Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: X5
X5 Key will unlock vehicle but will not start the car

I have and 2003 x5 3.0. One of my keys works fine. My second key does everything an remote key should do (unlocks, locks, tailgate) accept start the car. When i turn the key in the ignition, the lights, radio, control panel turn on. When I fully turn the key, it will not start the car.

It has to be a key issue as my other key works perfectly.

Any ideas as to why this would be happening and how i can fix it. I need to use both keys as my pregnant wife and I both use the car.

Hope to hear some solutions other than purchase a new 200$ key.

Thanks for your help.
Ads by Google
Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
X5 Key will unlock vehicle but will not start the car

I am not sure if these instructions will work on your x5 but they do work on other similar vintage BMWs including the x3:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...0&d=1231280426

If this doesn't help, head on over to the x5 forum and pose the question to them. You will get a faster more specific answer.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I moved your thread over to the E53 X5 forum, you should get more help here.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
The instruction in post #2 above is not going to help you because as stated in the first sentence...it's for "initialization of FZV". FZV is the central locking system.

Your issue is with EWS...the immobilizing feature that requires 2-way communication with a transponder chip inside your key that should have the same ISN (individual serial number) burnt into it that matches the other components of the EWS system (EWS-CM & DME/ECU).

You don't give any back ground details...like did this recently occur...has the key ever started the car while you owned it...was the key recently dropped or traumatized...was the key left in the ignition in the on position and the battery died overnight?

If you received the vehicle and the key has never worked...it could be a lot of scenarios where the previous owner may have purchased an eBay key and just programmed it to lock/unlock & arm/disarm (FZV/DWA) the car...and it has never been able to start the vehicle since it doesn't have the correct EWS chip inside.

You can always purchase a non remote key from your local BMW dealership...they cost MUCH less than another remote...until you can purchase another remote key.

The remote keys have THREE features that are all independent of each other but work in conjunction with each other to lock/unlock, arm/disarm, and start the vehicle. Many owners get them all confused...but understanding each system and how they all work together will cut down on some of the confusion:
  1. EWS - immobilizing system
  2. FZV - central locking system
  3. DWA - anti-theft alarm siren system

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 05-14-2013 at 08:01 AM.