Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 AM
wil137 wil137 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: VI
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i
Misfire During warm up

Hey Guys, I got a alraming diagnosis in my DME that say Misfire, in cylinder 1 and 6 during warm up and misfiring at operating temperature. Misfire in 5, 3 and 2 during warm up. The actually error below:

EE/B6 - Misfire, cylinder 1, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F3/B6 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)

F2/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 5, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
F0/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 3, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
EF/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 2, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)

What you think is causing this?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 AM
ahull's Avatar
ahull ahull is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,851
Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil137 View Post
Hey Guys, I got a alraming diagnosis in my DME that say Misfire, in cylinder 1 and 6 during warm up and misfiring at operating temperature. Misfire in 5, 3 and 2 during warm up. The actually error below:

EE/B6 - Misfire, cylinder 1, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F3/B6 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)

F2/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 5, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
F0/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 3, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
EF/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 2, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)

What you think is causing this?
Couple of thoughts. Has it sat for a while and this is first start in over a week? If so, could just be spark plugs slightly fouled and needing to clean themselves by running for a while- reset the codes and see if they come back on next start up after a good drive. If no other codes, how old are your plugs years/miles? Are they the right plugs for the car? Your CCV could be passing too much oil vapor through the intake and your plugs are fouling due to the excess oil. Pull one of your plugs and compare it to a plug reading guide you can find by googling. You can tell how well your car is running by how your plugs look.
__________________
2003 330i TiAg Sport Pkg ~90k miles
DIY MODS: AA Stage I supercharger, Meyle HD FCAs w Powerflex CABs, Bilstein shocks, Meyle HD Rtabs, Angel Eyes, Clear Corners/Markers w/ LEDs, LED tails, ZHP rims, Akebono pads, AUX input
DIY E46 Merit Badges: Sunroof resurrection, CCV, OFHG, VCG w/ VANOS seals, DISA, Cooling Refresh I, steering giubo, window regs, Magnetic Infandibulator (see wiki)
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 AM
wil137 wil137 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: VI
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i
Those plugs are new and are the right ones for sure. Maybe it is my CCV. How do I check that.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 AM
ahull's Avatar
ahull ahull is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,851
Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil137 View Post
Those plugs are new and are the right ones for sure. Maybe it is my CCV. How do I check that.
They are not bosch plugs are they? Bosch have been known to perform poorly in our cars, as odd as it sounds. NGK platinums w/ 4 electrodes are recommended. NGK Iridium tip will work too.

Most replace the CCV preventively around 80-100k miles. If you do a lot of short trips or went for a while with a failing thermostat that ran the engine too cool, you'll get a faster buildup of residue/sludge in there. It tends to be worse in colder climates too. To check it, the test is to start the car, take off the oil fill cap and place a ziploc bag over it. If it gets sucked in slightly, you're fine. Sucked in strongly or blown out strongly and the CCV usually has a problem.

At 85k, mine had the slightest buildup on it. I probably could have gone another 60k with no problem, but I'm in a warmer climate and have a healthy commute to work every day that gets it up to temp for at least 20 minutes each way.

You can also pull a plug or too after a run and see if you have wet oil on it.

No oil in the plug wells when you changed them? The valve cover gasket around them can leak oil into the wells and cause problems.

Otherwise make sure all the coils are on the plugs good and connecters on tight.
__________________
2003 330i TiAg Sport Pkg ~90k miles
DIY MODS: AA Stage I supercharger, Meyle HD FCAs w Powerflex CABs, Bilstein shocks, Meyle HD Rtabs, Angel Eyes, Clear Corners/Markers w/ LEDs, LED tails, ZHP rims, Akebono pads, AUX input
DIY E46 Merit Badges: Sunroof resurrection, CCV, OFHG, VCG w/ VANOS seals, DISA, Cooling Refresh I, steering giubo, window regs, Magnetic Infandibulator (see wiki)
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 05-04-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM
3star 3star is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 679
Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil137 View Post
Hey Guys, I got a alraming diagnosis in my DME that say Misfire, in cylinder 1 and 6 during warm up and misfiring at operating temperature. Misfire in 5, 3 and 2 during warm up. The actually error below:

EE/B6 - Misfire, cylinder 1, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)
F3/B6 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1), misfiring at operating temperature, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B4)

F2/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 5, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
F0/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 3, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
EF/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 2, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)

What you think is causing this?
Miss fires have 4 popular causes.

1 engine mechanical issue, like low compression causes incomplete burn in the engine. The mixture ignites in the exhaust.

2. Fuel issue I.e cars running too rich. A likely cause is a vaccum leak in the intake tract after the mass airflow sensor. The dme uses the mass reading to determine how much fuel to squirt. If less air gets to the engine tthan it thinks it runs rich.check the idle air valve one of those hoses might be cracked.

3. Ignition issue delayed or week ▀park will cause this, old plugs etc weak coils.

4. Restrictions old dirty airfilter or more likelyBlocked or failed cats. Replace those.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 PM
wil137 wil137 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: VI
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i
Sadly I did installed bosh spark plugs and I did change the value gasket. I thought that bosh part where the best parts to use in BMW. I will try out your trick with the ziplock and see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2013, 01:03 PM
wil137 wil137 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: VI
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i
I tried the CCV test, only with my hand and i felt the suction. It dont feel too hard. Also I clean my MAF. After a drive later I will check it and see if the code are still there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
They are not bosch plugs are they? Bosch have been known to perform poorly in our cars, as odd as it sounds. NGK platinums w/ 4 electrodes are recommended. NGK Iridium tip will work too.

Most replace the CCV preventively around 80-100k miles. If you do a lot of short trips or went for a while with a failing thermostat that ran the engine too cool, you'll get a faster buildup of residue/sludge in there. It tends to be worse in colder climates too. To check it, the test is to start the car, take off the oil fill cap and place a ziploc bag over it. If it gets sucked in slightly, you're fine. Sucked in strongly or blown out strongly and the CCV usually has a problem.

At 85k, mine had the slightest buildup on it. I probably could have gone another 60k with no problem, but I'm in a warmer climate and have a healthy commute to work every day that gets it up to temp for at least 20 minutes each way.

You can also pull a plug or too after a run and see if you have wet oil on it.

No oil in the plug wells when you changed them? The valve cover gasket around them can leak oil into the wells and cause problems.

Otherwise make sure all the coils are on the plugs good and connecters on tight.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-04-2013, 01:30 PM
ahull's Avatar
ahull ahull is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,851
Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil137 View Post
I tried the CCV test, only with my hand and i felt the suction. It dont feel too hard. Also I clean my MAF. After a drive later I will check it and see if the code are still there.
From the wiki:

"It is strongly recommended to ONLY use the OEM specified NGK plugs for replacements. Bosch Platinum 4 plugs are also available for the M54 engine but will often not perform, cause misfires and set CEL light and codes. Better stick with the NGKs even though they are more expensive. "

Cleaning the MAF is never a bad thing. Sounds like your ccv is fine. Hoses on it do get brittle or oil soaked over time so it's a good PM item at around the age of your car.

If you seated the plug well parts of the VCG properly then I doubt that would be the problem, but not a bad idea to check. The notch around the bolt hole on the farthest and closest ends of the plug well gasket pieces only seats one way and will leak if put on wrong. Ask me how I know But I had put on a Victor Reinz brand VC gasket that was crap and leaked everywhere anyway so I had to redo it.

I'd think if some of the other issues posted were your issue you'd have other codes besides misfires. I'm strongly leaning towards get some NGK plugs and try them out.
__________________
2003 330i TiAg Sport Pkg ~90k miles
DIY MODS: AA Stage I supercharger, Meyle HD FCAs w Powerflex CABs, Bilstein shocks, Meyle HD Rtabs, Angel Eyes, Clear Corners/Markers w/ LEDs, LED tails, ZHP rims, Akebono pads, AUX input
DIY E46 Merit Badges: Sunroof resurrection, CCV, OFHG, VCG w/ VANOS seals, DISA, Cooling Refresh I, steering giubo, window regs, Magnetic Infandibulator (see wiki)
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM
wil137 wil137 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: VI
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330i
direly noted. It suck that bosh plugs could be the source of my problem. I thought that BMW were shipped with bosh plugs. Now I am hoping I bought the right brand fuel filter, which is MAHLE. What you think about that?.....I almost bought a bosh filter thinking that bosh is the best.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 PM
ahull's Avatar
ahull ahull is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,851
Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil137 View Post
direly noted. It suck that bosh plugs could be the source of my problem. I thought that BMW were shipped with bosh plugs. Now I am hoping I bought the right brand fuel filter, which is MAHLE. What you think about that?.....I almost bought a bosh filter thinking that bosh is the best.
Bosch is usually high quality. For everything else (electronics wise) I'd say it's gold, but just a weird problem with the plugs... EDIT: It's probably one of those situations where they wanted to get into the spark plug business and contracted it out and they didn't get it right for this application.

Mahle.... I see a mahle/kayser on a reputable vendor's site. I think mine was the same. Should be fine.
__________________
2003 330i TiAg Sport Pkg ~90k miles
DIY MODS: AA Stage I supercharger, Meyle HD FCAs w Powerflex CABs, Bilstein shocks, Meyle HD Rtabs, Angel Eyes, Clear Corners/Markers w/ LEDs, LED tails, ZHP rims, Akebono pads, AUX input
DIY E46 Merit Badges: Sunroof resurrection, CCV, OFHG, VCG w/ VANOS seals, DISA, Cooling Refresh I, steering giubo, window regs, Magnetic Infandibulator (see wiki)
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 05-04-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-04-2013, 04:14 PM
ahull's Avatar
ahull ahull is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,851
Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
PS Read the wiki. Link is above your first post on this page. Tons of good stuff in there.
__________________
2003 330i TiAg Sport Pkg ~90k miles
DIY MODS: AA Stage I supercharger, Meyle HD FCAs w Powerflex CABs, Bilstein shocks, Meyle HD Rtabs, Angel Eyes, Clear Corners/Markers w/ LEDs, LED tails, ZHP rims, Akebono pads, AUX input
DIY E46 Merit Badges: Sunroof resurrection, CCV, OFHG, VCG w/ VANOS seals, DISA, Cooling Refresh I, steering giubo, window regs, Magnetic Infandibulator (see wiki)
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms