Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 AM
dlocklear dlocklear is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan
Upgrade to M3 or make mods to 335i

Have a 2007 335i saloon, auto trans. Wondering if I should invest in modifications to this current machine or just wait and invest in a M3.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:06 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlocklear View Post
Have a 2007 335i saloon, auto trans. Wondering if I should invest in modifications to this current machine or just wait and invest in a M3.

You have a good base for mods - really depends on which motor you want.

If you mod, parts will be un-worn vs used M3. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 AM
dlocklear dlocklear is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan
Calwaterboy, those where my thoughts as well, with the money to trade up to M3, if invested that amount in bits for the 335i would basically be in the same territory or is that wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 AM
CT's Avatar
CT CT is online now
GODSPD
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,247
Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlocklear View Post
Calwaterboy, those where my thoughts as well, with the money to trade up to M3, if invested that amount in bits for the 335i would basically be in the same territory or is that wishful thinking.
It would definitely be in the same territory, though the M3 has a few [fantastic] nuances that you'll never really experience with the N54.
__________________

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust


WHEELS FOR SALE
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 AM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is online now
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,938
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
You can tweak the 335 to get close to an M3 (you can't realistically get exactly or better on all aspects) or you can just get an M3 and not worry about the tweaks or get the M3 and tweak it. I would go for the M3
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,116
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
It would definitely be in the same territory, though the M3 has a few [fantastic] nuances that you'll never really experience with the N54.
Agree. Not to mention once you save up a second time around you can mod the m3

I'd go m3 if I had the choice... I've spent a ton on the 335i and still would need to do about 20-30k to really be satisfied. M3 I could have spent 4k on brakes and 14k on an ess SC and been done.'

2-3k though on a 335i and you'll be smiling all day so keep that in mind its just when you start getting into Big brakes, wheels, exhausts, oil coolers, exc. that it becomes an issue.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 05-02-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 PM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,384
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
It would definitely be in the same territory, though the M3 has a few [fantastic] nuances that you'll never really experience with the N54.
Like no torque down low?
Totally different cars. To turn a 335 into an M3 would cost a lot more than the M3 originally did. You can approach the straight line performance of an M3 by modifying the engine and chipping a 335, but to attain the trackability level of an M3 would be a very expensive unternehmen indeed.
Anecdotal Evidence: I often go to the track with ///M-rated, who of course is driving his M3. I'm in a chipped 335 E92. His lap times are faster than mine even though my mad driving skilz far exceed his. It has to be the car, right?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,116
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Like no torque down low?
Totally different cars. To turn a 335 into an M3 would cost a lot more than the M3 originally did. You can approach the straight line performance of an M3 by modifying the engine and chipping a 335, but to attain the trackability level of an M3 would be a very expensive unternehmen indeed.
Anecdotal Evidence: I often go to the track with ///M-rated, who of course is driving his M3. I'm in a chipped 335 E92. His lap times are faster than mine even though my mad driving skilz far exceed his. It has to be the car, right?
I just think now looking at where I need to go to get my 335i where I want it, it would have been less expensive spending more on an m3... Honestly if I just wanted to rack up hp I'd get a gt-r and never lose
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM
CT's Avatar
CT CT is online now
GODSPD
Location: Savannah, GA
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,247
Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Like no torque down low?
The only time I'm at low RPM is in first gear
__________________

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust


WHEELS FOR SALE
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 AM
chris328's Avatar
chris328 chris328 is offline
unbekannt
Location: Hell
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
he's referring to a real M3 though
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Agree. Not to mention once you save up a second time around you can mod the m3

I'd go m3 if I had the choice... I've spent a ton on the 335i and still would need to do about 20-30k to really be satisfied. M3 I could have spent 4k on brakes and 14k on an ess SC and been done.'

2-3k though on a 335i and you'll be smiling all day
so keep that in mind its just when you start getting into Big brakes, wheels, exhausts, oil coolers, exc. that it becomes an issue.
Make that $7k and up.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Like no torque down low?
Totally different cars. To turn a 335 into an M3 would cost a lot more than the M3 originally did. You can approach the straight line performance of an M3 by modifying the engine and chipping a 335, but to attain the trackability level of an M3 would be a very expensive unternehmen indeed.
Anecdotal Evidence: I often go to the track with ///M-rated, who of course is driving his M3. I'm in a chipped 335 E92. His lap times are faster than mine even though my mad driving skilz far exceed his. It has to be the car, right?

Got-um LSD?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-04-2013, 05:09 AM
3ismagic#'s Avatar
3ismagic# 3ismagic# is online now
HerrDoktorProfessor
Location: land of milk and honey
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,982
Mein Auto: '11 335d
M3 or bust.
Why spend a bunch of money on a 6 year old car. Better to save that money for the inevitable walnut blasting and injector replacement.
__________________

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,116
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Make that $7k and up.
How So?

JB4 $500
BMS downpipes $579.00
DCI 100
Meth Tank up $30.00
Meth $429.00
FMIC $839.00

and thats with no shopping around/ holiday discounts

So maybe that range starts to look close if you do suspension but if you just want quick cheap power 2.5k gets it done pretty easy.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2013, 09:27 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
How So?

JB4 $500
BMS downpipes $579.00
DCI 100
Meth Tank up $30.00
Meth $429.00
FMIC $839.00

and thats with no shopping around/ holiday discounts

So maybe that range starts to look close if you do suspension but if you just want quick cheap power 2.5k gets it done pretty easy.

Can't go 'round no corner.

Hop skip 'n' jump performance.

