Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:42 AM
AWD rocks

Mein Auto: '09 MB E350 AWD
Question Anyone had Water Leaking into front passenger floor area?

I have water leaking into the car again. However, this time I don't see water physically coming into the car and it's not the same area. Now water is somehow leaking into the front pass. side foot area where the floor mat is and on the side of the transmission tunnel I have no idea idea if this is a leak or vast moisture is building up. BTW, I first noticed the problem because the music CDs that I keep in the z3 net (mounted on the transmission tunnel) and my floormat kept getting wet.

Psee attached pic (not my car) to view the area that get damp/wet whenever it rains.

Any ideas or has anyone had the same problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	1661
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	35733  

=========================
jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic
Missing my '02 325xi w/ manual trans

one good site: www.realoem.com

Last edited by jaisonline; 08-18-2004 at 07:47 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
We had water leak problems in our old 323iT... have you had any work done on your window regulators lately? The vapor barrier may not have been replaced properly, or as in our case, needed to be replaced (it had become porous somehow )before it would prevent water intrusion... That's where I would start... Good luck!

Edit: Just thought of something... Does it only happen when it rains, or have you been running your AC alot? May be clogged AC drain... If it happens when it rains and the car is not driven, then most likely vapor barrier... if it happens when you use the AC, clogged drain...
Old 08-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvator
We had water leak problems in our old 323iT... have you had any work done on your window regulators lately? The vapor barrier may not have been replaced properly, or as in our case, needed to be replaced (it had become porous somehow )before it would prevent water intrusion... That's where I would start... Good luck!

Edit: Just thought of something... Does it only happen when it rains, or have you been running your AC alot? May be clogged AC drain... If it happens when it rains and the car is not driven, then most likely vapor barrier... if it happens when you use the AC, clogged drain...
I'd also vote for the door vapor barrier (basically a plastic sheet), or AC drain.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:25 AM
Fomer Z Coupe Owner

Mein Auto: 01 325xit
My old E34 540i had the same problem and it was determined that the A/C condensate drain was plugged with mold and other goodies, dealer blew it out for free so I'd check that. Also I work with a guy whos 04 325i never had the drain punched out of the condenser so it overflowed from the condenser to his passenger area, since your car is older I would assume that if this were the case you would have noticed it 2 years ago, but right now I would go with a clogged A/C drain. If you can find the drain and you have an air compressor you could probably blow it out yourself.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:17 AM
AWD rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
I'd also vote for the door vapor barrier (basically a plastic sheet), or AC drain.
thanks for the reply.

however, i never had the window regulator replaced nor had the door apart so could the vapor lining still be the prob? also, if the vapor lining was the prob, how would that explain the water/dampness at the top of the carpet covering the transmission tunnel?

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 08-19-2004, 07:17 AM
AWD rocks

know where is the ac drain located in the e46? maybe that could explain the dampness on the transmission carpet.

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 08-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline
thanks for the reply.

however, i never had the window regulator replaced nor had the door apart so could the vapor lining still be the prob? also, if the vapor lining was the prob, how would that explain the water/dampness at the top of the carpet covering the transmission tunnel?
If that's the case, and you have been using your AC alot, I'd say definitely try blowing out the drain... Don't know where it is exactly, but I'd guess that if you crawled under the car (use jackstands or a lift! ) you'll probably find a small rubber hose hanging down, in towards the center of the car, under the dashboard area... My Land Rover had this problem and got soaked exactly where you show... Rubber hose was as I just described... Good luck!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
If you have a sunroof and the drain channels for the sunroof are blocked, you will get water in the passenger footwell. You can test this with a cup filled with a small bit of water. If it's blocked, run a few feet of single phone wire or CAT5 wire down the drain to clear the blockage.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:01 PM
AWD rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD
If you have a sunroof and the drain channels for the sunroof are blocked, you will get water in the passenger footwell. You can test this with a cup filled with a small bit of water. If it's blocked, run a few feet of single phone wire or CAT5 wire down the drain to clear the blockage.

hi ObD.

i will follow advice. i have 2 questions.

1. do i pour the cup of water onto the moonroof w/ it closed or on the front of it where the wind block is while it's open?

2. where is the drain opening and where does it end?

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 08-19-2004, 06:23 PM

Quote:
hi ObD.

i will follow advice. i have 2 questions.

1. do i pour the cup of water onto the moonroof w/ it closed or on the front of it where the wind block is while it's open?

2. where is the drain opening and where does it end?
1. Open moonroof, the holes are in the front corners. May need a flashlight to see them. Pour a small amount of water in the channel near the holes. If they are blocked, it won't drain and the water will backup.

2. It ends in the wheel well or in the hood channel by the A pillar. Gently use a thin wire to push from the hole of the open sunroof above. It doesn't take much to block them. I have heard a spider web will block them.

Another option is to use a hose and run water over the closed sunroof while a friend checks for water with the sunshade open.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:11 AM
AWD rocks

thanks to you, i found the leak. when i pour water into the moonroof's drain, water drips into the pass. side area from the right corner of the glovebox. i see water around the piece of black plastic (looks like it can be the glovebox's hinge but it's not).

i tried pushing cat-5 network wire through the moonroof's drains but it won't go down more than an inch. ...maybe the cat-5 wire isn't strurdy enough.

however, the water leak i found doesn't explain the dampness on the transmission tunnel.

note: water isn't entirely blocked because i did see water dripping into the road from the tire wall / a-pillar area.

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 08-20-2004, 09:44 AM

Quote:
however, the water leak i found doesn't explain the dampness on the transmission tunnel
In a rainstorm when the sunroof drain is blocked, the entire floor will be damp in the areas of your picture. Sunroofs leak. Hence the drain path.

Since you are still under warrantee, you can take it to the dealer. They usually blow it out with compressed air. If the drain is cracked, they'll fix it.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:05 PM
AWD rocks

Have any ideas I can follow to minimize the amount of water getting into the car? Even morning moisture build-up the car dampens the carpet.

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 08-21-2004, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Have any ideas I can follow to minimize the amount of water getting into the car?
Fix the leak. Use a wet configured ShopVac to vacuum up the excess water. The insulation and carpet is water logged and the mosture is from a weeping effect.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 323i
I have this same problem on my 00 323i. It seems to happen after lots of rain, even when the car hasn't been driven. Went to the dealer once, they cleared the AC drain as they said it was draining slowly. I asked that they check the sun roof drain as well, which the said they did, but a week later I have the same problem. They said they checked the vapor barrier as well. MAybe my drain is cracked...only other thing is that this has first started happening after I had the car racks mounted. The racks are off now, but I bet they use the same drain as the sunroof....might try some troubling shooting myself before I go back to the dealer.....
Old 09-09-2004, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzDave
I have this same problem on my 00 323i. It seems to happen after lots of rain, even when the car hasn't been driven. Went to the dealer once, they cleared the AC drain as they said it was draining slowly. I asked that they check the sun roof drain as well, which the said they did, but a week later I have the same problem. They said they checked the vapor barrier as well. MAybe my drain is cracked...only other thing is that this has first started happening after I had the car racks mounted. The racks are off now, but I bet they use the same drain as the sunroof....might try some troubling shooting myself before I go back to the dealer.....

Have them Check the windshield seals on the leaky side as well...