Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335I Sedan
screeching sound while accelerating from zero

My BMW, 2009 335i sedan, is currently at 40k+ miles and its tires were never changed. Tomorrow I am taking it to the dealership for a regular servicing as I got a call from them saying it needs service.

When I accelerate from zero to like 25mph, I hear a screeching sound in the right front wheel. I can't hear it at more than 30mph. It started recently and I feel its kind of increasing day by day. Another thing is there is no sound when I start driving after the car has rested for a long while, say in the morning. As soon as I drive like 5-10 miles, stop at a signal light and go, it starts. I can also hear it when taking a left turn but not a right turn. Last time when I took it for service, I told them the same but it was not as regular as it is now. They said its nothing. This time I want to make sure they fix it. Could anyone please tell me what could be causing this based on my car's condition I mentioned above. I can provide more details if that helps Thank you!
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
I would go drive it until the noise starts and then immediately come back home and jack up that right front and spin it by hand. You might have a bearing going out. Bearing noises have a resonance point (or speed i mean) and above that the noise and vibration subside. Not that this is the problem absolutely but one possibility.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
I used to hear a screeching sound when I accelerate too. I solved the problem by telling my girlfriend that she can't ride in my car anymore.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 PM
E60 to E90 to E92

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT
If it's a screech sound, inspect your rotor. If there's a nice groove dug into the rotor, your brake pad is toast, indicating that the metallic warning tab on the pad is now contacting the rotor, hence the screech sound. Expect a rotor and brake pad job ... for both sides. What does your current mileage countdown on the OBD computer say? If the rotor is indeed grooved and OBD says you still have sufficient mileage remaining for front brakes, perhaps a faulty brake pad sensor is to blame (or incorrect mileage calibration). OTOH, if it was a bearing, you'd get more of a groaning resonance vs. a (metallic) screech. Again for both sides, expect front bearing removal and replacement if this was the scenario.

2006 BMW E90 330i 6MT (Sparkling Graphite/Terra): retired
2008 BMW E60 Dinan M5 SMG (Indianapolis Red/Black): retired
2006 BMW E60 Dinan 550i 6MT (Titanium Grey/Auburn): retired
Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 PM

BB Cuda: Ok I will ask the dealer to check that. Somehow I feel that it has something to do with the hotness of something associated with the tires. I mean, I observed that when they are cold I don't hear any noise. But once I drive for some distance, it starts. The longer I drive(the hotter that 'thing' gets) the more audible and longer the screech is.

Last edited by bimshaz; 05-05-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I used to hear a screeching sound when I accelerate too. I solved the problem by telling my girlfriend that she can't ride in my car anymore.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleez View Post
If it's a screech sound, inspect your rotor. If there's a nice groove dug into the rotor, your brake pad is toast, indicating that the metallic warning tab on the pad is now contacting the rotor, hence the screech sound. Expect a rotor and brake pad job ... for both sides. What does your current mileage countdown on the OBD computer say? If the rotor is indeed grooved and OBD says you still have sufficient mileage remaining for front brakes, perhaps a faulty brake pad sensor is to blame (or incorrect mileage calibration). OTOH, if it was a bearing, you'd get more of a groaning resonance vs. a (metallic) screech. Again for both sides, expect front bearing removal and replacement if this was the scenario.
Forgive my ignorance, but rotor is the shiny disc like thing that I could see through the tire's rims right? I just went out and checked but there is no groove on them yet. I don't know how to check the mileage count down you said. I just did the 'check control' and it says 'check ok'. Yes, its a metallic screech.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 PM

Can i ask the dealer to do the checks that I want as part of servicing? Like inspecting brake pads, rotors, bearing, brake sensors etc? I mean can he do it other than this standard check up that they do?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Also now that the car is at 43k+, is there anything specific that needs to be replaced/replenished other than tires?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:09 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Screech from the right front, only on acceleration, goes away warm, worse on a left turn, 43K?
1. Wheel bearing
2. (Are you ready for this?) Serpentine belt defect or bad pulley bearing, or
3. Brake problem.

The bill for my diagnostics is nothing, it's worth every penny.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleez View Post
If it's a screech sound, inspect your rotor. If there's a nice groove dug into the rotor, your brake pad is toast, indicating that the metallic warning tab on the pad is now contacting the rotor, hence the screech sound.
BMWs do not use a telltale tang on the brake pads to signal when they are worn out. There is an electronic sensor on the inboard front left and inboard right rear pads. When either of those two pads wears to minimum, the sensor contacts the brake rotor and trips a warning light on the dash. If you ignore the warning and burn through the remaining pad material, there is no additional warning--just the horrific scraping and grinding (not a screech) of the pad backing plate destroying the rotor.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 AM
E60 to E90 to E92

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
BMWs do not use a telltale tang on the brake pads to signal when they are worn out. There is an electronic sensor on the inboard front left and inboard right rear pads. When either of those two pads wears to minimum, the sensor contacts the brake rotor and trips a warning light on the dash. If you ignore the warning and burn through the remaining pad material, there is no additional warning--just the horrific scraping and grinding (not a screech) of the pad backing plate destroying the rotor.
Never knew that! Appreciate the info!

2006 BMW E90 330i 6MT (Sparkling Graphite/Terra): retired
2008 BMW E60 Dinan M5 SMG (Indianapolis Red/Black): retired
2006 BMW E60 Dinan 550i 6MT (Titanium Grey/Auburn): retired