Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-02-2017, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 x5
Bought an 06 X5 - service engine light, check coolant light and it is leaking oil

Just bought first BMW used... 06 x5 bought it yesterday and today service engine light came on and check coolant light and found that it is leaking oil. Does anyone have any idea what this may be?
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Retired Fed

Mein Auto: 2006 M5 E60
Take the car back and cry like a baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Sorry to hear about your troubles. If you can I would just return it, if you can't then we can work on helping with the issues.

Tim
Old 01-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Franco X5

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 3.0
Take. It. Back.
1971 f250 4X4
1963 Chevrolet Biscayne coupe
Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoX5 View Post
Take. It. Back.
Couldn't agree more. Unless you like working on cars and want to spend a ton of time, not to mention money, working on this one. Take it back!
Old 01-13-2017, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: E38 & X5
Welcome to the world of used bimmers...lol. if you don't want to ne blindsided with many more issues to come the sealership can do a used car evaluation for around 200. It would be wise to learn everything you can fast. Little issues with our cars left unadressed can create chaos. Assuming you haven't taken it back yet it is likley not coincidental that the cel came on a day after your purchace. My last oil leeak was the ring around the filter housing cover. $2, fix...hope you're that lucky...my coolant leak was the bleeder screw... $4. For 2 from autozone... etc etc etc...
Old Today, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: X5 E53 3.0i
Have a 2006 X5 with 170,000 kms (106,000 miles) on it in which the first owner did 97,000 kms in 4 years and it was on sold in a different State with no attached service record. So been going blind wrt servicing issues and tackling them as they crop up and using an old Windows 7 computer to monitor the car faults. The latest has been a small but ongoing engine oil leak. Thought it might be the sump gasket some times and not the filter housing so after tolerating a bit of smell and oil loss for 5000 kms decided to bite the bullet and strip out the front LHS stuff in the road and replace the Oil Filter Housing gasket myself but before doing so hosed down the engine block several times over a week so it would be less grubby down there.

Things learned while doing it is the fan is easy to take off but the Alternator is a tight fit and need a bit of not so gentle treatment to get it off the mounting bracket which is part of the housing. The 3rd bolt at the back on the power steering pump is hidden away. When is came to the final extraction after the 6 bolts where taken off and stored in order it came to me that the engine side of the Vanos line is only needed to be taken off and if the crush washers (14 mm ID) leak after refitting it's an easy replace job (I used on new one on the inside).

I watched 3 different youtube DIY tutorials before I attempted it. The re-tightening sequence (star pattern) is important as is the torque applied on refitting the 6 bolts. Clean that area up well before doing so though. The minor leak was at the bottom of the seal which was flat as a tack on the engine side. The new one fitted easily.

This is a good posting on the issue: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=422843
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170323_221356.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	592307  

Last edited by bitzer; Today at 05:40 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw, check coolant light, oil leak, service engine light

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search