Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2017, 06:08 AM
Evan1000 Evan1000 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las cruces nm
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2005 bmw x5 4.4i
Bought original cut key.

OK so my old key fob went out and i purchased an original off of ebay. Precut. The key doesn't even turn the ignition. Did I buy a worthless key? Or is there something I can do to make this work
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-05-2017, 07:00 AM
gunyvw gunyvw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: va
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 524
Mein Auto: x5
i didnt even know they did pre cut
is the key also programmed to the car
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2017, 07:20 AM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,713
Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan1000 View Post
OK so my old key fob went out and i purchased an original off of ebay. Precut. The key doesn't even turn the ignition. Did I buy a worthless key? Or is there something I can do to make this work
Precut? Precut to what? You've left a HUGE blank in your description.
Did you buy a used key that was "precut" for another vehicle? Or did you buy a blank key that was supposed to be cut for your vehicle (by the seller) using your VIN?

If you purchased a used precut key that was originally cut for another BMW...then how were you expecting it to fit your ignition? Are you under the assumption that any BMW key will fit any other BMW's ignition?

Every BMW since Jan/95 not only has keys that are specifically "coded" with an ews transponder chip that has an ISN (individual serial number) burned into it that must match the other ews component's ISN...but the key blade is cut specifically to each vehicle and all the lock cylinders are also "coded" to a specific cut based on the vehicles VIN as well (door lock cylinder, trunk cylinder, ignition, glovebox cylinder).

If you bought a used BMW remote key that was cut for another BMW, then no...it will not work in your ignition and neither will it start your car. But you can program it to lock/unlock your car remotely if you have your original key that can turn the ignition to position 1 (KL R). Just follow the steps to initialize your remote keys and a used remote key can be programmed to your fzv (central locking) to lock/unlock the car as long as it uses the say RF (radio frequency) which is 315 MHz in the USA. And as long as the battery inside the key is fully charged. If you purchased the new "diamond shaped" key...that is sealed...then this will be another hurdle because those keys are charged while in the ignition. So if the key will not fit into the ignition and can't turn it at least to KL R (position 1)...then that key can't be kept charged. .
__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Evan1000 Evan1000 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las cruces nm
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2005 bmw x5 4.4i
Thanks you sir, and yes it was cut for a different vehicle. I was hoping it would work as the seller said I'd have to call a locksmith. so I figured i could do it myself. And I believe the receiver for my kEyless entry may be broken. As for the key that is made for my vehicle, the keys don't work. And trying to program the new key's transponder to my x5 was unsuccessful aswell. Turned the original key to the first setting , then turned it off and pulled it out. On the key i just purchased , then held the arrow key while pressing the lock button 3 times .. nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Precut? Precut to what? You've left a HUGE blank in your description.
Did you buy a used key that was "precut" for another vehicle? Or did you buy a blank key that was supposed to be cut for your vehicle (by the seller) using your VIN?

If you purchased a used precut key that was originally cut for another BMW...then how were you expecting it to fit your ignition? Are you under the assumption that any BMW key will fit any other BMW's ignition?

Every BMW since Jan/95 not only has keys that are specifically "coded" with an ews transponder chip that has an ISN (individual serial number) burned into it that must match the other ews component's ISN...but the key blade is cut specifically to each vehicle and all the lock cylinders are also "coded" to a specific cut based on the vehicles VIN as well (door lock cylinder, trunk cylinder, ignition, glovebox cylinder).

If you bought a used BMW remote key that was cut for another BMW, then no...it will not work in your ignition and neither will it start your car. But you can program it to lock/unlock your car remotely if you have your original key that can turn the ignition to position 1 (KL R). Just follow the steps to initialize your remote keys and a used remote key can be programmed to your fzv (central locking) to lock/unlock the car as long as it uses the say RF (radio frequency) which is 315 MHz in the USA. And as long as the battery inside the key is fully charged. If you purchased the new "diamond shaped" key...that is sealed...then this will be another hurdle because those keys are charged while in the ignition. So if the key will not fit into the ignition and can't turn it at least to KL R (position 1)...then that key can't be kept charged. .
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2017, 03:18 PM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,713
Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan1000 View Post
...trying to program the new key's transponder to my x5 was unsuccessful aswell. Turned the original key to the first setting , then turned it off and pulled it out. On the key i just purchased , then held the arrow key while pressing the lock button 3 times .. nothing...
Since fzv features of the key (central locking) requires the battery inside the key...since this is a used key...there's no way to tell when the last time it was charged. If the battery is below 2.2 volts...then regardless of what you do in regards to programming...nothing will happen because the key's battery is probably dead.

The key's battery is required to operate the FZV (central locking) and DWA (anti-theft alarm siren system) features of the key. The EWS (immobilizer) features of the key does NOT need the key's battery to operate...it is self powered thru induction.





__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 03-05-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Evan1000 Evan1000 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las cruces nm
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2005 bmw x5 4.4i
I did some surgery on my original key and opened it up ( clean cuts ) and the replaced the battery with the 2025 3v from auto zone . No response when put back together and used with new battery

Sent from my SM-N910V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 AM
Evan1000 Evan1000 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las cruces nm
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2005 bmw x5 4.4i
...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Evan1000 Evan1000 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las cruces nm
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2005 bmw x5 4.4i
Can I possibly switch the insides of the keys with new battery and program it with the key cut for my car??

Sent from my SM-N910V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,713
Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
I'm not sure of what you're specifically asking...and if you understand the differences & specific functions of the 3 features of the remote key (EWS, FZV, DWA) when asking about programming.

EWS isn't programmed the same way as FZV & DWA. EWS must have the correct chip soldered to the key's IC board. FZV & DWA can be programmed to other e38/e39/e46/e53 as long as the battery inside the key is charged up & operates on the same frequency your car is equipped (315 MHz in North America & some markets or 433 MHz in Europe & other markets)...& you have at least one key (remote or non-remote) that can operate your ignition cylinder.

Hopefully the diagram below will be helpful in helping all...us in understanding what you're ur asking... and you in asking us.

__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; Yesterday at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM
Evan1000 Evan1000 is offline
Registered User
Location: Las cruces nm
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2005 bmw x5 4.4i
Thanks a lot bro . And basically yes, I'm trying to get one of these key fobs to work, this diagram is some help thank you

Sent from my SM-N910V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Folgen Sie Mir's Avatar
Folgen Sie Mir Folgen Sie Mir is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PAC NW
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: Fast
Go to the dealer with your car registration & ID. Pay $160 for a key that works. No more wasted time.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
key fob, key not reconized, key not working


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms