Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
How our X3 saved our lives

Howdy all, newcomer here.

Thought I'd introduce myself with what I feel is a great BMW story:

Last summer, my wife, two kids and I, were coming back from a trip to Wisconsin in my wife's 2011 X3. If you've ever driven through southwest Wisconsin, you'd know it is very hilly and wooded terrain with primarily two-lane roads.

We were on such a road and behind two vehicles - a large tanker truck carrying milk from a dairy and right behind it, a very large pickup truck (A Dodge Ram if I recall correctly). We are going up a slight incline, but there is plenty of visibility to the incoming lane and no vehicles coming our way.

The milk truck is poking along at about 45 mph in a 55 mph zone. I patiently wait for the pickup truck to pass on the long straightaway. And wait. And wait. And wait some more. When it becomes clear to me that the truck is NOT going to pass, I decide (perhaps rashly) to pass both vehicles and get on with getting home.

Literally the MOMENT I got next to the pickup, he FINALLY decides it's time to pass and without looking just lurches over into our lane.

Everything after that seems like it was in slow motion. The wife and the kids start screaming, I (somehow calmly) sharply turn the wheel to the left and dart across the oncoming lane. As I was in passing mode, this all had to be accomplished at something around 70 mph. So we careen onto a very rough shoulder - here is where the X3's handling and suspension saved our asses - despite literally JUMPING (talking all four wheels off the ground) across two drainage culverts - the vehicle stuck to the loose gravel like a champ, and finally came to a calm halt after some controlled braking.

Of course I was livid at the idiot that nearly killed us. But damn if that X3 didn't handle like a frigging rally car on our bouncy near-death ride.

At any rate, when it was time for me to pick a new car earlier this year, I went with a bimmer myself thanks to that experience. Of course, I didn't want something as "soccer mom-ish" as an X3 so I went with the 335i convertible. But I am definitely a BMW disciple now.
Ads by Google
Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 PM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
I can't count the number of times that BMW handling and brakes has helped me avoid accidents that would have occurred were I in a lesser car. That is the best safety feature of BMW's!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBinBETT View Post
.......Of course, I didn't want something as "soccer mom-ish" as an X3 so I went with the 335i convertible. ....
Yes the X3 is fast, engaging, and a sharp handling vehicle.
Great to hear that you had a good outcome!

... "soccer mom"??? - I'd characterize my X3 35i M Sport as athletic, robust, stylish maybe even hot.....

btw I owned an e93 335i MT which was fun but traded it after a year, largely out safety concerns - the idea of flipping an e93 is not pretty......
Old 05-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
HEY! no bmw is soccer mom-ish!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
My E83 was rear-ended by a driver traveling 40-45 mph with my wife and I in the car. On an '05 X3, though the damage seemed minor, the damage to the suspension and other components was enough to hit the "totalled" button.

We walked away with only a slight soreness.

The other person's car was a "you shoulda seen the other guy" story.

We went right out and ordered another X3. 'nuf said.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: whatever the Mrs doesn't
My E83 was rearended by a Honda Accord. Not even a a fair fight... $500 bumper damage to me.... totalled Accord for the other guy who was texting BTW. Ultimate Driving Machine for real !
Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Not even a fair fight! Love it!

Mine was totalled on points, the other driver's was totally totalled.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 Msport
really don't appreciate the soccer mom comment. Happy you and your family are ok but your comment is stupid.

Why put down the car like that after it just saved you and your families life? It also puts down the guys on this forum who love this car and use it as their daily driver.
2014 X3 35i. Vermillion Red Metallic, Leather Nevada Mojave, Fineline Wave Wood, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package with Top View, Dynamic Handling Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Rear Manual Side Window Shades (for my new little baby girl )

Retired 2008 335 xi
Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
deleted

Last edited by The X Men; 05-05-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: x3

"Soccer Momish?"

We're here to discuss our X3 love and you view this vehicle as embarrassing? If you drove a sedan, the low ride could have caused serious damage to your underbelly when you spiralled towards a ditch. You also had the stupidity of trying to pass 2 vehicles at the same time which included a long truck.

You could have slowed the vehicle instead of believing you had the right of way, instead of continuing the attempt to pass.

Glad you're OK and the vehicle did it's job, but you need to be more defensive and cannot rely on the technical wonders of BMW to save you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-04-2013, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
The overtaking x3 had the right of way...
Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
deleted

Last edited by The X Men; 05-05-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 AM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
True, but you always have to assume the worst about other drivers, and have a back up plan. In this case it would be preparing to brake hard and swerve slightly in the instance that one of the cars you were about to overtake was to move into your path, as others have noted. when you already know what you will do in an emergency you don't have to think about it, and the execution is smoother.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:27 AM
just some random guy

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i

I'm not sure the overtaking vehicle has ROW when it's crossed a divider. Is that really true?

Also, it might not be legal to overtake multiple cars while crossing a divider. It's certainly risky behavior in any case.

Last edited by aberrant; 05-05-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
It's legal to pass where I live. If the X3 was already passing the pickup it was the pickup driver who had the obligation to ensure the lane was clear when he pulled out.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 AM
just some random guy

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
It's legal to pass where I live. If the X3 was already passing the pickup it was the pickup driver who had the obligation to ensure the lane was clear when he pulled out.
Ah yeah, my mistake. I misunderstood the original description. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i Msport AW
Disregard OP. He drives a convertible like an elderly and basically lives in Illinois. It was probably his fault anyway.

Wait, isn't the F25 35i faster than the e93 335i? Torbs, we should race sometime, see who gets the groceries home faster.

Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 05-09-2013 at 08:22 PM.