Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: jeep
What do you guys think of selling my 2008 C300 Benz and buying a E36 M3

To be honest, I am Benz fan and don't really love the modern BMWs, but I do love the 90s BMWs. The E31, E36 and E38 are three of my favorite cars, they are just such sleek european road cars and they make the new bloated and bland BMWs look like nothing.

The reasons why I've been thinking about selling my 2008 C300 4Matic for a late 90s M3 with 50-100,000 miles:

-Financially smarter (if the maintenance isn't bad), the Benz still will depreciate, the M3 not so much.
-Obviously more fun to drive
-Instead of looking like a brat driving a new Mercedes, I'll look a bit cooler in a old M3

Reasons that are holding me back:
-Maintenance/repairs, the Benz has been rock solid and I expect it to be in the future not sure about an E36 M3.
-comfort for everyday use
-safety (between the speed and how well this car handles accidents, hey you never know!)
-I do really like Benzes and this was my first car (sentimental), not to mention I feel it could last me longer than a 90s M3.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by doworklax09; 05-05-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 M3
With maintence issues on the M3s you are always going to have them that is the risk you take with old cars. The mechanical issues for M3 you have the vanos system which will give out but it is not a big deal you can tell when it will give out it makes a rattling noise. The second issue is that the coolant system breaks not the best made one systems. Those are the main issues with the e36 M3. I switched from a 328i 2008 to the M3 and I have no regrets with the switch. I got my M3 with 36k miles for $12,000. If you want some quality e36 M3s, look at enthusiast auto they usually have some good ones but you got to pay a little more but it is worth it.

Mein Stolz Und Freude
Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Boring luxury car -> Engaging 90s sports car icon. This transition is not as simple as it seems. Here are a couple of points I see.

Your Merc can probably still get quite a bit of coin when you sell. Save that extra money for repairs and maintenance on the M3.

Going from AWD to RWD is going to include some potential safety issues. All wheel drive will hide driver and road flaws until it's too late, so you might not have even noticed close calls before. In the RWD you will get more warning you're approaching the edge, but those warnings might scare you into inducing more trouble instead of less. I would recommend taking some advanced driver training to increase your confidence and safety with an M3. The BMW CCA generally holds them all over the USA. This allows you to see and experience the edge without endangering yourself or your car. Then when the warning signs happen on the street, you'll automatically correct for them.

Properly kept, the E36 M3 will last a very very long time. Think 300k miles or more. Just make sure you properly maintain the car, and anticipate rather than react to, problems.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011