Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
change in brake pedal feel (more effort)

My 2011 M3 last had a brake fluid change over a year ago. The brake pedal travels further before any feel of braking. It is definitely a worse feel than when the car was new.
I took it in to BMW and told them I thought the brake fluid needs to be replaced. They told me the brakes were fine and the next brake fluid change is not for another year (under the BMW maintenance program).

With a high performance car like the M3 I cannot believe they change the brake fluid every two years. I believe the worsening brake pedal feel is attributable to the degradation in brake fluid (If anyone disagrees please let me know).

I am thinking of paying for the change in brake fluid just to get it done now. I have to believe that the brake fluid degrades over time, not just total degradation at the two year mark.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
It matters a lot on how and where you drive. Spirited track exercise required fluid changes very frequently. Hot brakes, hot fluids, air incorporation and mushy braking can be very dangerous.
Either your dealer, an INDY or DIY brake work is most likely needed.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: E36 325is, E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBMW View Post
My 2011 M3 last had a brake fluid change over a year ago. The brake pedal travels further before any feel of braking. It is definitely a worse feel than when the car was new.
I took it in to BMW and told them I thought the brake fluid needs to be replaced. They told me the brakes were fine and the next brake fluid change is not for another year (under the BMW maintenance program).

With a high performance car like the M3 I cannot believe they change the brake fluid every two years. I believe the worsening brake pedal feel is attributable to the degradation in brake fluid (If anyone disagrees please let me know).

I am thinking of paying for the change in brake fluid just to get it done now. I have to believe that the brake fluid degrades over time, not just total degradation at the two year mark.
Could it be that the brake lines were not properly bled? Meaning that there is some air trapped in them and hence the further travel of the brake pedal.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
change in brake pedal feel (more effort)

Brake pedal feel is always awesome after bleeding them. This only lasts for a few months in my experience.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app