Ducky, however, if can stick to the thrust angle line.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-05-2013, 12:04 AM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,384
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
The only time I'm at low RPM is in first gear
Wouldn't want to pay your fuel bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Got-um LSD?
Lysergic acid diethylamide? That's so sixties. Glenmorangie current drug of choice.
Limited Slip Differential? That's so sixties. Electronic torque limiting is where it's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
M3 or bust.
Why spend a bunch of money on a 6 year old car. Better to save that money for the inevitable walnut blasting and injector replacement.
Ouch. Diesel owners. It's like they're all trying to make up for some shortcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Can't go 'round no corner.

Hop skip 'n' jump performance.

Ducky, however, if can stick to the thrust angle line.
Cal, let me be the first to give you the update. E9X is now all about stop light to stop light performance. Notice lack of phrases like slip angle, chassis loading, uphill left handers, brake fade etc. in that statement.
When you finally sell your car, the first thing the new owner is going to do is put some blue fluorescent lights under the rocker panels. The times they are a'changing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Cal, let me be the first to give you the update. E9X is now all about stop light to stop light performance. Notice lack of phrases like slip angle, chassis loading, uphill left handers, brake fade etc. in that statement.
When you finally sell your car, the first thing the new owner is going to do is put some blue fluorescent lights under the rocker panels. The times they are a'changing.

For light to a light is good. But it cannot beat a dodge charger. And it cannot beat a good Audi. Audi is very good but it has a large nose. I do not know why to talk of slips and handers. 335i is very fast. But I need a louder exhaust.

I do not seeing how a buyer would change from my orange light to blue. Orange is so much hotter. Blue is very cool but the girls like orange.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 AM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,384
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
For light to a light is good. But it cannot beat a dodge charger. And it cannot beat a good Audi. Audi is very good but it has a large nose. I do not know why to talk of slips and handers. 335i is very fast. But I need a louder exhaust.

I do not seeing how a buyer would change from my orange light to blue. Orange is so much hotter. Blue is very cool but the girls like orange.
Seriously, that might be the reason I'm not turning heads cruising Hampton Beach anymore. Does JCWhitney stock them or are they an eBay exclusive? Group buy possible?
If I install a set will they void my warranty? I usually unplug my blue ones when I go to the stealership to have my tire pressure checked.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 AM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,025
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
I was going to wait & choose between an M4 & Stingray Conv in 2014. That being said, if they can't support Blue Lights I will stay with the 335IS & my hidden magnetic switch. I am in good with the SA at the dealer & he said he would turn a blind eye to the blue lights for a bottle of Single Malt at the major holidays as long as I had them switched off for service visits.
__________________
Kevin

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
For light to a light is good. But it cannot beat a dodge charger. And it cannot beat a good Audi. Audi is very good but it has a large nose. I do not know why to talk of slips and handers. 335i is very fast. But I need a louder exhaust.

I do not seeing how a buyer would change from my orange light to blue. Orange is so much hotter. Blue is very cool but the girls like orange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Seriously, that might be the reason I'm not turning heads cruising Hampton Beach anymore. Does JCWhitney stock them or are they an eBay exclusive? Group buy possible?
If I install a set will they void my warranty? I usually unplug my blue ones when I go to the stealership to have my tire pressure checked.

Dude! Two hot words to live by: Gold Chain

Wear one or more to attract the girls and turn the heads. Bonus: Attach large, jumbo charms like golden dollar signs and gold case clocks.

You will not need your BMW after this. Or you may wish to trade for E93 to increase your chance of being seen.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Lysergic acid diethylamide? That's so sixties. Glenmorangie current drug of choice.
Limited Slip Differential? That's so sixties. Electronic torque limiting is where it's at.

DSX, at our advanced age, single malts are soooo passť. Caffeine's the substance we love, and a rippin' good time it is!

Why, just yesterday I completed a sentence and the day before, I was able to add a column of figures. In the afternoon, I now avoid involuntary naps! Who says we're over the hill?

Now, then. Differentials. That is truly 20th Century stuff. The new paradigm is risen: Electric Drive. With 4 motors, the ultimate is achieved: Total control of each wheel.

Though the vehicle has 4 wheels, maybe 3 if British, each wheel exists in an environment different than the others. Parameters relevant to existing conditions can be ID'd and quantified, and that detailed feedback used to minutely control power, spring rate, and damping over the entire range of motion. It is a brave new age, and will be transcended only by vehicle levitation!

There. Coffee came on strong. Did I do good?


Name:  Coffee mug smiley.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  2.6 KB

.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 05-05-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Bemo's Avatar
Bemo Bemo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 945
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
...Glenmorangie current drug of choice....
DSX - this is a most excellent choice and it happens to be my favorite single malt scotch, as well!

As for the topic at hand, it's good to know that modding a 335 to try and match M3's overall performance/suspension, will exceed the cost of buying an M3. I'm glad I don't have to worry about either, for the time being.

All the best,
Bemo
__________________
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:38 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
DSX - this is a most excellent choice and it happens to be my favorite single malt scotch, as well!

As for the topic at hand, it's good to know that modding a 335 to try and match M3's overall performance/suspension, will exceed the cost of buying an M3. I'm glad I don't have to worry about either, for the time being.

Used M3 only. Total suspension replacement + JB4 Meth = $7500
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Bemo's Avatar
Bemo Bemo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 945
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Upgrade to M3 or make mods to 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Used M3 only. Total suspension replacement + JB4 Meth = $7500
Does this quote of $7.5k include labor or parts only? If it's parts only, I can see the total approach a new basic M3...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-05-2013, 01:11 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Does this quote of $7.5k include labor or parts only? If it's parts only, I can see the total approach a new basic M3...

Bemo, my wife would hire labor. But real men with space to do it get what's needed t'curse 'n' wrench.

Yup, DIY and Self Reliance are profound parts of the American psyche and big pieces of the American Way.

Yes. YES! That's parts cost.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms