Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
How does bmw make I6 engines so fast?

I'm In highschool and all my friends always say their cars (trucks/jeeps) will kick my bmws ass cuss mine is V6 and their trucks are v8s an whatever. But I mean.. How does bmw make their I6 engines so powerful and fast?? I know my car is decently fast (328is) but because it's not a V8 they don't understand how it can be fast... Stupid teenagers.
Ads by Google
Old 05-02-2013, 09:12 PM
My other ride is ur wife

Mein Auto: 535is-m
Engine size has nothing to do with power. Having a v8 does not mean their car/truck/jeep is quicker at all.. It's stupid mentality of uneducated people!

Your inline, or straight 6 cylinder engine is very well designed and tuned by BMW to extract as much power possible while still being fuel efficient. A straight 6 arrangement is used in many vehicles because they extremely smooth!
Power has nothing to do with size or configuration

Get in, sit down, hang on, shut up!!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 PM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
How do you suppose motorcycles are so quick with such tiny engines? The simplest answer is horsepower to weight ratio. The lighter the car, the less power needed to go fast.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateMooney328is View Post
I'm In highschool and all my friends always say their cars (trucks/jeeps) will kick my bmws ass cuss mine is V6 and their trucks are v8s an whatever. But I mean.. How does bmw make their I6 engines so powerful and fast?? I know my car is decently fast (328is) but because it's not a V8 they don't understand how it can be fast... Stupid teenagers.
Don't forget to account for vehicle weight and aerodynamics. Fast is a subjective term. They can either be talking about a straight line race or a race involving tight turns like a track.

Bottom line: NOTHING drives like a BMW.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 PM
WYKDBMR

Mein Auto: BMW E39 6 Speed
You have an inline 6-->6 pistons in a straight line not V6. Your friends need to get over themselves! Plus they are probably driving mommy or dads car to school. Shoot I remember my first car was a 92 acura integra IN COLLEGE that I barely had enough money to buy LOL. Kids now a days are so damn spoiled and show off "their cars" to try and fit in. But getting back to your question. BMW has always made great vehicles as long as they are maintained and cared for. Their engines vary. For example the 318 e36 isn't amazingly as fast as your 328.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 PM
My other ride is ur wife

Mein Auto: 535is-m
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
How do you suppose motorcycles are so quick with such tiny engines? The simplest answer is horsepower to weight ratio. The lighter the car, the less power needed to go fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
Bottom line: NOTHING drives like a BMW

Get in, sit down, hang on, shut up!!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Just a kid with a toolbox

Mein Auto: 330ti/635csi
Quote:
They are typical kids with absolutely no understand of the internal combustion engine... what do you expect. There's so many variables in how much HP a motor puts out... and how it puts it down and ground and how it moves the whole package. Weight, trans, finial drive ratio, cam angle, injector size, ECU tuning, exhaust/intake breathing, displacement, etc.

For example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S14 (Model year: 1989-90)
STOCK 2.5L I4
HP:235

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_V8_engine#304 (Model year: 1980/81)
STOCK 5L V8
HP:125

So the S14 is literately HALF the 304 AMC. Half the displacement, half the cylinders. Size ain't everything.

Now yes those V8's generally do/can put out more HP and torque. But if it's the body of 7,000lb truck vs a 3,200lb E36..... it'll lose on the strip.

You follow?

Last edited by Jakobie1086; 05-02-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorml07 View Post
You have an inline 6-->6 pistons in a straight line not V6. Your friends need to get over themselves! Plus they are probably driving mommy or dads car to school. Shoot I remember my first car was a 92 acura integra IN COLLEGE that I barely had enough money to buy LOL. Kids now a days are so damn spoiled and show off "their cars" to try and fit in. But getting back to your question. BMW has always made great vehicles as long as they are maintained and cared for. Their engines vary. For example the 318 e36 isn't amazingly as fast as your 328.
they just dont understand how fast BMWs really are. they just fixate on the aspect that my car is "old". its really how ignorant they are but funny haha
Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Quote:
Don't let them bate you into a street race. It proves nothing and can get u killed.

