Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:47 AM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Dash Cam Blackbox

Avoided 2 near misses with reckless drivers this past week. One chick entered the Beverly Center driving her van onto the exit ramp and she almost struck me head on. Another idiot cut me off from the left lane in order to speed through a yellow light on Sunset. Were it not for the F30's brakes it would surely have been an accident.

I'm a fairly decent (and sane) driver and the bozos around here have me contemplating the installation of a dash cam blackbox. Anyone install one or have experience? Considering the Blackview 500, Boyo, and Smarty to name a few. Most are Korean and only have Windows software. I'm on Macs so this is an obstacle. Would appreciate any input.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
what about those gohero pro cams? or are they overpriced/hyped
Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 PM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Avoided 2 near misses with reckless drivers this past week. One chick entered the Beverly Center driving her van onto the exit ramp and she almost struck me head on. Another idiot cut me off from the left lane in order to speed through a yellow light on Sunset. Were it not for the F30's brakes it would surely have been an accident.

I'm a fairly decent (and sane) driver and the bozos around here have me contemplating the installation of a dash cam blackbox. Anyone install one or have experience? Considering the Blackview 500, Boyo, and Smarty to name a few. Most are Korean and only have Windows software. I'm on Macs so this is an obstacle. Would appreciate any input.
I would honestly be worried about liability. While it may help you, it might also hurt you. God forbid you do something which is illegal/your fault and your dash cam becomes evidence. You may also fun afoul of state/local laws which disallow dash mounted cameras for one reason or another.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM
///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
what about those gohero pro cams? or are they overpriced/hyped
I don't believe Go Pro have GPS or S sensors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
I would honestly be worried about liability. While it may help you, it might also hurt you. God forbid you do something which is illegal/your fault and your dash cam becomes evidence. You may also fun afoul of state/local laws which disallow dash mounted cameras for one reason or another.
Good point! Am considering the negatives as well as positives. Saw interesting cable story on cops who wear cams on their glasses. Makes them better cops and has cut amount of contested arrests by 70%. One argument goes "the installation of a dash cam makes you a better driver because you monitor yourself like a third party would". I believe there's some truth to that.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Are there really laws against these?

I have one of these and it works pretty well. I did a lot of ebay shopping and this one is pretty low-profile and, with the sticky plate, lays almost flush to the windshield. It looks much better that many, which have huge suction mounts, mounting arms, flip down screens, etc. It also comes with a secondary rear camera on a long cable but you don't have to use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-720P-X2-D...item56526379f9

'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM
///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Are there really laws against these?

I have one of these and it works pretty well. I did a lot of ebay shopping and this one is pretty low-profile and, with the sticky plate, lays almost flush to the windshield. It looks much better that many, which have huge suction mounts, mounting arms, flip down screens, etc. It also comes with a secondary rear camera on a long cable but you don't have to use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-720P-X2-D...item56526379f9
Dash cams are legal in Cali The gray area of liability is "can you be forced to incriminate yourself if you're at fault in a accident" and I don't know the answer to that.

Did you hard wire this cam or do you use lighter adapter?

Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Dash cams are legal in Cali The gray area of liability is "can you be forced to incriminate yourself if you're at fault in a accident" and I don't know the answer to that.

Did you hard wire this cam or do you use lighter adapter?
I just used the power socket under the glovebox. I only mounted temporarily to test so it's not installed right now.
Was thinking about getting one for each of the cars, especially the one my 16-yo will start driving in a couple of weeks.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette, 740iL, 328i
That Chick has a cam in her van & got video of you cutting her off....

Check it out on YouTube:
Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
The gray area of liability is "can you be forced to incriminate yourself if you're at fault in a accident" . . .
No grey area here; a camera is physical evidence. The Fifth Amendment protects only against compelled self-incriminating testimony; that is, you cannot be forced to answer questions.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
No grey area here; a camera is physical evidence. The Fifth Amendment protects only against compelled self-incriminating testimony; that is, you cannot be forced to answer questions.
Correct, you can be compelled to surrender evidence. Some people have tried to get around this by encrypting the content. However, I don't believe there has been a final decision yet on whether providing your password for encrypted content is consider self-incriminating. So don't assume that encrypting the content will prevent it from being used as evidence. Recent rulings have said that being compelled to provide the password is NOT self-incriminating.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:22 PM
///M Sport

Quote:
Seems logical. You can end up hanging yourself if you're overtly at fault. Don't know if L.A. is any exception but the drivers here are crazy! That's what got me thinking. And if a dash cam blackbox promotes safer driving I view that as a positive. The technology seems to be there and they're affordable. Some reasons I've been toying with the idea.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
I have one of these and it works fine. One trick is to have a spare chip, If something happens, pop the chip and put in the blank one. You don't GPS or G meter as your car's blackbox has that. You use Velcro pop it off and and into the pocket or console. Use cig lighter for power.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8GB-Spy-Car-...item255db3b3fa
Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: F30 3.35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
I agree. Liability is your major concern here. Drive defensively...there are just people out there jealous or ignorant.

