Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
Next - Cracked/bent trim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked-aluminum-trim.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	375052  
Old 05-06-2013, 11:44 AM

Finally...rear doors with trim and rubber not seating correctly...my assumption as to the source of wind noise (driver's side only)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driver-rear-door-top-left-2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	375053   Click image for larger version

Name:	driver-rear-door-top-right-2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	375054   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass-rear-door-top-left.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	375055   Click image for larger version

Name:	pass-rear-door-top-right.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	375056  
Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Nice detail pictures sfiermon, all look like valid issue, the last one is kind of on the border line from what I can see in the picture. Is the wind noise coming from the front of your window or from the B pillar? Just wondering, did you inspect your Infiniti this closely as well, I think one is bound to find at least some trims that are not perfect on any car. I am not saying your issues are acceptable, but I guess what I am saying is do you really want the dealer to tear all these trims apart and replace them? Doing so might cause more problem than it solve, especially the roof rack. In my opinion, I dont think BMW USA will authorize a vehicle buy back for small problems like these and the dealer is most likely not going give you a new car and lose thousands off a car that has already been title.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM

You know...I never thought to check anything like these items when I take delivery. I assume (never again) that QA will find these things...

I did take a look at the infiniti and it's perfect. No trim or rubber is misaligned and it's over 9 months old!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Nice detail pictures sfiermon, all look like valid issue, the last one is kind of on the border line from what I can see in the picture. Is the wind noise coming from the front of your window or from the B pillar? Just wondering, did you inspect your Infiniti this closely as well, I think one is bound to find at least some trims that are not perfect on any car. I am not saying your issues are acceptable, but I guess what I am saying is do you really want the dealer to tear all these trims apart and replace them? Doing so might cause more problem than it solve, especially the roof rack. In my opinion, I dont think BMW USA will authorize a vehicle buy back for small problems like these and the dealer is most likely not going give you a new car and lose thousands off a car that has already been title.
As for the wind noise, I think it's coming from the front of the window...I think a little caulk and it should be fine. I totally hear you about replacing all these things. The owner (unprompted) already reached out to me to let me know he was aware and will stay involved through the process. I have to hand it to the dealer...I was expecting some push back but thus far, I have parts ordered, and they are placing me in a BMW loaner until they fix the noise this Friday...
Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
FWIW - I think this is a wise course to take. Whenever we have work done in our home and the like you always find damage the wrokers have done. Sometimes we force them to make corrections but then we realize that they fixed their issue and now made something else worse. Certainly, you can make them try and fix that too but often their skills don't line up and you ultimately end up with a worse mess. The key IMHO is to pre-check a vehicle and refuse to take it if there is an issue you don't like, but essentially all else I try and live with once I take, especially cosmetic stuff. When I took delivery of my Solara it had what I would call a smudge in the clear coat that no one ever noticed in the 7 years I had it but I knew it was there. The dealer offered to try and correct when I took delivery....I said thanks anyway and drove my car home.

Best of Luck and thx for posting...I will try my best to pre-inspect my wifes well before pickup this weekend.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM

not too concerned with the cosmetic stuff...more concerns about constant whistling and wind noise
Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
not too concerned with the cosmetic stuff...more concerns about constant whistling and wind noise
You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...nd+mirror+seal
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3
Wind noise or am I too picky?

Got mine back from the dealership and they repaired nothing saying they couldn't replicate the noise. They've asked me to schedule another appointment to drive with the technician. They told me there is one service bulletin related to the issue but my vehicle is outside of the production period that it is applicable for.

I used to work for a luxury vehicle manufacturer and many of the things you are pointing out are within what might be an 'acceptable' range but the total accumulation of items should have required rework to correct.

Some folks are either ignorant or have too much money to tell you that you should expect and tolerate flaws when you spend $50k on a vehicle.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Super excellent documentation, sfiermon.

I did a pretty detailed walk around the car when I picked it up and another one the other day when I re-detailed it (these kids they hire at dealerships nowadays...sheesh!! ). And I did not see or feel (one of the best diagnostics for surface and fit imperfections that I use on vintage fountain pens all the time!) any problems.

However, guided by your excellent photo documentation, I am going to take another, closer look at my car.

One of the diagnostics I have read that other people have used is to cover up an imperfection that is suspected of making wind noise with some masking tape and then drive the car. This has enabled others to definitively trace the exact source of wind noise that only occurs at expressway speed.

I hope all comes out well and in your favor.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Thanks everyone...I'd like to know if anyone else has seen similar build issues with their 2014s...I am bringing the car in on Fri and will update this thread with any findings...
Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
We aren't talking about he wooshing...we are talking about things outside of that "tolerance"

Oh yeah!! We WANT the WHOOSH!

More WHOOOOOSHSH, more Spaß (Bavarian fun ).

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone...I'd like to know if anyone else has seen similar build issues with their 2014s...I am bringing the car in on Fri and will update this thread with any findings...

I re-checked mine yesterday using your pictures and I do not have any of those issues on my vehicle.

I have not heard wind noises, although I did not drive fatser than 65 mph yesterday.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 Msport
Very sorry to hear of your issues. I would be extremely upset if I were you. When spending this much money on a car it shouldn't have issues like this, that is something I expect from a (no offense to anyone) Kia.

Have you contacted BMW customer relations yet about the issue?

Those are difficult items to notice on a walk around, I thought I did a fairly detailed walk around of my car before taking delivery but now I know for the next to do see even more.

Best of luck to getting the issues fixed.
2014 X3 35i. Vermillion Red Metallic, Leather Nevada Mojave, Fineline Wave Wood, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package with Top View, Dynamic Handling Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Rear Manual Side Window Shades (for my new little baby girl )

Retired 2008 335 xi
Old 05-08-2013, 06:13 PM

I have not notified customer relations. What would they do?

Old 05-09-2013, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i

Looks like the build quality isnt very consistent on the X3.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 AM

I called customer relations and they took all my information but said I was doing the right thing by talking to the dealer and taking it step-by-step. The woman was very nice on the phone and apologized profusely but at this point the dealer has to run through and inspect the entire car.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:14 PM

I just left it. The owner of the dealership actually came down and greeted me saying that they would take care of it. After walking around with the shop foreman, I am confident they will fix all these issues. Remember those roof rails? Apparently most other models also have this anomaly.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2.8i Alpine White

Ignore this post...
My 2 yr old son was playing with my phone...
And he posted thru BimmerApp...
Sorry guys..

-------

Km q

Last edited by Sugarrushbmw; 05-09-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Son playing with my phone...
Old 05-09-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Space Metal Gray X3
I am picking up mine a week from tomorrow. I will definitely pay attention to the condition when I am introduced to the car. Thanks for the heads up! However, sorry that you are going through this! You have been pretty psyched about getting this car!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i

I just check my car and compared them to your pictures and I do not have any of the issues you have and I do not have any wind noise. The only thing that comes close is the passenger side roof rail and even that is not as bad as yours. I have a 2013 35i. Picked on on march 30th. (Couldn't wait for the 14model) Good luck and hopefully your dealer will make it right.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 AM

Getting my car back tomorrow...this is what they have done to it:

1. Aluminum trim on passenger rear door at top was replaced and now is comparable to drivers side and other X3's.
2. Passenger mirror was replaced. During repair the gasket that meets with the window was adjusted and matches the driver side. This has also corrected the wind noise with the window down.
3. Drivers rear door trim that goes between both pieces of glass was adjusted to proper height.
4. The other piano black trim on that door was also adjusted to remove the gap that was present.
5. The seal around the mirror that is out of place on the driver's door was ordered but not replaced. We found once we removed the aluminum trim the seal fit perfectly. Upon further inspection it was found the aluminum trim is actually bent out at the bottom causing the seal distortion. New trim ordered and replaced.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35i 2013/F25
Be optimistic! I say this because yesterday my wind noise was resolved! The shadowline trim on the rear driver door was realigned. What had sounded like the window was always cracked is now fixed. It took my service shop hours of free labor to do the job and BMWNA wouldn't pay for it because my previous dealer had already messed with it (to no avail and without concern for customer satisfaction). A big shout-out to Murray BMW Denver from one pleased customer!
Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Glad to hear things are getting resolved.

I'll admit - I was sorta hoping you were being too picky, even though your photos showed otherwise. These QC issues scare me, it seems the "once over" folks at the plant aren't doing their jobs. Especially since it sounds like this isn't a one-off kinda deal.

I've scoured my X3, but you always have that lingering feeling about the things you can't see... of course that may be my QA training coming to surface...

Previously owned:
  • 2004 X3 3.0
  • 1997 328is
Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 PM

Me too...I just never expected to find these things. However, the SA confirmed everything and said that it wasn't normal. No fight or resistance...just a strong willingness to fix the issues. So...after this dust settles...this dealer just got a life customer.