Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Brakes finally went at 97k miles

I bought the ZHP w/ 13k miles, previous owner had done an early brake job, so I couldn't get a free one before the warranty went out. So the brakes lasted 85k miles (brake pad light just came on) - that seems like a lot.

Turner has a full brake job kit for $419, and I think you get a 15% parts discount if they do the labor (I don't DIY since with little kids I have zero free time). That seems like a good deal for parts.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I bought the ZHP w/ 13k miles, previous owner had done an early brake job, so I couldn't get a free one before the warranty went out. So the brakes lasted 85k miles (brake pad light just came on) - that seems like a lot.

Turner has a full brake job kit for $419, and I think you get a 15% parts discount if they do the labor (I don't DIY since with little kids I have zero free time). That seems like a good deal for parts.
nice, i got solid life out of mine as well, but not 70k miles! i bought the turner kit (stock kit with the metal masters, fluid, and new sensors). if you can avoid shipping then go for it as shipping rotors gets pricey with the weight.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:

The discounted price is quite fair

85K on a set of brakes is pretty damn close for the Guiness Book, I would think....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
nice, i got solid life out of mine as well, but not 70k miles! i bought the turner kit (stock kit with the metal masters, fluid, and new sensors). if you can avoid shipping then go for it as shipping rotors gets pricey with the weight.
Turner is local so I'll have them do the work. They did a cooling system rebuild for me for like $800 w/ labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
The discounted price is quite fair

85K on a set of brakes is pretty damn close for the Guiness Book, I would think....
I didn't get close to that on my E36, but the 12 track days didn't help.

Guess it shows how boring my car life is these days. Drive to work and back. Drive to daycare and back. That's about it.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Turner among many I would trust to do the job correctly.

I got the Axxis Metal Masters from them years ago and love them.

I'm betting your not a real young guy with that kind of brake mileage.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:

Guess it shows how boring my car life is these days. Drive to work and back. Drive to daycare and back. That's about it.

Dude! You just need to find some detours with twisties! Before you pick up the kid, of course, ...ahem.... just like I do

That kind of miles on bmw brakes is unheard of. Nice drivin, grandma
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 AM

I should go through my records and make sure I didn't replace the brakes and forgot. The reason I'm sure I haven't done them is I'd never let the dealer do it ($1200+?), and haven't been using independents until recently.

I wonder if the 17 lb OZ wheels help reduce brake wear . . .

Last edited by Chris90; 05-03-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
85k miles on the brakes means you're not really enjoying the car to its fullest. I went through three sets of brakes in the first 40k miles.

Brakes jobs are generally easy. Yesterday, I did the front brakes on my neighbor's Caravan. It would have been a 30 minute job if not for the hour it took to get one of the wheels off (lug were so tight I broke two sockets including one impact socket). I could never understand why the stealerships charge so much for what must one hour of labor for them (I've changed all four corners on my car, and flushed the all lines, in under 2 hours with no lift and no power tools), because I've bought pads and rotors from the dealership and they weren't overpriced.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
85k miles on the brakes means you're not really enjoying the car to its fullest. I went through three sets of brakes in the first 40k miles.

Brakes jobs are generally easy. Yesterday, I did the front brakes on my neighbor's Caravan. It would have been a 30 minute job if not for the hour it took to get one of the wheels off (lug were so tight I broke two sockets including one impact socket). I could never understand why the stealerships charge so much for what must one hour of labor for them (I've changed all four corners on my car, and flushed the all lines, in under 2 hours with no lift and no power tools), because I've bought pads and rotors from the dealership and they weren't overpriced.
That's an understatement. 98% of my driving is with another car 10 yards in front of me. My backroad route to work is pleasant but a constant 35 mph with a car in front of me the whole 40 minutes.

I'm sure it would take me longer than 2 hours. It takes me 2 hours to change my oil.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
I can beat that! I seem to have original brakes at 128k miles. I have all the PO's records, and found no mention of brake pad replacement. I also had the dealership records pulled, and again, no mention of pad replacement. I went back to the PO, and asked if he had ever taken the car anywhere else for brake service, and he assured me he had not. He thought it was odd that he had never replaced the pads too.
He mentioned it when I first looked at the car, and I passed it off as seller BS. But, he certainly had no reason to lie after I had the car for a year. I will admit that I am a bit skeptical, but it would be a big coincidence that the PO claims he never replaced the brakes, AND the sole dealership that maintained the car also have no records of it being done. I even had someone at e46Fanatics who had access to the nationwide BMW service network records pull everything he could find, and again, nothing.
But, even if they were replaced once, it is still fairly amazing.
I used to commute a lot (90+ miles a day), and was quite used to buying new brake pads and turning the rotors every 25k or so, and new tires about as often. In fact, I purchased pads and rotors for my current e46 the day before I picked it up, since I figured I would need them soon. They are still in the closet 4 years later.
My commute miles did drop to zero, 6 months before I bought my e46. I moved to a downtown condo, so my wife and I could walk to work. But, I have put about 12k miles on the car in the last 4 years.
I am starting to see that the pads are getting thinner, but I still do not have the brake pad warning light yet, not that I will rely on that to decide when to change out the pads and rotors. I did measure the rotors, and they are still in spec, with room for them to be turned. I will probably replace them though.
All in all, I am amazed at the pad life on my e46. And no, I definitely do not baby it. Quite the opposite, in fact. I wish my Michelin PS 2's lasted as well as my brakes. I am on my 2nd, and last set of them, since they are no longer available. So, the first set lasted about 10k miles.