Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5
unconnected vacuum pipes

hi Friends, am in the process of replacing the head gasket on my beloved X5 3.0L e53, am a little baffled because after removing the inlet manifold I have noticed two pipes unconnected, one of these pipes traces back to the cab, the other is not connected to anything at both ends! there is also an unused vacuun hole on the manifold which is located not far from one of the pipes but it isn't an odvious fit to of connected to it!
please note this vehicle has been converted to LPG, have owned the car for over a year and everything has run fine so am quite happy to ignore these pipes, would be very good to no what these pipes are for, I might just plug the open vacuum hole on the manifold if need be.
have posted some pics, really hope some one can shed some light on this!
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OPEN VACUUM HOLE, NO PIPE CONNECTED.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	476348   Click image for larger version

Name:	unconnected pipe at front of engine, not connected at both ends.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	476351   Click image for larger version

Name:	mysterious unconnected pipe (rear of manifold.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	476352   Click image for larger version

Name:	ANOTHER UNCONNETED PIPE.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	476353   Click image for larger version

Name:	333.jpg
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	476354  

Click image for larger version

Name:	manifold removed.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	476355  

Last edited by X5madman; 11-16-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2014, 07:25 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
The "brolly handle" shaped pipe in your third photo is the vent line for the transfer case; it doesn't get connected to anything at the top and plugs into a fitting on the transfer case at the other/bottom end. I would reconnect the bottom end when refitting the manifold, you dont want wate/roadspray in your transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5
hi Scott and thanks for the reply,
the brolly handled pipe in the third photo traces back into the cab so I guess that now goes to the transfer case??
sorry I am still confused, the other brolly handled pipe that you see in the other picture clipped onto the side of the inlet manifold, is this a breather pipe for something? only it was not connected to anything near the sump as thats were it traced back to before I removed it
thanks and cheers for the help you have given so far
Old 11-19-2014, 11:01 AM
We want the Lion!

Hmmm...

The pipe not connected to anything on either end is likely the vent link for the transfer case. It exists the transfer case and ends up somewhere near #5/#6 cylinder.

The vent line that ends inside the cabin... I have no idea what that one might be. You certain it enters the cabin and doesnt run beneath the floor? There's a fuel tank vent line (a hardline) that runs from the purge valve under the intake (@ #1 cylinder, aside the power steering reservoir) back to the fuel tank.

Quote:
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:04 AM
We want the Lion!

Oh, and while the intake manifold is removed, it would be worthwhile to replace the CVV/crank vent valve and the hoses; they are no fun to replace with the intake in-situ.

Quote:
Quote: