Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-18-2014, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 X5
Transmission - 2000 X5 Gear Monitoring Faults

Sorry this is so long... But enjoy the mini novel I wrote!

I purchased a 2000 X5 last December, and have driven it 5k miles almost a year later. I have plunked over $2k into the car fixing various issues (I intended on driving it forever) but now I seem to have come across the mother of all issues recently...

Between 25 & 30 mph, the car shudders pretty drastically, but after 30 it stops... Then right before I come to a complete stop the car downshifts violently (seems like I slammed on the brakes)

I've spent $100's on "diagnostic costs" and everyone says "I can't find anything wrong with the car" then finally went to an indy mechanic that specializes in BMW...

He hooked it up to his smart phone, and ran the car for a couple minutes, then got a 31 & 35 code (or maybe it was 35-38) in any case, he said they were "gear monitoring codes" and likely my tranny was going bad... I asked if I should flush the tranny, and he said no don't do that, that is never the solution for a tranny already showing symptoms and could accelerate the issue.

So, I went to another indy euro-car mechanic (my usual guy, very reputable and knowledgeable), and told him what the first guy said, he said my car has known tranny problems cuz BMW used the 5 series tranny, and it wasn't beefy enough to handle the big SUV, plus added to the fact that BMW recommended never changing the fluid (which they have recently reversed that advice apparently and now suggest 40k tranny flush)

Anyway, he suggested flushing the tranny (and said that is the first thing anyone should recommend) then probably flushing it again a few thousand miles later... So I made an appointment.

After I left, I decided to get a 3rd opinion, and stopped at the BMW dealer... The technician said the gear monitoring codes I am getting is the "kiss of death" and I need to replace my tranny. Then said "you should try to sell it and make it someone else's problem"... But I'm not as immoral as the crooked Russian that sold it to me...

So now what!? A new tranny is upwards of $8k (more than the car is worth) or should I waste my money on a cheaper used one and pay a smaller fortune fixing it? Or just drive the car to death... Or maybe hold out hope that they were all wrong and the car will go for another 100k... LOL
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
First.
I would not go to BMW dealer for the second opinion - I am not saying they are wrong but for them is always same story "never change fluid and if transmission fails - replace it" I would check with other independent an or contact transmission manufacturer.

Second: What do you know abut the history of this car - transmission service specifically? Was it ever serviced or rebuilt?

I would suggest reading more on this as well
This may be a good place to start.
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-problems.html

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/131...ogram-problems
Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 AM

Probably Doomed

The BMW technician was actually my 3rd opinion :-( And I've gone to two other guys since, and I think I'm pretty much doomed, here is what they all said:
----------------
EuroPro - Spokane: He originally found the "death codes" and explained what the gear monitoring means, and recommending NOT flushing the tranny.

C&H Foreign Auto: "These transmissions are notorious for going out because people were told never to change the fluid, however we recommend flushing the transmission a couple times to be sure, we charge $400 for a tranny flush"

Camp BMW - Spokane: "Those codes are the kiss of death, go trade the car in and make it someone else's problem"

The European Machine: "Yup, your transmission is going out, it's $2500 for a rebuilt one from the ZF factory, plus shipping, plus labor, which will cost about $5k when it's all said and done"

AAMCO: "We can rebuild it, and we've rebuilt a few of them, the last one was about $4,000, but the customer supplied some of the parts"
========

So it would be stupid to rebuild or replace the tranny at these prices... So now the question is, do I drive it until it dies, or take the unethical approach and "make it someone else's problem" (maybe I can find a crooked Russian like the one who sold me the car and make it his problem... LOL)
Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Hey. Don't know if you have fixed the problem yet, but the gear monitoring codes doesn't necessarily mean that your gearbox is toast. I don't know how familiar you are with Automatic transmissions, but I'll try to paint you a picture of what's happening when you got poor torque converter slip ratios.

First thing you need to know is that there are three important factors which equals the torque converter slip ratio;

1. Engine speed signal from DME
2. Output shaft revolution signal from revolution sensor
3. Gear position, which is supposed by the EGS (electronic gearbox control)

If the actual gear position is higher than the position supposed by the EGS, the slip ratio will exceed it's specified values, and causing that nasty yellow gear light on your dash(Trans Failsafe Mode).

The automatic transmission is probably the finest and most complex piece of engineering in your car. That makes it hard to narrow your problem down to one specific part to replace. In general I would suspect one of the shift solenoids. Which one of them depends on which gear is causing the trouble code. It could be one of the clutch packs, or a poor valve body. Do you have the specific model of your gearbox? It would be helpful.

As mentioned above you should start with checking the 1 and 2 sensors and work your way deeper into what's causing the problem.

As for BMW dealers they usually tell you to replace your gearbox to save their own as$, and earn some big bucks. I don't know how its in the US, but where I live, the techs who work at certified BMW dealers are certainly not qualified to tear down an automatic transmission and pinpoint the problem.

I too have a 00 X5 E53 3,0i with similar problems with the trans in the beginning. First thing I did was flushing the gearbox with 6,5 gallons of fluid. I got the car really cheap as a repair object, so i didn't have anything to lose anyway. All I can say is that it worked for my car.

Don't give up just yet!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmclure View Post
... So it would be stupid to rebuild or replace the tranny at these prices... So now the question is, do I drive it until it dies, or take the unethical approach and "make it someone else's problem" (maybe I can find a crooked Russian like the one who sold me the car and make it his problem... LOL)
So what did you end up doing?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM

I am still driving it the way it is... I've found most places charge $400 to flush the tranny in my car... Money that I'm hesitant to possibly waste if it doesn't do anything

So I thought about flushing the tranny myself. I've changed oil before, but transmission flush is more work obviously :-(