Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Billy Rose III

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
Parking Stall Curbs!!!

When I first bought my 06 330i, the front bumper was thrashed from the previous owners not going into dips correctly, so as part of my purchase agreement, they refurbished the entire bumper. Pulling into the gym parking lot today, I carelessly pulled into a spot(nose in) with a stall curb, they usually don't have them, and heard the noise you hate hear on your front end....

Backed out knowin what I had done, an heard the sound but 10x worse. No scratching but the material was pulled from one of the securing bolts.

LESSON LEARNED: Careful where & how you park!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i E92
Oh those things are a curse and they come in all different shapes and sizes….and the parking sensors do not pick them up.
Backing in is the best policy.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie06330i View Post
When I first bought my 06 330i, the front bumper was thrashed from the previous owners not going into dips correctly, so as part of my purchase agreement, they refurbished the entire bumper. Pulling into the gym parking lot today, I carelessly pulled into a spot(nose in) with a stall curb, they usually don't have them, and heard the noise you hate hear on your front end....

Backed out knowin what I had done, an heard the sound but 10x worse. No scratching but the material was pulled from one of the securing bolts.

The future is here.

Complete radar system w/send & receive antenna + digital output on one chip was recently announced in Europe. Cost: $1 in large quantities.

I do wonder about resolution and range, but hey....it works! So what's Waterboy prattling on about? RADAR IMAGING

Such a thing can define the terrain your front end approaches rather precisely, enabling park distance control like you never imagined. And here's where AI and driverless vehicles begin to make a great deal of sense, no external sensors or beacons needed other'n GPS.

Yup, here now. No doubt in R&D.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
My car has the same injury from the little bit of rebar sticking up out of the top of the parking block. I plan on getting a friend's heat gun and trying to reshape it so it's at least invisible.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
I suffered that ignominy pulling up to a Redbox... Unseen by me, they had placed a parking block only directly in front of the Redbox machine (no other spaces) AND they placed it about 2 feet from the actual curb (i guess the point was to keep people from blocking acess to the front of the machine, as the sidewalk it was sitting on was not much wider than the machine itself)... Needless to say, i was livid, but no one to yell at but myself...
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Happened to me the night I went in to sell my car...Years of driving no issue, and it happened as pulling into lot. I really hate those high curbs. Why can't they make them lower (saves material on production and weight on shipping

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I "brown dogged" my 325i's lower front fascia on a freakishly tall parking block in the parking lot where I work. They had replaced this one block for some damn reason and it was a good four inches taller than all of the other blocks in that row.

I doubt most people notice, but I cringe every time I see the front of my car.

The SCRUNCH noise was excruciating. I knew what I had done before I even got out of the car.

Last edited by BashedBarrique; 05-03-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: ED 330i
I have complained about this many times. BMW makes spoilers too low for US market particularly urban areas with parking blocks, etc. BMW does not care, German designer is more concerned with form than substance. Same goes for cupholders.

In the meantime it serves to enrich the body shops.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Went to see Iron Man 3 on Sunday night, Cinco de Mayo...(not a good timing choice btw). Anyway, I saw three cars parked, one an Infinty, one a BMW 7 Series, and one a Mercededs Benz E350 and all 3 had park/"scraped" over the sidewalk/parking bumper with maybe a millimeter to spare if they were lucky. One of the fellows was hammering his wife after coming out of the the movie for doing it and she was saying, "it wasn't me baby, it wasn't me...". "But you ARE the one who pulled into this spot were you not? I wasn't driving when we got here?!?!", he said. "No baby, it wasn't me baby..."., she said. "I would never do that." He then quietly opened his door and got in his car and "dragged, scraped!" the front underside of the car very hard while slowly backing out, accompanied by a downward "Snnn-aA-PP!!!" to the front bumper underside, followed by a swift sounding "Crr-RACK!!!". I saw the bottom middle split in two with a nice straight chasm up the middle going behind the Mercedes Benz Emblem License Plate to the top of the bumper. "Oh MY F'ING GOD I thought!!!" He's gonna KILL her in front of me right here!!! Well, that didn't happen but I saw him drive away with a look of utter disgust we have all felt at one time or another and and tuck his tail.
I then looked at my wife and said, "you aren't so bad of lovely little creature sweetheart". Thank you for not wanting to drive Daddy's car all the time because you are afraid to do just that! You are smarter than I gave you credit for I love you sooo much baby! XX OO XX OO's. What does your little heart desire tonight. Daddy will take care of it. Smooch, smooch. Then we drove off unscathed...and to the local nicest restaurant for steak and lobster by the beach. Of course she can make mistakes and it happens but you all know those moments are truly avoidable in certain situations. I felt I was watching myself at another time, at an earlier time, but have learned from my mistakes but still keep the peace. Thoughts?

Last edited by sptt144; 05-08-2013 at 12:35 AM.