Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5
New To The Forum - Need Help With AC

Greetings gents,

Trying to get the AC up and running on my 2002 BMW X5, 3.0

I have only owned the truck for a couple of months but have already replaced the battery, replaced the valve cover gasket and repaired a number of smaller items on the truck. The AC didn't work when I got it but the Vegas heat is coming fast and I need to figure out what the issue is.

I originally replaced the two Schrader valves on the truck as the highside one had a major leak. I let it vent out and them replaced them both. Took about 5 minutes each and with less than 5% humidity in Vegas, I felt I was good. Took the truck to a friend who has proper gauges and he pulled 25hg of vacuum and it held no problem so I assume no leaks.

Since I am a brand new owner and learning about this truck, I didn't realize a few things and I am hoping you can help me sort it out.
1) There is R134a in the system right now - not much as the system does not kick in
2) The aux fan does not turn on at all
3) The AC compressor does not attempt to engage at all
4) My blower in the cabin works perfectly
5) My air temperature indicator also works perfectly.
6) I have checked all fuses relating to the AC and they are all good.

The system never tried to kick in since I bought the truck so I assume I am back to where I started but with properly sealed Schrader valves at least.

Here are my questions:
1) Is there a way to test the aux fan externally to see if it operates? I would rather know before dropping hundreds of dollars on a replacement.
2) Can I apply 12v to the lead of the compressor to see if the clutch is operating? I want to make certain I do not risk damaging anything do to the computer controlled nature of the system.

I figure between those two tests, I can narrow down where my issue lies. I hear the aux fan is most common but I want to be certain.

Great to be part of your forum,
Look forward to helping others as I learn more about the truck.

Bernie
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sedan
Re: New To The Forum - Need Help With AC

Locate the low pressure switch and jump the switch. Jumping the switch sjould engage the clutch on the compressor. You may just be low on refrigerant and need to top it off.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5
If there is little refrigerant the compressor will not pump. It has a low pressure switch to prevent the compressor from burning out from low levels of refrig
Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring20 View Post
If there is little refrigerant the compressor will not pump. It has a low pressure switch to prevent the compressor from burning out from low levels of refrig
Hey guys,

Problem is identified.
Took it to a shop today and hooked it to diagnostic. Turns out it is indeed the aux fan not functioning. R134a is set to factory and I just need to replace the fan. Compressor checked out good.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5
Good. Problem solved
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmler View Post
Greetings gents,

Trying to get the AC up and running on my 2002 BMW X5, 3.0

I have only owned the truck for a couple of months but have already replaced the battery, replaced the valve cover gasket and repaired a number of smaller items on the truck. The AC didn't work when I got it but the Vegas heat is coming fast and I need to figure out what the issue is.

I originally replaced the two Schrader valves on the truck as the highside one had a major leak. I let it vent out and them replaced them both. Took about 5 minutes each and with less than 5% humidity in Vegas, I felt I was good. Took the truck to a friend who has proper gauges and he pulled 25hg of vacuum and it held no problem so I assume no leaks.

Since I am a brand new owner and learning about this truck, I didn't realize a few things and I am hoping you can help me sort it out.
1) There is R134a in the system right now - not much as the system does not kick in
2) The aux fan does not turn on at all
3) The AC compressor does not attempt to engage at all
4) My blower in the cabin works perfectly
5) My air temperature indicator also works perfectly.
6) I have checked all fuses relating to the AC and they are all good.

The system never tried to kick in since I bought the truck so I assume I am back to where I started but with properly sealed Schrader valves at least.

Here are my questions:
1) Is there a way to test the aux fan externally to see if it operates? I would rather know before dropping hundreds of dollars on a replacement.
2) Can I apply 12v to the lead of the compressor to see if the clutch is operating? I want to make certain I do not risk damaging anything do to the computer controlled nature of the system.

I figure between those two tests, I can narrow down where my issue lies. I hear the aux fan is most common but I want to be certain.

Great to be part of your forum,
Look forward to helping others as I learn more about the truck.

Bernie
First off if you don't have the proper equipment to recover the refrigerant, you should not be venting refrigerant into the atmosphere. Not only does it destroy our environment, but it is also against the law. You should bring it to a shop and have them recover the refrigerant.