Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb500 View Post
The other gaskets and seals were fine, but given the fact they needed to be removed to perform the repair it was wise to replace them - as well as the spark plugs.
BMWOEM1 showed me the old valve stem seals...and they were visually finished - even to my untrained eye.
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It's been a month or so ?
Honestly -
How many miles have you driven ?
How much oil are you using ?
Any smoke ?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
I'm in the middle of changing my seals. Interesting that your pic shows your new ones as red rubber. My old ones look just like yours and are rock hard. But my new ones are OEM from the dealer and the rubber is a pale green color. Wonder if they updated the rubber?

Also, I would highly recommend paying $2500 for this job. He seems to have a ton of experience and it really is a big job. My biggest difficulty has been pulling the old seals off.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
Valve stem seals done for $2500!

Do you have a pic of your new seals? What is the part number?

Old 10-11-2013, 06:30 PM

Outta town this wkend but will post pics and p/n when I'm back home!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645 Ci
Valve stem seals done for $2500!

Switz, will you post a DIY?

I'm hoping someone could get detailed with the timing when undoing and setting everything back.

Much appreciated guys. I'll pay for the DIY if I have to.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 AM

bmwoem1 - Here's a pic of my seals. 16 per box and each box came with 4 of the installation protectors. P/N is: 11-34-0-029-751

bzeboymenz - There are already a few DIY's up. Search for ones by Rahulk and Keif on here. You will definity want to buy the TIS manual and follow it to the word. It is step by step and has good pictures for the timing. I bought it off ebay for like $20, but I seen there is a free version online now. Not sure how long it will last. I won't start another DIY, but do plan on posting additions to those existing DIY's. I know your in CA, but trust me that once you are half way through it, you will wish that you paid the $2500 +shipping to NY!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4i
bump!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4i Sport
Update after Valve stem seals replaced

Just wanted to provide an update since the stem seals were replaced a couple months ago. The car now has 95K miles on it as compared to ~88K when the service was done.

The smoke was gone immediately after the service and never returned. I had the oil changed a week or two prior to the service, so I am due for an oil change. BUT, I have not once received the "check engine oil level" message.

I also visually checked the oil level and it is ideal. By comparison, I was adding two quarts of oil to the car every month prior to the stems being replaced.

I'm getting better overall mileage and the car pulls harder. It took about a week for me to see a noticeable improvement in performance.

All is good.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I got someone that will do it for $2200 located in valley stream long island
Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
bmwoem1 - Here's a pic of my seals. 16 per box and each box came with 4 of the installation protectors. P/N is: 11-34-0-029-751

bzeboymenz - There are already a few DIY's up. Search for ones by Rahulk and Keif on here. You will definity want to buy the TIS manual and follow it to the word. It is step by step and has good pictures for the timing. I bought it off ebay for like $20, but I seen there is a free version online now. Not sure how long it will last. I won't start another DIY, but do plan on posting additions to those existing DIY's. I know your in CA, but trust me that once you are half way through it, you will wish that you paid the $2500 +shipping to NY!
Switz - the photo you posted is that of the old style valve seals - the updated seals are red in color and rubber seal (inside) extends to the seat

Bzeboymenz - AGA (All German Auto) will replace all seals with new valve cover gaskets for under $2,000 (price varies depending on model)
Old 11-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Please post a link showing how these are the old ones, or are you just speculating? Not tryin to start anything, just curious. The boxes have a mfg date of 11/20/2012 on them. Take another look at the pic and see that the rubber does go all way down to the seat. The old seals I pulled out had a red color.

Been two weeks and 1000 miles since I put them in and no issues or oil consumption. Couldn't be happier. (Well I could have been if I would have just had bmwoem1 do the job and save me a ton of time!)

