Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Thank Goodness for BMW Brakes - aka Dodged a Bullet

One would think that a 5.5 mile commute on only surface streets - no freeway driving wouldn't hold much peril. I had that attitude until this morning. This one is a bit visual, so please bear with the maps and pics.

Here in Houston, we have what are commonly known as "Texas Turnarounds". They are sweeping U-turns at major intersections of the Interstate so that traffic can efficiently get to the opposite side of the freeway without multiple left hand turn lights. The frontage roads are one way, and these turnarounds are also one way. See map below.

This morning on my way to work, as I approached my turnaround, a quick shift from 4th to third slowed me for the approach to the curve. I made my usual downshift from 3rd to 2nd just as I started into the curve, except today this (with a little photoshop magic) is what I encountered.

That's right. Lurking in the shadows was a gray VW (no headlights on) facing me.
WHOA! Jump on the brakes! Figure out if he's moving, then moved to his right and got around him, with the thought, "How in the heck did he manage to get down a one way shoot the wrong way as far as he did? And oh, thank goodness I wasn't completely going for the aural under the freeway this morning." So other than being very thankful that I am not a distracted driver (no cellphone usage while behind the wheel), and I will never again fuss about BMW brake dust, I truly wonder:

Had I hit him, who would be at fault?

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Happy ending to a terrifying story.
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Absolutely.

It's probably a good thing I didn't have that extra cup of coffee before leaving for work this morning!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
Thumbs up

You definitely need a pat on your back. That was the Allstate mayhem guy, lurking in the turnabout.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post

There. Proof positive - that wind deflector sticker is for VAG trade up beings.

Guilt? Neither - not your fault as you were doing everything right - not VW driver's fault by reason of diminished capacity, a generally accepted condition of ownership.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Billy Rose III

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i

Obviously his fault... Going the wrong way on a one way.... Good observation on your part

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
its always good to be a defensive driver! and in the end whos fault it would have been matters less than the aggravation and car damage you go thru to get it fixed when you get your car torn up and the injury you could have had to your self

thank god you were paying attention, bet he or she( this is not a gender specific issue) was the one on the phone talking not paying attention
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
[snippy, snippy]

That's right. Lurking in the shadows was a gray VW (no headlights on) facing me.
WHOA! Jump on the brakes! Figure out if he's moving, then moved to his right and got around him, with the thought, "How in the heck did he manage to get down a one way shoot the wrong way as far as he did? And oh, thank goodness I wasn't completely going for the aural under the freeway this morning." So other than being very thankful that I am not a distracted driver (no cellphone usage while behind the wheel), and I will never again fuss about BMW brake dust, I truly wonder:

Yes, thank goodness!
(Glad the outcome was only a stress test passing grade.)
Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Official 'Fest GIF Guy

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 335i
I had a similar scare the day of my ceramic brake and D/S rotor install. All was well as I was driving in the fast lane on the I-15N and so everyone knows I was not "speeding" I was going with the flow of traffic. Anyways, I was about 100 feet behind some sort of minivan (probably a Dodge) and jackass/jackasset waits until the last second to jam on his/her brakes requiring me to jam on mine and swerve left onto the shoulder. The SUV behind me slammed on his brakes and managed to avoid me, kudos to him. Anyways, my gorgeous girl stopped like a champ, but if I had not been paying attention (texting while driving) Mr./Ms. Dodge driver would've had 3400lbs of 335i shoved straight up his/her rear end, to which then I would have crawled out of my crumpled beauty, walked over to the driver of the van and .

"When you can't run, you crawl... and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."

|100,000mile Club (E92)2008 335i SGM "Io"- Cobb Tuned |6AT|Premium|Sport|
|AE Performance CBE|AR Design DPs|CF GTR Vented Hood|Cobb AP V2|SP Lowering Perches (F)|M3 FCAs|VRSF 5" FMIC|
|BMS DCI|Niche Targa M129 18x8/18x9.5|BMS Spacers 10mm/15mm|BP Drilled/Slotted Rotors|BP Ceramic Pads|
|Forge DVs|CP-e Upper CP|VRSF Lower CP|BMS Cowl Delete|MR Front Strut Bar|BMS OCC|Custom CA License Plate|
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
I hope this doesn't this mean you aren't getting the PE in fear of wanting to punch it under every underpass but unable to do so now because of PTSDVW (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder due to a VW)? Counselors provided by BMW are standing by now to assist you in your time of need. Call 1-800-BMWPENOW.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post
I hope this doesn't this mean you aren't getting the PE in fear of wanting to punch it under every underpass but unable to do so now because of PTSDVW (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder due to a VW)? Counselors provided by BMW are standing by now to assist you in your time of need. Call 1-800-BMWPENOW.
Nope. You ruined me for good. As is was VW-dude got an earful as I hightailed it in first gear after I got around him.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 05-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
This does remind me of a story of near injury also. I am proceeding along in a turnaround of the type described by Kat and I am waiting on the far side to merge with the traffic when a car runs a red light going easily 45-50 MPH and clips a car just enough to send the speeding red light runner careening towards me. It barely misses the front of my car and I think: Whew, that was close! Except the car's momentum carries it up the slope of the side of the freeway overpass whereupon, gravity being what it is, it then begins to come back down the slope and, amazingly enough, just barely misses me on the way back down. Was absolutely nothing I could do except sit there and watch this unfold. My wife and daughter were with me, making it extra scary.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Official 'Fest GIF Guy

Re: Thank Goodness for BMW Brakes - aka Dodged a Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post
"wife and daughter were with me, making it extra scary.
Had a red light runner scare as well, just barely missed me. If the girl and her boy weren't with me, I would have chased him down and given him a piece of my shoe to keep permanently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1367531893286.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	374442

Sent using BimmerApp mobile app

"When you can't run, you crawl... and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."

|AE Performance CBE|AR Design DPs|CF GTR Vented Hood|Cobb AP V2|SP Lowering Perches (F)|M3 FCAs|VRSF 5" FMIC|
|BMS DCI|Niche Targa M129 18x8/18x9.5|BMS Spacers 10mm/15mm|BP Drilled/Slotted Rotors|BP Ceramic Pads|
|Forge DVs|CP-e Upper CP|VRSF Lower CP|BMS Cowl Delete|MR Front Strut Bar|BMS OCC|Custom CA License Plate|
Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335IoTwnTrbos View Post
I had a similar scare the day of my ceramic brake and D/S rotor install. All was well as I was driving in the fast lane on the I-15N and so everyone knows I was not "speeding" I was going with the flow of traffic. Anyways, I was about 100 feet behind some sort of minivan (probably a Dodge) and jackass/jackasset waits until the last second to jam on his/her brakes requiring me to jam on mine and swerve left onto the shoulder. The SUV behind me slammed on his brakes and managed to avoid me, kudos to him. Anyways, my gorgeous girl stopped like a champ, but if I had not been paying attention (texting while driving) Mr./Ms. Dodge driver would've had 3400lbs of 335i shoved straight up his/her rear end, to which then I would have crawled out of my crumpled beauty, walked over to the driver of the van and .
Yea well thats why you dont tail gate people, And on the interstate in traffic like that I always watch the Brake lamps of the guy about 3 cars up
Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Had a red light runner scare as well, just barely missed me. If the girl and her boy weren't with me, I would have chased him down and given him a piece of my shoe to keep permanently.

Attachment 374442

Sent using BimmerApp mobile app
And another suggestion, when at a Red light in town, the light turns green, count to 3 and then go, but always look left, avoided about 3 wrecks with that one, now thats when you are the first in line at the light

Last edited by hondo402000; 05-02-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: needed to complete thought
Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
A positive ending, thank goodness!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Yes, thank goodness!
(Glad the outcome was only a stress test passing grade.)
Stress test, continence test..... passing grades, not necessarily with flying colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
A positive ending, thank goodness!
Absolutely! The thought of another AVEO experience was almost too much to bear.

To be fair, judging from the expression of the driver of the VW as I passed him, he kind of had a deer in the headlights look. I can just imagine what my LED Angel Eyes looked like to him as I rounded the corner into the dark.

Because of how difficult it would be to enter one of these turn arounds from the wrong direction, especially this particular one as there are no parking lots that would lend themselves to that maneuver; and to do it from the opposite direction would literally mean a jack-knifed type (nearly 180 turn), my best guess is that he thought he was going to circumvent the traffic that was stacked up in the left hand turn lane. When he discovered he was in the U-turn of the frontage road, rather than following through and doing a mile lap around the interstate, he decided to "fix" his error and proceeded to execute a 3 point turn in the dark. He was probably congratulating himself on successfully getting pointed nearly back in the direction he wanted to be when I showed up.

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 05-02-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Stress test, continence test..... passing grades, not necessarily with flying colors.

I'm glad all of your responses--voluntary and involuntary--were up to the task!

Quote:
When he discovered he was in the U-turn of the frontage road, rather than following through and doing a mile lap around the interstate, he decided to "fix" his error and proceeded to execute a 3 point turn in the dark. He was probably congratulating himself on successfully getting pointed nearly back in the direction he wanted to be when I showed up.
Assuming your analysis is correct, this is the sort of behavior that makes me think, "there's never a beat-up '74 Impala around when you need one"...to gently T-bone and educate the offender.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:

Wouldn't the car have stopped before hitting the minivan? Pretty sure the BMW brakes can stop your car faster and better than the equivalent in a van. So since you are relatively decelerating faster than he is you only have to worry about the guy behind you?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
My E46 M3 brakes also saved me at one time...a matter of inches for a car that ran a red light. Of course the good thing about our BMW brakes is that they can get us out of a potential problem. Let's just hope the car behind us is also a BMW!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 05-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Official 'Fest GIF Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultr View Post
Wouldn't the car have stopped before hitting the minivan? Pretty sure the BMW brakes can stop your car faster and better than the equivalent in a van. So since you are relatively decelerating faster than he is you only have to worry about the guy behind you?
I was definitely worried about everything, the whole situation. We were all going pretty fast and like I said he/she decided at the last minute.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Official 'Fest GIF Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
And another suggestion, when at a Red light in town, the light turns green, count to 3 and then go, but always look left, avoided about 3 wrecks with that one, now thats when you are the first in line at the light
Thanks for the advice Hondo, but I'm comfortable with my driving style. I've only been in one accident the 8 years I've been driving and that was cause some idiot hit me in a parking lot. I usually look both ways after a red light, ALWAYS use my blinker, I don't follow to close, and I always, ALWAYS use my mirrors.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011, 328i Convertible

Glad you're okay. Those moments can be scary.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
Thanks for the advice Hondo, but I'm comfortable with my driving style. I've only been in one accident the 8 years I've been driving and that was cause some idiot hit me in a parking lot. I usually look both ways after a red light, ALWAYS use my blinker, I don't follow to close, and I always, ALWAYS use my mirrors.
We have all had close calls and accidents do happen. I am sure you realize that if you would have hit the van it is 100% your fault no matter what the reason for the sudden stopping of the van? I think this is true of most states, and it's certainly true in this area. The person in the van could have a medical emergency, or more likely is just an idiot. You are supposed to be following at a distance where you can always stop before hitting the vehicle in front of you no matter what the speed. Often not easy to do since plenty of people like to squeeze into any opening they can.

I am pretty sure the only time (in NY) that it is your fault when getting rear ended is if you are making a right turn on red. Makes sense since you could have waited for the green light.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Vert
Well, just another good reason why I don't live in Houston anymore. Was thinking about running down there next weekend and giving the 335i a good road trip and putting the top down in Galveston. Maybe I will just take the RAV.

A good "near miss" story for the safety share. Glad Kat's car is still the same, minus a bit of brake dust.

I did love blasting up and down those roads in various 3 series when I lived there, though....

2013 335i - ED September 2012