Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 and 2011 335d
2011 x3 3.5 highway stability

Hello, first post. I came upon this site when I googled steering issues for the 2011 x3 but so far have not seen my exact potential issue. We traded in or 2009 x3 for the 2011 and I have found that on the highway in moderate to high cross winds the car behaves erratically. The old x3 was very solid in high winds and continued on where you pointed it. This model the steering wheel will be on center but the car will pull to the left or right when hit by a cross wind (I admit I am guessing/hoping it's a cross wind that is instigating this). In other words, it appears the front wheels are moving independent of the steering wheel. I will have the steering wheel pointed straight and the car will literally drive into the other lane if I do not correct it by going in the opposite direction with the steering wheel. I would expect if my front wheels are pointed enough to move me to the other lane that would be reflected on the steering wheel position. It's a very strange sensation and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

thanks, jd
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
There have been some steering issues with the new one (johnbmw6, among others) so you might want to get the dealer to check yours out. Doesn't sound like normal high wind behavior, but it could have been road surface or something extraordinary.

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-25-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Could you be experiencing this?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the responses

I don't believe it is tram lining in that the steering wheel does not move.. Just the direction of the car. For instance, I will be in the left lane and perhaps a gust of wind comes along and while the steering wheel is straight the car will move rather rapidly to the right lane while the wheel is still straight. (I have tested this by letting it go with no other drivers around). One more point is this behavior seems to lessen when I turn traction control off. Then it feels bit more like the old x3
Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 AM

Something else to help describe

Bascially I feel nothing at the steering wheel while the car is moving in another direction. No resistance or movement to reflect what the tires are doing. I have to basically overcompensate to the left or right with the steering wheel to get the car back into a straight line. So if I get blown right while the steering wheel is straight I feel out of contact with the front tires until I go pretty far off center to the left with the steering wheel. I then can put the steering wheel straight again to basically go straight again for a while. It's pretty disconcerting and something I have never experienced in any of the 3's, 1, or the older x3. And honestly all the corrections make for a not very relaxing long trip.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I have a 2011 35i and it does not do this. Doesn't sound normal to me and I haven't read of anyone elses X doing this. I would get it checked out.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
I guess this is something you could take the dealer. Might also be a good question to ask Mike Miller from the Car Club.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 01-25-2012, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
man, you do live in the windy city!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 PM

thanks for the replies.

Very windy!

I will call the dealer and perhaps BMW to discuss I will update with any information.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 - waiting
wierd steering in windy conditions

Hi,

I just posted another subject related to rain and standing water (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=596223) --the car did very well. There were also winds gusting to 55+ mph, during which we slowed down considerably--I noticed two things depending on my direction relative to the wind:

1) in headwinds, the car is very stable. In winds 45 degree-ish frontal, the car is twitchy--I had the feeling it was aerodynamics--that is, the car "loads up" at speed--hit it with a heavy side wind and the airflow is upset...none of the car's actions even remotely approached lane drift. I was surprised that a direct crosswind was less noticeable than the 45 degree frontal.

2) The steering was never involved--the car still went where it was intended, but there were shudders as the air flow separated from the car surfaces. My wife initially thought we were feeling tiny skidding/correction issues--maybe standing water, but observation proves only heavy winds cause the issue.

This is no issue at all compared to my 1990 Suburban, which drifts into the next town in a 20mph wind.

Luna-01
Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 AM

Thank you for the information

So, if I am understanding correctly even when it was twitchy the steering wheel would reflect the direction of the tires? Or was the " twitch" minimal to the point where there was no directional difference between the tires and the intended direction of the vehicle as indicated by the position of the steering wheel?

Still haven't made it to the dealership but did some more testing. The issue is most evident above 70 miles an hour.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 - waiting
wierd steering in windy conditions

Hi,

I only titled my post as "steering" since that was the original subject....