Last edited by switz; 11-08-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Please post a link showing how these are the old ones, or are you just speculating? Not tryin to start anything, just curious. The boxes have a mfg date of 11/20/2012 on them. Take another look at the pic and see that the rubber does go all way down to the seat. The old seals I pulled out had a red color.
Been two weeks and 1000 miles since I put them in and no issues or oil consumption. Couldn't be happier. (Well I could have been if I would have just had bmwoem1 do the job and save me a ton of time!)
If the mfg. date on your box is 11/20/12 and if the rubber on the inside extends to the base & hugs the guide (can't tell from the photo) you're probably fine. The part number is the same for the Red & Brown/Black seals (judging from the photo). Maybe it is a manufacturer thing with the color difference? I've watched two different shops in the past 2 weeks change seals on 4 BMWs and they've all been Red seals (Sorry for any concern I may have caused).
Old 11-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
So the design was changed?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
So the design was changed?
I didn't hold a brown/black next to a red valve stem seal. Martin from All German Auto just pointed out the improvements on a red seal while they were showing me the new tool.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
I didn't hold a brown/black next to a red valve stem seal. Martin from All German Auto just pointed out the improvements on a red seal while they were showing me the new tool.
Wow!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Regional Sponsor

I've been getting a lot of questions from people if I'm still doing the valve stem seal jobs, the answer is YES! I've been booked up the last couple months, so PM me if you need the repair done so we can set up an appointment
Old 12-17-2013, 02:43 AM
tech_bimmer

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 E53
bmwoem1 - thanks, I'll keep you in mind. wish I had known sooner - I was in Syracuse just last year when I had issues with my oil separator/valve etc.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Regional Sponsor

I have a couple weekends open next month if anyone is interested.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Regional Sponsor

You guys can PM me or email me at bmwoem1@gmail.com

Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 E60 550i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
Red and blacks are made by Elring this is what Martin has in his video. Oem no change same seals i dont know who makes oem seals but Febi ones same colour as OEM
Old 07-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Regional Sponsor

I have been getting a couple questions about payment.... I can accept credit cards through paypal if needed. I have the next couple weekends available if anyone is interested.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 750li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwoem1 View Post
For those who don't know me.... I'm a BMW master tech located in Long Island, NY who has helped out many forum members here in the past (just do a search and you'll find me). I've been seeing many posts about the common valve stem seal issue with the N62 and N62TU engine. Symptoms include excessive oil consumption and severe smoking from the tail pipe. I'm offering to complete the repair for $2500 total (parts and labor). This includes new valve cover gaskets, new upper timing case cover gaskets and valve stem seals of course. I would need 2 full days to complete the repair, I'm available on weekends (I work at the dealer during the week). Most dealers charge anywhere from $8,000 to $12,000 to have this done, so here's your chance to save a ton of cash! I've had someone drive over 12 hrs to meet me and to have the repair done, it was well worth it for that customer. You guys can post here or PM me. I'm also a forum regional sponsor, so my contact info is located in the section of the forum. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwoem1 View Post
Bump

can you please contact me im here in Elmont new York on the island. my email add. is quasymoto212@yahoo.com
Old 07-23-2014, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 750li
valve stem seals

I live here on the Island and it looks like I am having the same problem. I have a 750li 2006 and I took it to the dealer and they said I have to replace the valve seals and all gaskets connected to the job. my email add. is quasymoto212@yahoo.com
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasymoto212 View Post
I live here on the Island and it looks like I am having the same problem. I have a 750li 2006 and I took it to the dealer and they said I have to replace the valve seals and all gaskets connected to the job. my email add. is quasymoto212@yahoo.com

Please send me a PM or email at bmwoem1@gmail.com so we can set something up, thanks

Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto:
I just bought a 2006 BMW x5 from BMW dealership and they are doing this valve stem seal job before I buy it.

I am not sure if they will use any other type of seal other than BMW OEM, however I want to see if it's possible.

1. Is there an updated seal design by BMW OEM mfg?
2. What is the best aftermarket seal? Elring?
3. What exactly causes this in addition to a faulty design... maybe cheap oil?

I am purchasing my 06' x5 at 149,899 miles with a 18mo/18k extended warranty. Is there anything else I should have them look for except the spark plugs while doing this job? I already asked about the composite timing chain guide rails and they said they are in good condition.

Some prompt responses are greatly appreciated as they are starting the work tomorrow! Thanks!