Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-21-2014, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
2001 Noob - Steering angle sensor calibration tools

Hello,

My vehicle was totaled recently with only 60k on it. Rather than run right out and apply the whole insurance check plus another 25k to get a new one, I picked up a 2001 X5. My first BMW.

I got it relatively cheap with 100k on it, and a few problems, however it was very well maintained. One problem being a leaky filter housing gasket, which I'm going to spend most of this coming Saturday replacing. The other is the BRAKE, ABS, and traction lights being always on. The seller said it was the "steering angle sensor". Only having an OBD2 reader, I hooked it up but found nothing relating to the SAS.

I then ordered the SAS and replaced it. I watched some bogus video on Youtube saying all I had to do was turn the wheel all the way to the left, and then all the way to the right, and it would be calibrated. Not to my surprise, that didn't work.

Now I'm reading about all these tools such as INPA and GT1 to calibrate this. I hit ebay and found everything from $5000 dealer equipment, to $60 scams from Romania. Well, I think they're scams, but I could be wrong.

So, I want to ask you all. What's my least expensive option for calibrating this thing from a tools perspective? Honestly, I'd rather stick a rag in the gas tank and light it before I pay a dealer what they want to do this. Plus I know Ford, Chevy, and Nissan fairly well. BMW is if nothing else interesting, so I'd rather learn how to fish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by *-Chris-*; 07-21-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 PM

As far as I can tell, the "BMW Scanner 1.4.0" tool will recalibrate the SAS, and it's the most reasonably priced. Can someone confirm that?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 AM

So no one can tell me what the most inexpensive and/or the best value tool is for resetting/calibrating the SAS on this vehicle? Really? I know that the INPA software works, or at least read that it does, but all my computers are Win7 64 bit, and it will not work. So I'm looking for a handheld to buy, or other 64 bit compatible software.

Right now I only have an ELM327 usb tool, which up to now has been fine for my purposes. Of course I could spend $1500 on a tool I'll use a handful of times, but I'd rather not. I just want to get this job done. Any ideas? Links?

To fully appreciate why I'm asking this, there are literally hundreds of low-end tools on the market. Nearly all say they can do the job. Less than half actually can. So any feedback that comes from experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Wow. Not a single response. I guess this place is fundamentally useless?

I'll keep looking for another forum I guess.