Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to thekingsim0n
Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4i
Remote on Key Not Working on X5 :( [PLEASE HELP]

Hello X5 fans!

I am a very happy owner of the BMW X5, although i might have to fix a huge issue (Catalytic converter) I am writing today about a different issue ive been having over the past month. My key's remote features has stopped working. I searched the forums and im still stuck without an answer

At first i thought it was the key itself being damaged, i figured screw it ill get another get, i went ahead got another key and while it was programmed for the car, the person told me that the receiver in the car itself is the issue at hand. Now how can this be? I didn't check out the fuses (Fuse number 53? i believe) but if it is the fuse then my gas door shouldnt open when i lock the car manually using the door.

Any ideas on what it can be?

Thanks!

~Simon.
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Anyone out there have any clues? please
Old 07-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 325i and x5
Have you tried BMW assist (if you have it)
If not, I would take it to the dealer.

Ordered: 6/24/09
In my garage: 7/13/09
Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM

Im not sure what BMW assist is :/

Anyone have any ideas on where the receiver in the car is?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingsim0n View Post
...At first i thought it was the key itself being damaged, i figured screw it ill get another get, i went ahead got another key and while it was programmed for the car, the person told me that the receiver in the car itself is the issue at hand. Now how can this be? I didn't check out the fuses (Fuse number 53? i believe) but if it is the fuse then my gas door shouldnt open when i lock the car manually using the door.

Any ideas on what it can be?

Thanks!

~Simon.
Make sure your keys are fully charged. Check all the fuses that deal with the central locking system, keyless entry system, and anti-theft alarm system.

If your keys are fully charged and all of the fuses are good...have you tried re-initializing your keys? You will need to have ALL of the keys with remote keyless entry ability with you start reprogramming them. Any remote key not there...will no longer lock/unlock your vehicle.

You MUST follow every one of the instructions to a "T". Lock/unlock the vehicle first, get in and close all the doors, etc. When you finish the FIRST key...start the 2nd key (and any other remote keys you have) on STEP 4.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 07-02-2009, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: VW
Talking I hate to cherp in on this but, it may help?

I had the same prob. with my '03 X5. I took it to the dealer and for $125 they told me I needed a new main body elec. module. They would do the job for $1,100.
My symtom's were remote key lock/ unlock did not work on the doors. nor did the center concel lock/ unlock button. No interior lights. I could open the trunk but that was it.
I looked for a used BCM and found them for $75 to $175. (Not recomending to buy used) I got lucky (I think).
I paid $75.
The Main Body Elec. Mod. is found behind the glove box to remove, 4 screws up front and 1 screw found on each side Lt. and Rt. wiggle, wiggle, wiggle and out it comes.
The BCM is big and white just like the one you better have in hand.
******Pull the Neg. wire off the battery located in the trunk under the spare tire.******
The BCM is held in place with the tabs, top rt. and Lt. side, hold them back and wiggle it out.
Three connectors, small white, small black both have a plastic "saddle" over them lift and pull them over to the left or right and the plug will come out.
the large plug has a side pull, you have to wiggle the plug out while pulling the slide to the left, you can use a flat-bladed screw driver, but go EZ so as not to brake it.

Replacement is the same in reverse

The next hurdle is re-init. your keys as above, or you may want to take to the dealer to have the new BCM coded. I have not needed that yet.

Note: The first time I turned the car back on, all the inst. lights were staying on I thought I had to have dealer code the new BCM as was told. I started and drove the car to see if it would learn it self and guess what? It did

Best of luck,
Poorboy
Old 07-02-2009, 04:04 PM

You shouldn't "hate" to chirp in...because that was a really good suggestion.
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Old 07-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Right back at you, thanks for the Init.

Right back at you Q, thanks for the Key Init. sequence. It did not work for me but it may be because I bought an '01 BCM for my '03 X5?

I have given enough money via parts and service many to the Irvine BMW dealer, I feel good about grabbing a hot Java and having them do the dance for free. Will see.

Poorboy
Old 07-03-2009, 03:47 PM

Wink New and Exciting Update on Key intializing

New and Exciting Update on Key intializing!

If you were reading along, you will see that the Key Initializing did not work for me and my car
I took it to the dealer/ majicion and it was done in under the time it took me to get that free moca java.