That said spèd is a function of two fields of physics thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. The rest of the car is kinematics and newtons second law of motion.

Basically.

In simple terms an engine is an air pump faster air moves in and out hotter the spark the more work the engine can do.

You can increase work out put i,.e power by raising pressures in the cylinder raising compression or reving higher. V8s make more power because they are much larger 5.7l vs only 2.8l and they have two extra pistons on their cranks, so they get more torque output per revolution. All of this comes at a cost though I.e weight most v8 motors weigh 800 lbs and above a aluminum inline 6 should weigh alot less. They also can't rev as high due to the increased weight of the extra cylinder components and the fact that they are usually single can engines.

BMW engines have alot of hidden potential but they are tuned very conservatively from the factory. Look to an m motor to see the potential of your engine with modifications.

All this said don't let them get you down if they brag about their v8s being faster simply say. "You wish it was faster that thing needs 8cylinders mine only needs six, oh by the way how do you like 4.00/ gallon gas. And heated seats, oh right ur truck doesn't have that does it."

If the try to race you just say you only race around corners straights prove nothing

Last edited by 3star; 05-02-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3star View Post
Don't let them bate you into a street race. It proves nothing and can get u killed.

That said spèd is a function of two fields of physics thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. The rest of the car is kinematics and newtons second law of motion.

Basically.

In simple terms an engine is an air pump faster air moves in and out hotter the spark the more work the engine can do.

You can increase work out put i,.e power by raising pressures in the cylinder raising compression or reving higher. V8s make more power because they are much larger 5.7l vs only 2.8l and they have two extra pistons on their cranks, so they get more torque output per revolution. All of this comes at a cost though I.e weight most v8 motors weigh 800 lbs and above a aluminum inline 6 should weigh alot less. They also can't rev as high due to the increased weight of the extra cylinder components and the fact that they are usually single can engines.

BMW engines have alot of hidden potential but they are tuned very conservatively from the factory. Look to an m motor to see the potential of your engine with modifications.

All this said don't let them get you down if they brag about their v8s being faster simply say. "You wish it was faster that thing needs 8cylinders mine only needs six, oh by the way how do you like 4.00/ gallon gas. And heated seats, oh right ur truck doesn't have that does it."

If the try to race you just say you only race around corners straights prove nothing

Wow yeah you couldnt have put that better.

Last edited by NateMooney328is; 05-02-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Just a kid with a toolbox

Mein Auto: 330ti/635csi
Quote:
And heated seats, oh right ur truck doesn't have that does it."
This x10000

Whenever I get a comment about the age of my car, I just list the features which almost always has more features then these people's 02's and such.

I would disagree that BMW motors are tuned conservatively. Have you ever seen/worked on a 2001 chevy caviler I4? The intake in the baffled airbox is about 1.5inches and the exhuast is the same way

Last edited by Jakobie1086; 05-02-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 PM

People who want to drag race amuze me " wow you can press the gas pedal" you are such a skilled driver.

Try gng 80mph on a mountain road most people won't go over 40 on. And a truck physically can't go over 60 on. Your BMW will chew that road up without squealing a tire, the hardest part about driving a BMW is resisting the urge to press the brakes or lift off the throttle

People who drive straight lines from block to block can't appreciate that

Last edited by 3star; 05-02-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobie1086 View Post
This x10000

Whenever I get a comment about the age of my car, I just list the features which almost always has more features then these people's 02's and such.

I would disagree that BMW motors are tuned conservatively. Have you ever seen/worked on a 2001 chevy caviler I4? The intake in the baffled airbox is about 1.5inches and the exhuast is the same way
They are just look at a 2.5 m50 it has a 75mm stroke and a really big bore and BMW is red lining the motor at 6000. Plus the cams these engines come with? 225 duration is tiny. These motors should easily be capable of about 250hp NA without bumping up displacement, just with more aggressive cams up compression and rev to 9k.

The geometry of the motor means its designed to rev quick and high, yet bmw has a 30lb flywheel on it and rev them low. I'd say that's conservative tuning.

Plus the log style exhaust manifolds. Dude there is alot that can be squeezed from these motors

Last edited by 3star; 05-02-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 e36 sedan
Quote:
People who want to drag race amuze me " wow you can press the gas pedal" you are such a skilled driver.

Try gng 80mph on a mountain road most people won't go over 40 on. And a truck physically can't go over 60 on. Your BMW will chew that road up without squealing a tire, the hardest part about driving a BMW is resisting the urge to press the brakes or lift off the throttle
And THAT is what most drivers (especially teens) just cant grasp/and will never understand...
unless they find themselves in an M3 (etc) taking a hairpin one handed whilst thumbing the ipod for the next song.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i

Quote:

People who drive straight lines from block to block can't appreciate that
That can be said for a dodge neon as well. Put a high school teenager with no driving experience into your all mighty bimmer and a professional driver into a neon, and then see who can take that mountain road the fastest.
OP, it's all bragging rights, don't get sacked into a drag race. Learn your car, take some professional driving lessons if you or your parents can afford it, and take your car to a track and enjoy it.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
That can be said for a dodge neon as well. Put a high school teenager with no driving experience into your all mighty bimmer and a professional driver into a neon, and then see who can take that mountain road the fastest.
OP, it's all bragging rights, don't get sacked into a drag race. Learn your car, take some professional driving lessons if you or your parents can afford it, and take your car to a track and enjoy it.

Well obviously but I'm talking about a cars ability with equal drivers not a hypothetical with a pro and an amateur. That wouldld e a silly thing to consider. If you gave Schumacher a civic and an amateur a nsx most likely Schumacher will win. Doesn't make the civic a more capable car.

Cars are physically cable of certain performance qualities based on physics. Its of course up to the driver to take it to those limits
Old 05-03-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
As others have said, there's a lot that affects how "fast" a car is in terms of acceleration, top speed, etc;

-gearing
-aerodynamcis
-horsepower

NUmber of cylinders is probably the least important thing. If youre comparing 2 cars from the same year of similar weight, then generally the one w/ more cylinders has more power but even that's a gross generalization with turbos, etc.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Well obviously but I'm talking about a cars ability with equal drivers not a hypothetical with a pro and an amateur. That wouldld e a silly thing to consider. If you gave Schumacher a civic and an amateur a nsx most likely Schumacher will win. Doesn't make the civic a more capable car.

Cars are physically cable of certain performance qualities based on physics. Its of course up to the driver to take it to those limits
Then I wouldn't give this advise Try gng 80mph on a mountain road most people won't go over 40 on. And a truck physically can't go over 60 on. Your BMW will chew that road up without squealing a tire, the hardest part about driving a BMW is resisting the urge to press the brakes or lift off the throttle to a teenager with unknown driving capabilities.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Please don't street race. Save it for the track.

That being said, if someone in high school said that to me (and they did, when I had my 328i 4 door) I would quietly ignore them. If they kept at it, I would beat the ever living **** out of them until I got tired, or someone pulled me off of them.

Then, I'd tell them I just showed them what it would be like to race me. They'd inevitably fly off the road and crash, possibly killing themselves and others.

Stupid is as stupid does...

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
The Porsche 911's have a 'measley little 6' in them. Do your friends think that they can beat those? The Nissan GT-R only has a V6. Can their V8's beat those? Tell them to go home and watch some Youtube vids of these cars!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Stupid is as stupid does...
Sigged

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
Sigged
Yes!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Quote:
Yes!
It fit well with my dad's quote.

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Save your money for DE events track time, fun, safer .... better experience.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 PM
I6 feels good

Mein Auto: POS

My M3 is slow as balls!