Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 e46 318i
Angry Car wont start??

Good day Guys

i have a '99 318i e46 that wont start. I recently replaced the "crank pick-up". After that the car ran excellent. I drove it, parked it in my garage and the next day it just wont start. There's nothing wrong with the battery. The hooter and other electronical stuff works fine. It just dont want to start. When I start it there's no loose engine noises or any noise coming from the engine. It only makes a slipping sound. No clicking sound as if the battery is faulty, it only slips all the time.

Thank you.

Ulrich
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwkrull View Post
Good day Guys

i have a '99 318i e46 that wont start. I recently replaced the "crank pick-up". After that the car ran excellent. I drove it, parked it in my garage and the next day it just wont start. There's nothing wrong with the battery. The hooter and other electronical stuff works fine. It just dont want to start. When I start it there's no loose engine noises or any noise coming from the engine. It only makes a slipping sound. No clicking sound as if the battery is faulty, it only slips all the time.

Thank you.

Ulrich
Slipping sound? Like a whirring/spinning electric motor? Sounds like maybe your starter has broken so that it spins but the gear doesn't catch the flywheel to turn the engine. Did the starter get disturbed in the crank sensor repair?

And, do you guys call the horn the "hooter?"
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 e46 318i
Angry

Hi ahull

Yes it does make that spinning sound. At first I also thaught it might be the starter but the car wont even start when I tried to "kick-start" it. May it be that the car doesnt get any feul to the engine?

Yeh we do call the horn the hooter. *smile*

Ulrich
Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwkrull View Post
Hi ahull

Yes it does make that spinning sound. At first I also thaught it might be the starter but the car wont even start when I tried to "kick-start" it. May it be that the car doesnt get any feul to the engine?

Yeh we do call the horn the hooter. *smile*

Ulrich
That's great! In the US there's a chain of restaurants called Hooters where the waitress ladies are usually very pretty, usually large-chested (hOOters) and wear tight t-shirts and very short, skimpy short pants. So that's what I think of whenever someone says hooter.

If you can get the error codes read and post them that can help.

I'm not versed on the 4 cylinder engines but does the engine turn over (but not fire) when the starter runs, or does it sound/feel like the starter is spinning and not turning the engine at all?

No starts are usually either fuel or spark. When you turn the key on, but before engaging the starter, do you hear a hum from the back seat area? That's where your fuel pump is and you should hear something as the pump primes for pressure. If you hear nothing then you either have a blown fuse for it, blown relay (electric switch), or the pump is dead and needs replacement. The filter can also clog.

Get your fuel pressure (with key on) checked at the fuel rail on top of the engine - the valve looks like a bicycle tire air valve. It's a special pressure reader - in the US auto parts stores will loan them out. May have to get a mechanic. Google for the proper PSI pressure reading for your car.

Otherwise it could be a problem with your ignition switch. I also wonder if maybe the new crank sensor is faulty. Was it genuine BMW? Aftermarket sensors are known to be problematic.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 05-05-2013 at 07:22 AM.