Here is what he did in case the above key inti. does not work for you;

1. unlock all the doors
2. get in, close the door.
3. put the key in and turn it to the (II) second position, this is the one just before turning the engine over.
3a. hold down the forward unlock (arrow) button, you know the hardest one to get to
3b. Now while holding down on that button, turn the key to off, pull it out of the ignition (are you still holding that button) Good.
4. Now with your 3rd hand (still holding that arrow button down, push the center BMW 3 times.
5. now let go of the forward arrow button and you should see your door locks go to the locked pos. then unlocked again.
6. Now with your other keys, just hold down the forward arrow button, pump the BMW button 3 times and then let go of the arrow button, walla you are worth $85. an hour. Note you just hold the other keysin your hand to inti. them, do not put in the ingition.

Lots of luck,
Poorboy
Old 07-04-2009, 07:38 PM

i finally got it to work =) after all that hard work i kept reprograming it again and again but in the end it was done by sticking in the old key in the door locking the car and then i tried to progr
Old 07-04-2009, 07:41 PM

programing it again and it works great =) i wanna thank qsilver and everyone else from the bottom of my heart for all the help =)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4
Exact same symptoms as Stearman22

My 2003 X5 exhibits the exact same symptoms as Stearman22:

*remote keys only works to open trunk, but not on doors or alarm, although, still can lock/unlock manually, start engine, run car;
*main cabin lights are out;
*center console lock/unlock button not responding.

From this thread, it appears that Stearman22 had the same problem and the solution: replacing the main body electric module (BCM). However, the BMW dealer wants $500 for the BCM and does not allow returns once out of box.

I was hoping to confirm the BCM replacement solution was a durable one before shelling out the $500.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by break80 View Post
My 2003 X5 exhibits the exact same symptoms as Stearman22:

*remote keys only works to open trunk, but not on doors or alarm, although, still can lock/unlock manually, start engine, run car;
*main cabin lights are out;
*center console lock/unlock button not responding.

From this thread, it appears that Stearman22 had the same problem and the solution: replacing the main body electric module (BCM). However, the BMW dealer wants $500 for the BCM and does not allow returns once out of box.

I was hoping to confirm the BCM replacement solution was a durable one before shelling out the $500.

Thanks
I have the same problem on my 03 x5! My Husband and I have been searching the internet trying to find a new/used part at a reasonable price and are having no luck. Where did you guys find the part?? Info would be hugely appreciated! Parts is closed this weekend and we are hitting a brick wall! Thanks so much!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
QSilver7,
DUDE YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER, I have a 2001 X5 3.0i and your version of the key initializing worked for me, saved me a trip to the dealer and $100 so thanks a million, BMW should offer things like this at no charge, they can say it was included in the exorbitant price we charged for the vehicle initially so you get a lifetime of free key programming warning light checks etc....
Oh Well
Old 01-16-2011, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 02 x5 4.4
any news

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjings View Post
I have the same problem on my 03 x5! My Husband and I have been searching the internet trying to find a new/used part at a reasonable price and are having no luck. Where did you guys find the part?? Info would be hugely appreciated! Parts is closed this weekend and we are hitting a brick wall! Thanks so much!
did u find a solution to your prob ? i have same symptoms ..HELP
Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 03 X5
I have the same problem. I checked all the fuses and I followed the steps to re-configure the keys. Did anyone else do anything that got it to work. I think that I may have to get the BCM replaced but I want to be sure before I spend all that money. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzab View Post
I have the same problem. I checked all the fuses and I followed the steps to re-configure the keys. Did anyone else do anything that got it to work. I think that I may have to get the BCM replaced but I want to be sure before I spend all that money. Thanks in advance.
The easiest to find out if your BCM is out is to check the following.

1. Interior dome lights don't work
2. Central locking button on the center console doesn't work.

If none of those work, then your BCM is bad.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: X5
What kind of BCM?

Got the same problem. Thanks for the above solution/discussions. Which BCM should I buy? On Ebay, there are many kinds, such as chassis, theft/locking, airbag, roof, etc
Old 06-17-2012, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by breidite View Post
Got the same problem. Thanks for the above solution/discussions. Which BCM should I buy? On Ebay, there are many kinds, such as chassis, theft/locking, airbag, roof, etc
It looks like a white video cassette, just pull your old one out, it's located behind the glove box, shouldn't take you more than 15 minute to get it out. You can send it to the guy in the link below and have it repaired, he repaired my X5 key fob, works better than new.

http://www.bmwgm5.com/default.htm

Last edited by romeokc10; 06-20-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Thanks.