The twitches I observed did not effect the direction of the car--while I didn't choose to play with it, my feeling was that if I took my hands off the wheel, there would be no appreciable drift--I certainly was not having to correct via steering.

The feeling was odd--suggestive of the X-drive or DSC/DTC intervening in little wheel slips--that's why I thought it might be some minor hydroplaning since it was raining very hard, however, there was no indication of X-drive or DSC/DTC being activated.

In short, this was no big deal and I can see how maybe I shouldn't have brought it up--I don't have any further info with which to clarify--I was not concerned nor surprised by what we observed.

Since I was going 65 and the winds were gusting to 55mph, I would expect some noticeable reaction to virtually instant airspeed changes of 50-ish mph, particularly if at an oblique angle.

I hope this helps

Luna-01
_____
Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: x3
I've noticed simular issues with mine. My 06 x3 could handle the road at 200KPH with one hand on the wheel and ran straight. The 2011 3.5i at that speed you better have both hands on the wheel and it uses up all off the driving lane. I never drive it out of sport mode it's to loose. I've have tried 2 sets of wheels RFT's and regular no difference. The older x3 had a stiffer ride but was way more stable

Last edited by 04prox2; 01-31-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM

Sounds like I'm not alone then

04prox2 It sounds like you know exactly what I am talkimg about. Taking up the whole lane is another thing I have experienced and definitely feel like I need both hands on the wheel.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
I also think the previous generation X3 handled massive crosswins better than the current generation (owned a 04, 10 and now a 2011).

I had chalked it up to the fact that the old X3 had a much stiffer suspension, and the straight line tracking seems to be less too. My car doesnít pull or drift, but it will follow the crown in the road more than the previous generation X3 which seemed to want to go straight.

I donít have sports package on my 25i, and in strong crosswinds (30+mph) I can feel the body roll giving the impression of lateral movement. That is why I felt I should have gotten the upgraded adjustable suspension for those conditions. I also agree that it is worse in 45deg winds than straight on or 90deg winds.

What I find that works best for me, is when in very windy conditions I rest my hands on the center spokes, rather than gripping the outside of the wheel. For me this gives a better sense of whatís going on and prevents over compensation.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 AM

Thanks.

Well, my wife had taken the x3 on a long trip and said she doesn't notice any issues. I don't think she goes over 65mph so if she is happy perhaps I will let it rest until the scheduled maintenance. I am a little bummed that the experience between the old x3 and the new one are pretty much opposite.. low speed driving in the new one is a pleasure while higher speeds in the older version felt much closer to a e90 3 series. And again, turing off traction control seems to improve the stability on the new one so I will go with that when needed.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
I dont know if that can help you at all, but I had the EXACT same issue with my 2008 Mini Cooper S, even my wife did not want to drive it. The dealer did not want to fix it, so I ditched the RFT and had a wheel alignment at my cost, and the problem was all gone.

I dont know if the RFT or the alignment fixed the problem, but it drove like a dream after that
Old 07-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3, 2012 135I CAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaj View Post
Hello, first post. I came upon this site when I googled steering issues for the 2011 x3 but so far have not seen my exact potential issue. We traded in or 2009 x3 for the 2011 and I have found that on the highway in moderate to high cross winds the car behaves erratically. The old x3 was very solid in high winds and continued on where you pointed it. This model the steering wheel will be on center but the car will pull to the left or right when hit by a cross wind (I admit I am guessing/hoping it's a cross wind that is instigating this). In other words, it appears the front wheels are moving independent of the steering wheel. I will have the steering wheel pointed straight and the car will literally drive into the other lane if I do not correct it by going in the opposite direction with the steering wheel. I would expect if my front wheels are pointed enough to move me to the other lane that would be reflected on the steering wheel position. It's a very strange sensation and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

thanks, jd
Hi,

Have the same issues with our 2012 x3 2.8i. The car is very stable in the city and highway ... however if traveling over 70 mph with a moderate cross wind you have to correct the car. Feels like car is going into other lanes or will be blown off the highway.

Unlikely a 4 wheel alignment issue (With no cross wind the car goes straight and drives very well at speeds in excess of 85mph).

Just bringing this issue up as recently bought x3 for our family car to replace Honda Odyssey Touring - That car (the Honda), on the highway, felt much more stable.

Last edited by Adventure; 07-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM

it is an unerving feeling.

I noticed that turning off traction control improved the tendency to fly into another lane. Perhaps give that a try and see if you notice any improvment, as well. HOnestly, our x3 hasnt been in for service yet so still waiting to talk to service advisor about it. I am surprised there is not more complaining about this on the internet.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I'd would have thought that with the Spartanburg autobahn not far from the factory that they'd figured out high-speed stability when doing final on-road testing.......(locals know which 15km stretch of hwy I'm talking about )

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 07-23-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Our 2011 X3 is more affected by cross-winds than I expected, given the well-controlled suspension. I did get an improvement by selecting Sport mode, set to change only the suspension settings and not the gear selection. The slightly stiffer shocks did help somewhat. The vehicle height probably has something to do with it as well.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:52 PM

when your x3 is pushed by a cross wind does the steering wheel move with the direction of the car? my wheel stays straight even though the car is moving toward another lane. this is the worst part.. feels really disconnected.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X-3 35
2012 x3 35

bdaj, I am feeling your pain. My 35 is just now a year old with 12,xxx miles. in the last couple of thousand, it seems to have gained a mind of its own in the steering department. it reacts very strangely when crossing seams on the highway, almost as if the tires want to stick to the seam and stay with it. i feel as if there are more lateral forces managing the car's direction than going forward in a straight line. its as if the steering wheel is not in control of the car's direction. very disconcerting, not at all fun to drive, tiring, embarrassing as i feel i am all over the road and someone should call a dwi unit! i took it to the dealer and test drove with the shop foreman. he noticed something was awry and suggested a 4 wheel alignment and a cross-rotation of the tires. on my dime by the way as it is not a covered item under the warranty. the alignment read out showed some things "red" which means they were out of spec, but did not show to what degree. but i went along with the recommended program. no change. i am going in for my annual oil change and will not accept the car back if this is not corrected. it is so disturbing that i am considering another brand. We have four BMW's in the family and i am extremely familiar with them. the '08 X-3 3.0si drives as if it is guided by lasers. its almost a sports car with its spot on handling, brakes, and steering. the new X-3 could be the same if they got this electric steering right. i have Pirelli Cinturato tires. all my other cars run Michelins. if i put the car in sport driving mode, it feels better, but its still not the way i think a BMW should handle. Crosswinds affect the steering as well as rough roads and longitudinal seams. This is very disturbing. my suspicion is its software, or control arm bushings, or possibly tires. my fear is that its the new electric power steering and this is just the way it is. more on this from after Monday or Tuesday when i hear back from the dealer. the new loaner X-3 2.8 is much better, but still has some of that sideways front end tendencies. lots of up and down on the front fenders noticable as you drive. thinking of trading to the new four cylinder but definitely not without a fix on this. otherwise i love the car. First Post!!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Update!

We took the car in for the annual service about 1 month ago. I explained the odd behavior to our service adviser. In addition to the poor handling we also had a few steering malfunction messages pop. Right away he said it sounded like a software issue. They ran some scans and found many faults for flex-ray (not sure what they were and I am reading off he service invoice). According to paper work they did an at5100_zgm to resync the flex-ray. They also did the update for the acceleration hesitation at the same time. The car is much much more stable now and the acceleration is much smoother. It feels like a different car and I enjoy driving it now!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Given how awful I-85 in Greenville & Spartanburg Counties is immediately in front of the BMW Greer plant, I'm surprised the engineers didn't realise this when they designed the vehicle. I mean, they DO test the prototypes in the real world.....