Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4M 08
Just traded 08 Z4M for 11 Z435is impressions

I loved some things about the M and hated some things.
I loved the standard/looks/handling.
I hated first gear, it was useless=very short. I had driven the Cayman S and you could really push/stretch first gear. The gear ratio in the M was not good in my opinion. It was like driving a dump truck in first gear. The M suspension was so low, I had to be extremely careful going over any raised surface. Even doing this I hit bottom many times.
My initial impression of the Z is that it is much faster and quicker. The M was linear the Z explodes.
I also have a modified 02 Audi S4 with twin turbos and I donít feel any turbo lag like in the S4.
Saw comments on this forum re new Z being a chick car.
IMHO previous M was more masculine looking but new Z4 is a nice looking car but donít think it is necessarily feminine.
Saw many reviews on new Z and most raved about the looks.
Many reviews hated the previous looks of the Z4, I donít agree but consensus seems to be that this car is much better looking.
I miss the standard and more engagement in driving experience but I wonít miss it when in bumper to bumper traffic and I wonít miss first gear.
The other negative about the DCT=now my wife can drive it.
Ads by Google
Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
So the Z4M was even lower than the new one? I didn't know you could get a car much lower unless it was really slammed down with changes to the suspension. I scuff my bumper on quite a few things already. You mentioned the new car seemed quicker; what are the actual numbers on each one on horsepower and torque?

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
To me the biggest difference between the new Z4 and the older versions is weight. I love the convertible hardtop, but the added weight compared to my previous ragtop makes a big difference. Even though my current Z has more HP (34?), my older Z4 3.0 si seemed to be more nimble and have the same or more pep. I really liked the look of the old Z as well as the new one. To biggest improvement in looks was the hood. The old Z4 hood was very plain. The new Z4 hood with the power lines looks a thousand times better. The main dislike (albeit small with the new Z - I hate the extended name / badge. Z4 sdrive35i - what the heck do we need sdrive in the name for?

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
I debadged mine within about 2 days of buying it. I really hate seeing all that stuff written on the side and back. Besides, I like the symmetrical look of no badge on the rear too.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.