Update:

Everything works now!!! The dome light, the central lock;

Took the GM3 box off, shipped to Scott at bmwgm5.com last week; Got it back today & put it back tonight; Alarm sounded off once.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks romeokc10 for the tip. Will try to get my hands on that tomorrow. I didn't know that a BCM can be repaired. Will get it off first, check the Part Number or serial number, & make a bet

Last edited by breidite; 07-13-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i Sports Package
2003 X5 GM? strange happenings

I have a BWM x5, the FOBS never controlled the lock or alarms (got it used) the center button did work to control locking from inside(now it does not).

The interior lights DO come on when the door is opened.

The rear deck opens with the INTERIOR button that is separate from the central locking/HAZ button which is dead.

The key used to control the alarm and locking and that does not do it either.

What does not work.

Central Locking / Hazard light button (the hazards do come on though)
The FOBS never controlled the alarm or locking (go it used that way thought it was a fuse)
The door key does not control the locking or alarm anymore either. In fact the key was stuck in there and now goes completely 360 degrees. It controls nothing. I will be fixing that issue with a lock repair kit from ebay.

Contacted Scott and he said since the interior lights come on the module is most likely NOT the problem to check the interior Central lock/Hazard switch?? I just ordered one.

Any ideas, anyone have this happen?

Damn it, I want my 7 series back!!!

SOLD: 1998 740i Hunter Green

"Pain is Temporary, Pride is Forever"
Old 09-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i Sports Package
Update,

Changed the center locking button, no change.

Fixed the broken door lock with the twenty dollar kit on ebay and..

The central locking button NOW works. It controls all the locks as it is suppose to.

The door lock NOW controls the Alarm, central locking, and the special functions like opening and closing all the windows and so on.

HOWEVER both FOBs still do not do anything. I re-initialized them both and still they do not control the locks or alarm.

Could the GM module still be the issue???

SOLD: 1998 740i Hunter Green

"Pain is Temporary, Pride is Forever"
Old 09-28-2014, 01:00 PM

Check all fuses (glovebox & rear cargo area) that have to do with central locking. Make sure that the fuel filler flap locks when you lock the car from outside (with the key manually or remotely)...if it DOES not lock...then you still have an issue with the central locking system that must be fixed.

Also check the DWA red LED status light (the clown nose below the rear view mirror). It should not show any issues with a monitor (see chart below for tell tale signs). Although a different system...the DWA & FZV system share some of the same monitors (door lock actuators)...so if you are getting a fast flash...you have a monitor remaining open...which can cause the remote locking/unlocking to cease.

Also, make sure that you followed the instructions for reinitializing the remote keys EXACTLY as the STEPS call for. You can't fudge, mix, skip, combine, or ignore any of the steps...for example:
  • lock/unlock the system manually with the key in door lock cylinder
  • make sure ALL DOORS are CLOSED
  • make sure ALL DOORS are UNLOCKED
  • only insert the 1st key into the ignition (ignition 2 or 3 or engine running will result in failure to program)
  • program the 2nd and any other remotes on STEP 3 where you start pressing the buttons (as stated in STEP 6)
  • KL R = ignition position 1 (not 2 or 3)

(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-28-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Make sure your keys are fully charged. Check all the fuses that deal with the central locking system, keyless entry system, and anti-theft alarm system.

If your keys are fully charged and all of the fuses are good...have you tried re-initializing your keys? You will need to have ALL of the keys with remote keyless entry ability with you start reprogramming them. Any remote key not there...will no longer lock/unlock your vehicle.

You MUST follow every one of the instructions to a "T". Lock/unlock the vehicle first, get in and close all the doors, etc. When you finish the FIRST key...start the 2nd key (and any other remote keys you have) on STEP 4.

hi i have a 2003 bmw x5 with the diamond shaped key.. i have recently had problems where i am unable to unlock my with out unlocking it manually.. i have tried reinitialising my key by holding the unlock button and pressing the lock button 3 times with no joy. after doing so i was unable to open my boot with a press of the button but my doors will stil not unlock can someone please help me with a solution as how to resolve this problem thank you
Old 12-28-2014, 05:36 AM

you didn't mention any of the steps required before pressing the buttons on the key...so this begs the questions:
  • is your key's battery fully charged?
  • were ALL doors closed?
  • were ALL doors UNLOCKED?
  • did you insert key into ignition & turn to KL R (ignition position 1)?
  • then turned the ignition off & removed key before pressing the key's buttons?
(SOLD)