Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: E90,F25,MazdaB2600 4x4
Cruise Control with braking functionality

Hi All

I have in my X3 (F25) 2011 cruise control with braking functionality. Is there any possibilities to switch off that braking and get rid of that uncomfortable functionality?

No long and steep downhills in Finland.
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by samp49 View Post
Hi All

I have in my X3 (F25) 2011 cruise control with braking functionality. Is there any possibilities to switch off that braking and get rid of that uncomfortable functionality?

No long and steep downhills in Finland.
What do you mean "uncomfortable"? That sounds a little silly. It doesn't suddenly jam on the brakes out of nowhere, it would only brake when engine braking isn't sufficient and the vehicle is speeding up.

No, you can't shut that off. If you dont like it, don't use cruise control.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Have to agree, the system is very well behaved and just enough brake is applied to control the speed to the desired speed. I recently experimented and while it was engaged at 70 mph I quickly knocked the set point down to about 50 in 5 mph increments. I could certainly feel the brakes being applied but it was also not at all dramatic. I think it is a great feature.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x3 xdrive35i
Cruise Control with braking functionality

I doubt you can change it but I've never looked into it because it's one of my favorite features.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 AM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
It's there for a reason.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 AM

There are different opinions about that feature for sure. Typically here in Finland we let the car run freely in our relatively gentle downhills. The worst is there that the system brakes more than needed. Example if it is set to 80km/h in downhills, if the braking starts, the speed is lowered to round 75-77km/h. Think about the drivers driving behind me how irritated they are. There is no braking functionality in my E90 cruise control and it's lot better. It's also good to know that every braking increases energy consumption - which is contrary for example to the aim of stop-and-go feature. Please feel free to like your cruise control with braking.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Clearly you don't get it. I'm thinking you haven't even used the X3 cruise control. It doesn't do this:

Quote:
The worst is there that the system brakes more than needed. Example if it is set to 80km/h in downhills, if the braking starts, the speed is lowered to round 75-77km/h.
PEOPLE do that with their feet, but if you set the system at 80, it will keep you at 80.

Quote:
There is no braking functionality in my E90
Well your e90 is around 1,000 lbs lighter than a big heavy X3, of course the control characteristics are going to be different.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
Clearly you don't get it.
I have to agree. It is certainly not my intention to be disrespectful but you seem intent to argue a problem that does not exist with a properly operating system. The cruise control system raison d'etre is to closely maintain the setpoint speed. The BMW system does this much better than most others and you seem to have a problem with that. That is why the various responders above are not understanding your concern. In fact, I do not have a clue what your concern is other than you want a system that does not control well and this defies normal logic.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n52 + n20 / B8 A4
I am not aware of any other marques that even have a braking function on the cruise control. Any other brand with a car on cruise control running downhill the most it would do is let off the throttle and you would still increase speed.

And BMW has had this function .. at least since my first BMW (E36)

Last edited by poker838; 08-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker838 View Post
I am not aware of any other marques that even have a braking function on the cruise control. Any other brand with a car on cruise control running downhill the most it would do is let off the throttle and you would still increase speed.

And BMW has had this function .. at least since my first BMW (E36)
Pretty sure my CLK had it.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Samp49, I agree with you; I'd like the ability to optionally turn off the braking function while using the speed control. On transition to steep downhill sections it drops the speed 1 to 2 mph slower than the current setting, just as you report, then slowly returns to the current speed setting. On gentle downhill sections I'd like to be able to allow an increase of a few mph above the speed setting without application of the brakes.

I sometimes find myself turning the system off on downhill sections to better conform to the speed of the cars around me and to avoid unnecessary use of the brakes, and resuming the speed setting when back on the level. On the other hand, if I'm really concerned about not exceeding a specific speed (for whatever reason!), the braking function is great to have. And the system controls on the steering wheel and indicators on the speedometer and in the heads-up display are great, so the system is really good overall. Nonetheless, it'd be cool to add a "disable auto braking" push button to the current speed control set. "But officer, I just know I had the speed control fully enabled!"

None of this is likely. The solution is, of course, to not use the speed control when its braking is not desirable.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Coder - you are the first who understood the issue and hit the point - thanks. Seems that no cure for the problem is - or is going to be - available. Thanks for activity to all others.