Now I'm not the one to say I'm one of those defensive drivers especially with 14 speeding tickets under my belt and one hell of an attorney....BUT that was the old me.

The new me says let it go drive safe...enjoy your car and ALWAYS leave a pocket of distance between your car and other vehicles on the road.

Not sure what your laws are in your state, but in Texas due to the Castle Law you are allowed to carry a firearm in your personal vehicle as long as it is not visible. This is because your vehicle is your private property. Same reason you can carry any firearm inside your home for self-defense.

If the other driver is giving you excessive road rage, and is trying to purposely damage your private property (your vehicle).

1). Call the 911 report the make/model/plate of the suspect
2). Get your firearm ready if he decides to do something drastic. Always keep in mind the other driver may gave a firearm already in his hand.

Just thought I'd share a bit of advice with you because twice I had to pull out my .45 because two a$$holes were literally trying to ram my brand new truck because I was not "going fast enough."

Number one rule: Drive safe and treat others as you would expect to be treated.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
I been driving with dash cam for past 4 years, I use contourhd or the drift hd. These cam are actually off my paintball gears that I got mounts for on my car. Prices are getting better.. you dont needd a super 4k resolution one.. 1080p is really good already. 32gb memory cards are around 20 bucks, you can carry multiple ones. Some dash cam lets you overwrite older videos, the contour/drift/hero doesn't. They're more of an action cam, but if you already have it, why not use it.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexChen86 View Post
Just thought I'd share a bit of advice with you because twice I had to pull out my .45 because two a$$holes were literally trying to ram my brand new truck because I was not "going fast enough."
Pulling out a firearm was a better solution than just pulling over and letting them pass, eh?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
I been driving with dash cam for past 4 years, I use contourhd or the drift hd. These cam are actually off my paintball gears that I got mounts for on my car. Prices are getting better.. you dont needd a super 4k resolution one.. 1080p is really good already. 32gb memory cards are around 20 bucks, you can carry multiple ones. Some dash cam lets you overwrite older videos, the contour/drift/hero doesn't. They're more of an action cam, but if you already have it, why not use it.
Where'd you mount the Contour?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM
///M Sport

Appreciate hearing differing POVs. Am really on fence about this.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwvwvw View Post
Pulling out a firearm was a better solution than just pulling over and letting them pass, eh?
It is a Texas thing. Better not to get too bothered by it. Trucks, guns, Houston, you know
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros

Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM
///M Sport

Perfect ending! Hicks are damn lucky they didn't buy a bullet. If homosexual Hillbillies like these guys would only come out of the closet there wouldn't be so much road rage. They could screw each other instead of screwing around with innocent drivers.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Perfect ending! Hicks are damn lucky they didn't buy a bullet. If homosexual Hillbillies like these guys would only come out of the closet there wouldn't be so much road rage. They could screw each other instead of screwing around with innocent drivers.
seriously?
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 PM
///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
seriously?
Absolutely... And I see nothing objectionable about my conclusion. These hicks almost got themselves shot by acting out on their sexual repression and stalking the wrong guy. In hindsight this could've been staged.

Last edited by Pappy Pipes; 05-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
The Fifth Amendment does not apply to civil cases. So in your auto accident tort case it would be admissible, even if it might not be in a criminal matter.

Further, even in the criminal realm this is a complex area; parts of the video may be testimonial even if the tape itself is not.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Seems like the police are allowed pretty wide leeway if their dashcam videos get erased or go missing.

http://blog.simplejustice.us/2011/08...dash-cams.aspx
http://www.theagitator.com/2010/08/1...os-go-missing/

Not sure why a citizen would be held to a different standard and claim either a) the camera was not functioning at the time and no recording exists, or b) the recording was not retrieved from the memory card before being overwritten. That's if anyone knows about it - seems like a good idea to keep it discreet and hidden if you do install one.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: F30 320D
This is the inside of my car.

Look on top, in front of the rear view mirror. I've got a blackbox hard wired near the headlamp. Hard wired to ACC ('on' only when ignition is present).