Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
European delivery F30 owners: warning triangle bracket screw size? Do they remove it

European delivery cars have a warning triangle and a bracket on the trunk lid. The handling agent asks you to remove the warning triangle. This is because BMW will throw it away at the port because the regulations for warning triangles differ in Europe versus the U.S. Some have reported that BMW also removes the bracket and throws it away. If so, people may consider removing the bracket while in Europe.

Another owner who is traveling with his European delivery car reports that the bracket is held by two screws that sound like Torx screws according to his description.

What size Torx screw? T30? T20?

I will not be checking in luggage. There are restrictions about carrying tools that are too long. I have a Torx set that looks like a huge Swiss army knife. That is too big. I also have one T30 Torx screwdriver which is ok to bring aboard. It would be nice if someone checked to see what size Torx screw the bracket uses.
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 328i
I kept my warning triangle and it made the trip back home with me in my luggage. The brackets were not removed in transit and were still there at redelivery at my dealership. Don't know if I was lucky or if this is normal procedure.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Bring along a pad of sticky notes. Affix one that reads "PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE" to each bracket. (Bring a roll of tape also, if you would rather not impose on the LogInOut agent.) They will still be there when you pick up the car.

FYI, questions specific to ED, such as this one, are best posted in the European Delivery forum. Hundreds of us have gone through the process; you will get almost that many helpful and creative tips in response to most any question about the process that crosses your mind.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 05-01-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post

FYI, questions specific to ED, such as this one, are best posted in the European Delivery forum. Hundreds of us have gone through the process; you will get almost that many helpful and creative tips in response to most any question about the process that crosses your mind.
Good suggestion! Looking at the ED calender, I was afraid that most people doing ED were "them rich people" buying M5's and other cars, which might have a different bracket than the 3 series.

Reports are varied. Not everyone had their bracket removed. However, if it is, it could be hard to find a replacement part.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
Good suggestion! Looking at the ED calender, I was afraid that most people doing ED were "them rich people" buying M5's and other cars, which might have a different bracket than the 3 series.

Reports are varied. Not everyone had their bracket removed. However, if it is, it could be hard to find a replacement part.
I didn't take the chance of them removing the brackets so I removed them with the Phillips head screw driver from the tool kit. You have to press very hard with the screw driver but with a little patience the screws come out and the head will except the torx tool when you reinstall. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
I didn't take the chance of them removing the brackets so I removed them with the Phillips head screw driver from the tool kit. You have to press very hard with the screw driver but with a little patience the screws come out and the head will except the torx tool when you reinstall. Good luck
cheers
vern
This is good advice. If you take a chance and leave it, it may be removed.

I looked up the TSA (US government airport security) and Bundesministerium für Verkehr, Bau und Stadtentwicklung (German Federal Ministry of Transport, Building and Urban Affairs)

http://www.bmvbs.de/SharedDocs/EN/Ar...-articles.html

The German regulations are the most restrictive. No screwdrivers. The TSA permits screwdrivers if not more than a specific size.

Disclaimer: this information is very basic to the mechanic but some readers don't have any experience with tools.
The solution is either checked luggage or these Harbor Freight bits. These bits attach to either a socket wrench or socket wrench and extension. This is what I might buy for $8.99 - 20% coupon + free flashlight + sales tax. Sears has it for $9.99 but on sale for $8.49.

Torx for socket wrench: http://www.harborfreight.com/38-driv...set-67886.html
Socket wrench (length 6 7/8"): http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-i...11000P?prdNo=2
Extension for socket wrench: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-pc-..._tnt=39869:4:0

Not permitted by Germany: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-no-30..._tnt=39869:4:0

Summary:
Torx screwdriver: USA: ok (if less than 7" in length), Germany: NO
Torx bit for socket wrench: USA and Germany (seems to be ok)
Short extension for socket wrench: USA and Germany (seems to be ok)
socket wrentch: USA (ok if less than 7" in length), Germany (seems to be ok)

Last edited by Dave 20T; 05-01-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
Bumping to hopefully get an answer to OPs question about what size of torx.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Before, I just had a tool similar to a Swiss army knife that had several Torx sizes as well as one T-30 screwdriver. I wanted some better tools so this was the opportunity. I found some Torx bits for a socket wrench. I have a socket wrench smaller than the 7" maximum size permitted by the TSA (US). Screwdrivers of any size are banned by German authorities.

I will be bringing over some common Torx sizes, like a T20, T25, T30, T40. I doubt they use a tiny T15 or a big T50. Four bits and a socket wrench is light. Other things I bring are light, such as two paper floor mats and tire pressure gauge. An empty gallon jug is also light but big. However, that gets thrown away when returning the car. A microfiber towel was recommended by some but I might bring an old towel and throw it away. If there is lint, it will be blown away eventually.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukja View Post
I kept my warning triangle and it made the trip back home with me in my luggage. The brackets were not removed in transit and were still there at redelivery at my dealership. Don't know if I was lucky or if this is normal procedure.
FWIW. I did the same and bracket was still there at final dealership delivery.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
bumping to hopefully get an answer to ops question about what size of torx.
t-20
Old 06-15-2013, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchattod View Post
FWIW. I did the same and bracket was still there at final dealership delivery.
Same here.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages