Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 PM
TBinBETT TBinBETT is offline
Registered User
Location: Bettendorf, Iowa
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
Air conditioning issue....thoughts?

So my 335i was stored in a humid Florida garage for a few months. When I brought it back up north this spring (well, extended winter here in the Midwest), on the one warm day we actually had, I fired up the AC and a really strong sour sort of ammonia smell came out. I'd experienced this with other vehicles that had not had the AC run for awhile, but it always dissipated fairly quickly. However, this time it doesn't seem to go away at all.

Thoughts on causes and/or remedies?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 PM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,508
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Mold spores don't usually smell like ammonia, that's kind of a musty cellar smell. Unfortunately an ammonia scent means something may have died in there. The good news is that if it came from the outside, it probably got stopped by your cabin air filter. If it ate through your filter, as rodents are prone to do, then it would have gotten stopped by the next thing in line, your evaporator. That's the bad news.
Either way you need to get at the filter and take a look. Then post what you find and I'll tell you step two.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 PM
TBinBETT TBinBETT is offline
Registered User
Location: Bettendorf, Iowa
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Mold spores don't usually smell like ammonia, that's kind of a musty cellar smell. Unfortunately an ammonia scent means something may have died in there. The good news is that if it came from the outside, it probably got stopped by your cabin air filter. If it ate through your filter, as rodents are prone to do, then it would have gotten stopped by the next thing in line, your evaporator. That's the bad news.
Either way you need to get at the filter and take a look. Then post what you find and I'll tell you step two.
Thanks. I'll take a look. I'm severely mechanically disinclined, so this might get interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 PM
DSXMachina's Avatar
DSXMachina DSXMachina is offline
Non compos Mentos
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,508
Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBinBETT View Post
Thanks. I'll take a look. I'm severely mechanically disinclined, so this might get interesting.
Getting at the cabin air filter requires a minimum of know-how, and only one tool. It's also a quick job.
Do a 'search' for the R&R procedure. If you get at it and find it clean with no holes, post the info BEFORE you reinstall it. Then we'll do Step Two.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
TBinBETT TBinBETT is offline
Registered User
Location: Bettendorf, Iowa
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Getting at the cabin air filter requires a minimum of know-how, and only one tool. It's also a quick job.
Do a 'search' for the R&R procedure. If you get at it and find it clean with no holes, post the info BEFORE you reinstall it. Then we'll do Step Two.
Well it's going to be in the 40s with a chance of sleet here in the lovely Upper Mississippi River valley today, so I may not get around to checking on the AC for a couple days. But thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms