file. Some songs downloaded from Amazon come it at 192 kbps, some at 256 and some at even higher.

It seems the CD changer will not play songs with a bitrate higher than 192 kbps.
To fix this, you need to convert your CDs down to 192 kbps. AllI can tell you is 192 seems to always work...so far...

There are several applications to do this, but here is how you can do this in iTunes:

In itunes, Edit > Preferences: select Import Settings and set this to 192 kbps (higher quality)
Under Advanced, there is a folde designation. This is where the converted files will go.

The right click on a song in itunes and select Create MP3 Version (even if it's already a MP3). After the conversion, the 192 kbps file should be in the file desigated above.

Hope this saves someone the frustration I had in figuring this out.
Steve
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sde_az View Post
Hi,
I ran into this recently and finally figured it out. I didn't find any threads on this particular subject / solution, so figured I'd post this. Sorry if it's a dup of some other thread.

I ran into an issue where I'd create a CD of MP3 files, and some would play and some would not in the CD changer. I seemed to have better luck if I played them through the single disk player in the dash rather than the 6 disk changer in the trunk, but even there I seemed to run into issues.

I typically download my music from Amazon.

The issue is the bitrate of the MP3 file. Some songs downloaded from Amazon come it at 192 kbps, some at 256 and some at even higher.

It seems the CD changer will not play songs with a bitrate higher than 192 kbps.
To fix this, you need to convert your CDs down to 192 kbps. AllI can tell you is 192 seems to always work...so far...

There are several applications to do this, but here is how you can do this in iTunes:

In itunes, Edit > Preferences: select Import Settings and set this to 192 kbps (higher quality)
Under Advanced, there is a folde designation. This is where the converted files will go.

The right click on a song in itunes and select Create MP3 Version (even if it's already a MP3). After the conversion, the 192 kbps file should be in the file desigated above.

Hope this saves someone the frustration I had in figuring this out.
Steve
That is weird, my cd changer plays everything no matter what the bitrate. Maybe you need to get an update for yours or something.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:02 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks001 View Post
That is weird, my cd changer plays everything no matter what the bitrate. Maybe you need to get an update for yours or something.
Probably VBR vs CBR issue. Virtually everyone hooks up their phone via an aux cable or A2DP these days.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars