Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
iDrive knob

Hi
When I try to move the idrive know to jump through subsequent tracks on my list - it only moves freely till i reach the end of the tracks thats shown on the display.
Say my display shows 8 tracks out of the 30 tracks on my CD, now when i move to the 8th - there is no problem, but jumping to the ninth or 12th track is where the idrive knos is kinda stuck but when i force rotate - it bounces back with every click. this is how i am able to change track.
I read some one mentioned about resetting idrive by holding mp3 and dvd eject buttons and pushing mute on the volume controller button - will this help me out?
thanks
sk
Ads by Google
Old 05-02-2013, 05:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalra View Post
I read some one mentioned about resetting idrive by holding mp3 and dvd eject buttons and pushing mute on the volume controller button - will this help me out?

You can quickly determine whether this will help with this one weird trick:
Try It
Post result!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:19 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
The haptic feedback of the early iDrive knobs is a "feature". Resetting the system will make no difference...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM

Thanks john
haptic feedback was the term that i was probably looking for.
the only issue that i have right now is that when i play the CD and i reach the end of the display on the screen - but not of my play list - i have to force my way through that haptic feedback to navigate through the subsequent tracks.
is this normal? or am i having an issue with my idrive?
thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Completely normal and inexplicably bad design by BMW. I'm used to it after 6+ years with the car but I believe it was fixed in later model years.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 AM

iDrive knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Completely normal and inexplicably bad design by BMW. I'm used to it after 6+ years with the car but I believe it was fixed in later model years.
That sounds like a big relief
I now use the haptic feedback considering it to be normal

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
I'm used to it after 6+ years with the car but I believe it was fixed in later model years.
"Fixed" ... not really: It was deleted to improve performance. Haptic feedback was intended to help one navigate the menus without taking one's eyes off the road (as much), by resisting further motion when the cursor had reached the end of the visible choices. Unfortunately the processing power it required had an adverse effect on the response of the system as a whole. Elimination of haptic feedback was one reason the 4th-generation iDrive was noticeably faster than its predecessor.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 05-06-2013, 06:43 AM

iDrive knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
"Fixed" ... not really: It was deleted to improve performance. Haptic feedback was intended to help one navigate the menus without taking one's eyes off the road (as much), by resisting further motion when the cursor had reached the end of the visible choices. Unfortunately the processing power it required had an adverse effect on the response of the system as a whole. Elimination of haptic feedback was one reason the 4th-generation iDrive was noticeably faster than its predecessor.
Apparently my idrive knob resists scrolling down even if there are more tracks in the list
I have to use a little force to make it roll down
This is not what I face while using te scrolling for addresses or streets

Its Only on CD tracks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalra View Post
Apparently my idrive knob resists scrolling down even if there are more tracks in the list
I have to use a little force to make it roll down
This is not what I face while using te scrolling for addresses or streets

Its Only on CD tracks
I am not familiar with the exact details of how it behaved on all screens, sorry. I only recall a technical write-up or two that discussed why it was eliminated.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA